2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chicken08

by chicken08

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:49 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:06 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Still waiting for better weather, 26F in this picture.

How's your experience with these tires? pretty rare so far
Haven't been able to ride them yet unfortunately. They weren't too bad to mount, slightly harder than the GP5000 S TR. The interface between the tire and rim leaked a little sealant but sealed up nicely and have held air great since. Weight was 250g for the 27, which measures 27.7mm on my Zipp 404 FC. I bought them mainly for looks because they look killer in real life. Hopefully get out to ride soon.
How have you removed the stickers/decals of the 404 FC. Looking good :thumbup:. I consider doing the same with my 303 FC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

chicken08 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:39 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:49 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:06 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Still waiting for better weather, 26F in this picture.

How's your experience with these tires? pretty rare so far
Haven't been able to ride them yet unfortunately. They weren't too bad to mount, slightly harder than the GP5000 S TR. The interface between the tire and rim leaked a little sealant but sealed up nicely and have held air great since. Weight was 250g for the 27, which measures 27.7mm on my Zipp 404 FC. I bought them mainly for looks because they look killer in real life. Hopefully get out to ride soon.
How have you removed the stickers/decals of the 404 FC. Looking good :thumbup:. I consider doing the same with my 303 FC.
They peel off pretty easily. Nothing special. Didn't leave much residue either. Considered buying some old school white logo decals but I like the stealth look.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Has anyone put a Most Talon bar on an SL7?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

You would need a whole different headset for that to work

scottydonald

by scottydonald

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 pm
You would need a whole different headset for that to work
ahhh ok, I was not wanting to do it but my instagram has been trying to get me to buy a Dogma F and the handlebar is sooooo nice.

The new integreated Specialized one is obviously the one i have my eye on.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The main difference is that pinarello runs their cables on the sides of the steerer tube and specialized and most others on the front of the steerer

scottydonald

by scottydonald

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 pm
The main difference is that pinarello runs their cables on the sides of the steerer tube and specialized and most others on the front of the steerer
perfect thank you.

sealucky

by sealucky

deleted

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Does the old seatpost battery-grommet work with the new 9200-battery, or do you need the new grommet(S229900012)?

romainboye

by romainboye

Hello everyone,
Last build of mine. Really try to do less than 7kg !
Image Image

Job is done !

Frameset : SPECIALIZED Tarmac SL7 size 52, 100mm stem, 40cm Aerofly II (with Supacaz bar tape and Supacaz Fly Ano bottle cages) and 143mm Power Arc saddle
Wheelset : ROVAL Alpinist CLX I with butyl tubes ( :x ), 25mm GP5000 tires, 140mm Galfer Wave Road discs and 10-28 SRAM Red cassette
Groupset : SRAM Force AXS (levers, brakes, deraillers, chain) with 170mm 48/35 Red AXS crankset and SPEEDPLAY (stainless steel axles) pedals

Wanted a bike that is able to go everywhere. I think this build is made for it (i hope !)

Upgrades :
- Tan wall tires (GP5000 or Turbo Cotton)
- Latex tubes (VREDESTEIN Latex, save approx. 100g for the pair)
- Titanium axles for the pedales (another 50g saved)
- CERAMICSPEED jockey wheel system and BB :twisted: (just for the pleasure)

Feel free to give me any advice/thoughts

pushpush

by pushpush

voicycle wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm
Would love your tips on a few final details though:
  • Bottle Cages - I already hate these S-Works Rib Cage III and think I can still return them since they've only been on the indoor trainer. I've used Elite Custom Race cages on all my other bikes and really like them but wanted something more swish/carbon for this build. It's the bottle insertion angle on the Rib Cages that I don't like. Is it worth trying something like Supacaz Fly Cage Carbon or should I just spend the extra 20% to get Arundel Mandibles? Any other favourites?
  • Chainstay Protector - frameset came with one on but it looks like it's there to tick a box rather than to actually protect the frame. Doesn't even begin til about 90mm in front of the dropout. I've cut my own protectors out of Effetto Mariposa Shelter tape for my last two builds, but they were gravel bikes. Anyone here have a preferred option for a bike like this? Not necessarily minimalist as I do intend to ride and race the bike, but I don't want overkill either!
  • Other Frame Protection - my outgoing road bike doesn't have anything protecting the downtube (or elsewhere beyond chainstay) and I haven't noticed any paint chips or anything. Shall I say that's sufficient evidence to leave this frame naked too, or is it prone to damage anywhere specific that you wish you'd protected?
    Seems a bit silly to ask but I've just never had a paint job this expensive before! (Gravel race bike has MTB shelter tape on the down tube and I reckon it's taken hits that would have cracked the carbon otherwise - it's chewed to f*** and I need to refresh it for next season. But I intend to ride over far less fist-sized gravel on my SL7 8) )

Thoughts/tips appreciated. Thanks!
Cages: I was using a variety of cages and over the past 2years gradually settled on using Silca ti cages everywhere. They are light, they look good to my eye, they havent dropped any bottles yet, and they should last me the rest of my life. Expensive as hell, but all the good stuff is.

Chainstay: See frame protection

Frame protection: I recently installed invisiframe on an aethos. My first attempt was a bit intimidating but it turned out really good. It took me a long afternoon and I think if I do it again I could do it just as well in about half the time. The result is really stellar. I know it just adds weight, but it looks great, it feels great, and I love how the slippery film makes the bike effortless to clean. Dirt barely even sticks to it. --- Also it will protect your chainstay and around the bottom bracket from any chains that land where they shouldn't. Another expensive add-on but from what I have seen the protected frames seem to command the premium resale prices. I wouldnt go as far as to say that it pays for itself, but when it comes time to sell your ride, it certainly might. --- I'm currently debating if I want to add it to my SL7 or not. I probably will.

voicycle

by voicycle

Thanks pushpush, that's really helpful. I've got the invisiframe tab open & am working up to buying.

Currently trying out a set of leggeros as recommended by robbosmans & happy so far but the bike still hasn't left the trainer. Bonus with these is the pair cost me the same as one mandible would. Will add Silca Ti to the posh list in case I decide to pick up the search again though.

Also just saw this:
DanielNorway wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:55 pm
Does the old seatpost battery-grommet work with the new 9200-battery, or do you need the new grommet(S229900012)?
Guessing you've answered this elsewhere already but the old grommet works - it's not slick or seamless by any means, but there's enough give in the rubber that there's no need to buy the new one if you already have the old one. Can't remember if I saw that on youtube or if it's just somewhere in the previous 400 pages of this thread...

HHH

by HHH

IMG_1998.jpg
??????????????

Maddie

by Maddie

No front derailleur mount, therefore maybe a gravel patent but 100% not a roadbike successor à la SL7 or Venge

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk

ecsthor

by ecsthor

My new build
Size 58, Di2 12 speed and Dura Ace c50 wheels. 7.4 kg race ready.
The color is 2023, Carbon Black Granite/Chrome

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com