2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I'd argue that already less than 50% of their customer base shows up to an UCI regulated event with a venge but rather just take it out of weekend rides.

madik

by madik

There is still need for an endurance type of bike with a slightly higher stack and lower reach. Can be the same bike as Tarmac, but just different geometry and layup. Also with a bigger tire clearenc.
I would not consider current Roubaix bike to be like that as the damper is simply overkill and a gimmick for a road bike.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

I'd like to see:

1. Where Spesh goes next after this one (super light or super aero outside of UCI possibly as previously discussed)

2. If a given a choice between the SL7 and Venge on a pan flat race, what do the riders select (knowing that Spesh may have influence on this).

As a current Venge Pro rider, it looks enticing. I live in Florida however so to move over to a new platform without big improvements from the 6 to the 7 isnt worthwhile.

bespoke

by bespoke

The interesting thing about Spez is they aren't afraid to take risks. First Venge looked like a pig. Old Shiv Tri and the internal bladder as well
And the previous bikes with proprietary hub spacing
That could be argued as bad choices; but its also true they are confident enough to go their own way sometimes
So it would not surprise me at all if they did something 'out there'
Esp in the SL7 is so well resolved it covers the standard UCI requirements
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bespoke wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:20 pm
The interesting thing about Spez is they aren't afraid to take risks. First Venge looked like a pig.
You mean the second one? The Vias was a major uggo but first Venge looked pretty good for its day, I thought.

Then, the thing about going non-UCI is that I don't see that there's much point. With the new 'boxes' definitions getting rid of the 3:1 rule, plus the use of truncated aero profile tube shapes everywhere to blend aero, stiffness and maximise crosswind performance I don't see where they'd go with a non-UCI bike that would make the risk worth it. No one's going to make a beam road bike again because they're so heavy, I don't see the mamils lining up to buy an ultra-deep profile road bike because they'll be scared of getting blown into the hedgerows first ride out, you could maybe do something with trick slots and vanes and fairings that'd be banned under the 'credit card' rule but that takes a lot of explaining to people as to why it would be better...

Ultimately if it doesn't look odd it'd be tough to explain why it's faster, and if it does look odd you alienate the majority of your customers, because looks really do matter. Spesh have got two extremely solid mass market platforms in the Tarmac and Venge right now and I don't see why they'd mess with that just to take a punt on something with limited appeal. On reflection the one thing that made sense to me was the guy saying that dropping the Venge would free up resources to concentrate on the E-bike explosion. That really is the brand new customer money that everyone is fighting for right now.

bespoke

by bespoke

Yeah; I meant the Vias. That was shocking
Agree that e-bikes are where all the investment is; but I think most money is in commuting bikes and MTBs
Hard core roadies will be the last genre to embrace e-bikes fully...
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bespoke wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm
Yeah; I meant the Vias. That was shocking
Agree that e-bikes are where all the investment is; but I think most money is in commuting bikes and MTBs
Hard core roadies will be the last genre to embrace e-bikes fully...
Yeah but Spesh makes all of those, and they all need R&D and factory time and resources.

Buexx

by Buexx

Anyone with good eyesight can tell if the apparent SL7 Lbnmx posted got a BSA BB like the other recently released Specialized bikes? Too me it does not look like the cups you get for screwing them in, more like another press fit?

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Bsa is less aero more complex and heavier. No thanks. Cater to the masses to live with the classes i guess but so much for "innovate or die"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:45 pm
Bsa is less aero more complex and heavier. No thanks. Cater to the masses to live with the classes i guess but so much for "innovate or die"

Can't be that much heavier than a fully sleeved BB30 shell like Specialized resorted to on the Venge. BSA is the wrong choice, but not because of weight, aero or complexity. T47 with internal cups is the right choice because it permits more design freedom.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Two layers of metal versus one. Tapered bbinfinite module is slicker than a crenellated big round t47 shell. Marginal gains. Spesh frames arent cheap. I want all the marginal gains i can get if im paying through the nose.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:22 pm
Two layers of metal versus one. Tapered bbinfinite module is slicker than a crenellated big round t47 shell. Marginal gains. Spesh frames arent cheap. I want all the marginal gains i can get if im paying through the nose.

Installing a BBInfinite conversion on an SL6 requires a scary procedure to remove the two alloy collars/bearing seats. A BBInfinite conversion BB is also 110-120g. Removing one of those units is also a pain in the ass. On top of that they can sometimes cause hose/cable/wire clearance issues.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I removed the cups on my roubaix and installed a bbinfinite OSBB to dub bb. Cutting the cups out was a pain. Installation was a breeze. I'm a big fan of the 1 piece machined BB's. BSA is so nice from a serviceability standpoint.
Ride fast Take chances

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

It is time for a "superbike" replacement. My 13.25 Wilier Zero.7 is feeling dated. That weight is without even trying. I could drop a good bit more if I wanted.

It is looking like the S-Works SL7 is going to check all the boxes. Unless I something changes in the near future - Specialized shut up and take my money. Honestly, I have pretty much an unlimited budget for my next bike purchase. Some of you will say go custom. I already have a bike that is super light, leaps forward when putting the power down, and fits me well.

For my next bike I want disk brakes, more aero, more compliant, and still a reasonable weight. Currently, it is down to the Venge or SL7. I have not found anything else that can compete. Please offer suggestions if you disagree.

MRM

by MRM

Well you could go for a Pinarello Dogma F12 Xlight Disc if you want to spend Ferrari money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com