2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marian

by marian

I use this one:
https://framesandgear.com/shop/model/ta ... or-garmin/

You have to always use additional plate with thread. I mentioned it here a while ago.

Attermann

by Attermann

You can get them on aliexpress, they are well made and cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voicycle

by voicycle

pushpush wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:44 pm
voicycle wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm
Would love your tips on a few final details though:
  • Bottle Cages - I already hate these S-Works Rib Cage III and think I can still return them since they've only been on the indoor trainer. I've used Elite Custom Race cages on all my other bikes and really like them but wanted something more swish/carbon for this build. It's the bottle insertion angle on the Rib Cages that I don't like. Is it worth trying something like Supacaz Fly Cage Carbon or should I just spend the extra 20% to get Arundel Mandibles? Any other favourites?
  • Chainstay Protector - frameset came with one on but it looks like it's there to tick a box rather than to actually protect the frame. Doesn't even begin til about 90mm in front of the dropout. I've cut my own protectors out of Effetto Mariposa Shelter tape for my last two builds, but they were gravel bikes. Anyone here have a preferred option for a bike like this? Not necessarily minimalist as I do intend to ride and race the bike, but I don't want overkill either!
  • Other Frame Protection - my outgoing road bike doesn't have anything protecting the downtube (or elsewhere beyond chainstay) and I haven't noticed any paint chips or anything. Shall I say that's sufficient evidence to leave this frame naked too, or is it prone to damage anywhere specific that you wish you'd protected?
    Seems a bit silly to ask but I've just never had a paint job this expensive before! (Gravel race bike has MTB shelter tape on the down tube and I reckon it's taken hits that would have cracked the carbon otherwise - it's chewed to f*** and I need to refresh it for next season. But I intend to ride over far less fist-sized gravel on my SL7 8) )

Thoughts/tips appreciated. Thanks!
Cages: I was using a variety of cages and over the past 2years gradually settled on using Silca ti cages everywhere. They are light, they look good to my eye, they havent dropped any bottles yet, and they should last me the rest of my life. Expensive as hell, but all the good stuff is.

Chainstay: See frame protection

Frame protection: I recently installed invisiframe on an aethos. My first attempt was a bit intimidating but it turned out really good. It took me a long afternoon and I think if I do it again I could do it just as well in about half the time. The result is really stellar. I know it just adds weight, but it looks great, it feels great, and I love how the slippery film makes the bike effortless to clean. Dirt barely even sticks to it. --- Also it will protect your chainstay and around the bottom bracket from any chains that land where they shouldn't. Another expensive add-on but from what I have seen the protected frames seem to command the premium resale prices. I wouldnt go as far as to say that it pays for itself, but when it comes time to sell your ride, it certainly might. --- I'm currently debating if I want to add it to my SL7 or not. I probably will.
So I went ahead with invisiframe and the jury's still out for me. Weight penalty less than expected - maybe 30-40g (no solid numbers as I also swapped to Rhino's RD hanger, changed bottle cages, and added sealant since last weigh-in). No real issues with the weight as it's not a weight weenie build anyway (R8100, heavy/comfy Aeolus Elite saddle, etc.)

It has made the bike full stealth though. Mine is 2021 Dusty Blue Pearl/Metallic, so the logo is just a matte version of the rest of the paint job. Invisiframe turns it all gloss, so you can only just barely see the outline of the lettering now and you have to be pretty close to even see that. Given that I chose the paint job partly for the understated logo I'm kind of into it, but I'm not sure yet how I feel about having obscured the branding entirely.

Also pretty much the whole reason I did it was to have a perfect chainstay protector, but this one doesn't actually wrap to the inside of the chainstay, I ended up covering the remainder with some 3m helitape but I'm not sure how it's going to do given that the seam is sort of at peak strike-point for the chain. That whole piece may have to come off before too long.

