2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Campervan

by Campervan

Lbnmx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm
enjoy, slack was right boys
Looks like it might be the SL7, however it's got a UCI sticker on it??
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Campervan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am

Are you implying the SL7 hasn't already received UCI approval?

Darceking

by Darceking

I think he is implying it looks more like a production model then something that should be kept more secret as it has no been officially released yet.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

mrlobber wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 am
Very broadly, 0.01 CdA per square meter means 8-10W difference at 40 kph.
In square metes, not per square meter. The 'A' in CdA is area. Per square meter would just be Cd.

bespoke

by bespoke

robeambro wrote:
For whoever doesn't see how it looks like the Venge, look harder.

There's plenty of details that have changed from SL6 to mimic what's on the Venge, including how the rear stays join the seat tube, fatter head tube, fatter and more aero shaped down tube, and maybe fork.

As I had written already in some of these threads, I would imagine Spesh will now need to (unlikely) retire the Venge or (likely) reimagine it as a concept, going a bit more extrem on the aero side, using fatter tubes (eg SystemSix), innovative solutions (eg radical cockpit like the One / S5), and so on. As of now, they are pretty much two very similar bikes and it dilutes their value proposition.
So the hot rumour going round is that after the SL7 lands there will be another road platform coming next. When, you knows...
And will it be more extreme than a Venge? or will it be a super light climber? I honestly don't know
But there is apparently something coming....let the guessing begin !!
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Karvalo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am
In square metes, not per square meter. The 'A' in CdA is area. Per square meter would just be Cd.
Thanks, correct.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Campervan

by Campervan

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 am
Campervan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am

Are you implying the SL7 hasn't already received UCI approval?
Not on the current UCI list.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

robeambro

by robeambro

bespoke wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:09 am
robeambro wrote:
For whoever doesn't see how it looks like the Venge, look harder.

There's plenty of details that have changed from SL6 to mimic what's on the Venge, including how the rear stays join the seat tube, fatter head tube, fatter and more aero shaped down tube, and maybe fork.

As I had written already in some of these threads, I would imagine Spesh will now need to (unlikely) retire the Venge or (likely) reimagine it as a concept, going a bit more extrem on the aero side, using fatter tubes (eg SystemSix), innovative solutions (eg radical cockpit like the One / S5), and so on. As of now, they are pretty much two very similar bikes and it dilutes their value proposition.
So the hot rumour going round is that after the SL7 lands there will be another road platform coming next. When, you knows...
And will it be more extreme than a Venge? or will it be a super light climber? I honestly don't know
But there is apparently something coming....let the guessing begin !!
It's interesting as a thought that they would make the Tarmac their aero bike, and launch a new light bike. However, I doubt it. Making a lighter bike - without new materials and/or tech breakthroughs - is not quite the easiest way to sell, nowadays.

1) you can make a frame some 50-100g lighter than the previous generation, but with integrated cable routing this is likely to be nearly nullified. And with discs, anybody could always claim that the previous generation on rim was still lighter. Not to mention that nowadays people want more tire clearance, which isn't quite easy when you're trying to shave weight. So, you're trying to develop a new bike and having current trends working against you.

2) even if one managed to actually shave 100g, they can'y possibly claim any performance benefit from it - nowadays only the cycling equivalent of flat earthers would think that 100g off the bike will make them win races.

3) there are no R&D synergies - no other bike in their range is aimed at reducing weight. Which means that most possibly, R&D is more expensive.

If you decide to make a more aero bike instead:

1) you can make forks as wide as you like increasing aero and clearance, internally route cables improving aesthetics & aero.. So you develop a new bike AND follow new trends at the same time.

2) whenever you make a bike that is a smidge more aero, you can claim that "it's the fastest", or "saves 3 seconds at 40kmh", which sounds far better for marketing purposes (and, if the difference is substantial, it may actually make you race better..)

3) there are plenty of R&D synergies here - they can use all that they've learned from developing the Shiv - which means that most likely, they can borrow ideas & solutions, and total R&D costs will be lower.

So, I don't quite see why why they'd go for a new lightweight bike. We still live very much in an "aero is everything" world..
Last edited by robeambro on Tue May 26, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Campervan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:57 am

Not on the current UCI list.

As always, manufacturers can ask for their new frames/wheels to be hidden from the list.

bespoke

by bespoke

Agreed; thats the rumour
But I cant get my head around fact they would need to reposition the tarmac as the new Venge and then something is the new tarmac !
Seems a collosal effort

Their current range is diverge, roubaix, Tarmac, Venge
Pretty much every genre and sub genre covered
Not sure what a new platform would address
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Who will be the first big brand with a road boost bike?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Aeo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:56 pm
Who will be the first big brand with a road boost bike?

Cannondale has already done something worse with the Topstone Carbon. They offset the rear triangle and dish of the rear wheel by 6mm. I’d rather have road boost, even if it means additional wheelsets.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Pure speculation on my part,

Tarmac becomes the uci bike race bike

Venge moves outside uci rules for more aero gains

scapewalker

by scapewalker

PeytonM wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:21 pm
Pure speculation on my part,

Tarmac becomes the uci bike race bike

Venge moves outside uci rules for more aero gains
I'd love to see major brands add a bike outside the uci regulations to their linup.

It makes so much sense if it wasn't for fact it could be hard to market of pros can't use it in competition.

Still gets a huge thumbs up from me.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

There is a big Triathlon market to appeal to and a lot of those guys don't want a full TT bike so could make a lot of sense, and also give them a bike for weekend club runs
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com