The frame protection is indeed invisible though and, as you say, having done one whole bike I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient with a second one. Didn't realise tension was important to get all the water out, particularly when going around a corner such as the transition from the top to the edges of the top tube. I've got some air bubbles that I could have avoided. Had it sussed by the time I got to the fork legs though.
It also crossed my mind to not use the whole kit, instead picking out just the bits where rock strikes are likely. But that would still involve obscuring the S-Works branding so I didn't really see the advantage.
IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2670.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg

HHH

by HHH

WTF!...From Spain!...Remco's LTD!
FB_IMG_1677717169005.jpg
FB_IMG_1677717155555.jpg
FB_IMG_1677717152145.jpg
Attachments
FB_IMG_1677717169005.jpg

henau212

by henau212

Specialized is dropping the price 20% on most bikes in Europe. Unfortunately, road and gravel bikes are not included atm it seems (mostly electronic and MTB). Hopefully only a question of time..

GaBa

by GaBa

When is this happening?

Edit: seen in cycle chat that this is actual with March. No effect on Aethos or Crux and other member checked Tarmac and no difference as well. I saw Epic HT are on sale with 10% discount. As you've already written but I write faster than I read :S

henau212

by henau212

GaBa wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:56 am
When is this happening?

Edit: seen in cycle chat that this is actual with March. No effect on Aethos or Crux and other member checked Tarmac and no difference as well. I saw Epic HT are on sale with 10% discount. As you've already written but I write faster than I read :S
20% are off now, at least here in Germany (for example SWorks Stumpjumper 11.000 instead of 13.700: https://www.specialized.com/de/de/s-wor ... 263-199753
But basically MTBs and E-Bikes only atm.

Maybe sales of road and gravel bikes are stable so no need for reduction?

otnemem

by otnemem

Just ordered an S-Works SL7 frameset in the longest-named "Gloss Marbled Lagoon Blue-Purple Haze - Orichid-Blaze/Violet Purple Topcoat/Midnight Shadow".

It wasn't really planned so now I'll be reading the thread all the way from page 350 which is where I think I left it last :lol:
Already found out the Pro Vibe Aero Superlight is super compatible so that's a good start.

Kevin7767

by Kevin7767

Just FYI in case you were waiting on a 38cm Rapide handlebar... there are now a ton in stock. On the main website it shows out of stock but if you search for in-store locations a bunch will come up. They're still on sale for $225 as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roval ... 21022-0438

phillyt1988

by phillyt1988

Got mine built up this week, Expert with Rapide CLX II's coming in at 7.2kg without pedals in a size 49.
Waiting on some Rapide bars to finish it off hence the slightly long hoses.
Colour is so much better in person.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

love that colour!

biglmbass

by biglmbass

@phillyt1988
Did the computer mount come with the bike??

phillyt1988

by phillyt1988

biglmbass wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:30 pm
@phillyt1988
Did the computer mount come with the bike??
Afraid not, neither did the carbon seat rail clamps.

walkch

by walkch

My 56cm 2021 S-Works Speed of Light ('Specialized' logo Olympic frameset edition) is coming in at 7.29kg including pedals, cages, mounts and sensors. Lovely looking bike in the flesh but feels a bit on the heavy side for the overall build (not that I'm one to talk - I come on one the heavy side too!!). I bought this one because I love the painjob but does make me wonder how much all that sparkle weighs.

CF617ECF-3C33-4DF5-919A-C7BD833CD4D2.jpeg
DA 9170 Di2, 11-28 cassette
Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubeless
SRM Origin w/DA rings (52/36) and Look arms
Ceramicspeed BSA30 BB (Coated)
Roval Rapide 42cm bars
Look Keo Carbon Ti Ceramic pedals
Straight seatpost w/Di2 adapter housing
Specialized computer mount and Garmin speed sensor
SRM chain catcher w/magnet
Arundel Mandible cages
Fi'zik Arione 00 saddle
Last edited by walkch on Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com