Move to Sydney - advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

haha... hook, line and sinker ;-) :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:34 am
robertbb wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:30 am
The correct answer is C) choose Melbourne.
Melbourne is a hole... with cooler people. Choose Sydney.

Oh an re campagnolo, you'll have no problem with parts, but mechanics here are hit and miss cause its so unpopular here. Just learn to service your bike yourself and you'll be right.
Agree- Melboune sucks unless you're into fat old dudes yelling "bang bang!" when they roll up behind you.

A few excellent Campagnolo mechanics- Felice @ Cycling Projects is epic.

alicetaylor1

by alicetaylor1

Don't worry, Sydney's layout offers a decent balance, allowing for quick escapes to less urbanized areas for some quality riding. There are several fast exit routes and offroad detours that you can take advantage of, so you won't be stuck in suburbia for long.

satanas

by satanas

Sydney drivers and traffic suck; Melbourne is much better in that regard, as is Europe, North America, etc.

The best way to get out of town fast IMHO is to catch the train, otherwise it's a long slog unless you're near the edge of what's a very large and spread out urban area.

As for Campag spares, parts can be hard to come by and may need to be ordered from Europe; that's likely to be cheaper even if you can find them here.

velov

by velov

alicetaylor1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 am
Don't worry, Sydney's layout offers a decent balance, allowing for quick escapes to less urbanized areas for some quality riding. There are several fast exit routes and offroad detours that you can take advantage of, so you won't be stuck in suburbia for long.
You replied to a post from 2019

warthog101

by warthog101

Wookski wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 am
zappafile123 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Oh an re campagnolo, you'll have no problem with parts, but mechanics here are hit and miss cause its so unpopular here. Just learn to service your bike yourself and you'll be right.
Agree- Melboune sucks unless you're into fat old dudes yelling "bang bang!" when they roll up behind you.

They are both appalling. Congested, polluted and expensive. Get the hell out is my advice.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:40 am
Wookski wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 am
zappafile123 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

They are both appalling. Congested, polluted and expensive. Get the hell out is my advice.
Live in Sydney, grew up in Melbourne and still spend about 2 months a year there. Im convinced inner Melbourne riding is more dangerous than inner Sydney. My idea is that thats due to two main things - trams, and drivers used to cyclists being in bike lanes (who then have 0 tolerance for cyclists who are not in lanes (when there are none)). Re trams, there are heaps of one lane roads where cars share the lane with trams, you have a meter wide bike lane, then cars on the left. There are way more cyclists on the road in Melbourne and we all know the average cyclist, and especially delivery riders a *f##k* hopeless and erratic. Its just a danger zone with obstacles and threats coming from all directions, whether that be shitty cyclists, pedestrains, people exiting their parks cars, drivers trying to cut between trams. I'd love to get hospital stats, but deaths in Melbs seem more common (even factoring for the larger population of cyclists).
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

warthog101

by warthog101

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:12 am

Live in Sydney, grew up in Melbourne and still spend about 2 months a year there. Im convinced inner Melbourne riding is more dangerous than inner Sydney. My idea is that thats due to two main things - trams, and drivers used to cyclists being in bike lanes (who then have 0 tolerance for cyclists who are not in lanes (when there are none)). Re trams, there are heaps of one lane roads where cars share the lane with trams, you have a meter wide bike lane, then cars on the left. There are way more cyclists on the road in Melbourne and we all know the average cyclist, and especially delivery riders a *f##k* hopeless and erratic. Its just a danger zone with obstacles and threats coming from all directions, whether that be shitty cyclists, pedestrains, people exiting their parks cars, drivers trying to cut between trams. I'd love to get hospital stats, but deaths in Melbs seem more common (even factoring for the larger population of cyclists).

Have a look there;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SAkJdD6O8R

My point was they are both cities. Expensive, crowded and congested. Horrible places to live imo.
Grew up in Melb. Got out 30 years ago. Hate it.
Sydney? Can't remember the last time I went there. No hurry to return.
Not for me. Millions clearly disagree with me however.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Riding in Sydney, personally is alot better than the UK.

I find the riding in most of the UK, underwhelming at best. (obvs lakes, etc is great, but in general, daily riding is average)

Riding in Sydney is incredible, for example, centential park, i have never missed being able to ride in a circle more than when i moved to london and having nowhere to do structured training without having to worry too much about cars.

The coastal rides you can do are amazing, and i miss being able to ride through so much coastline with relatively low traffic like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/991504840 and watch the sun come up over the ocean and then ride into work.

Negatives:
- Most rides roll out at 6am (mainly due to traffic)
- Weekend Rides, most long rides take about 30kms before getting into the nice riding, but that's pretty standard living in a major city.
- Over policing of cyclists, needing a bell, needing a helmet for communiting bikes, stopping for every red-light (won't matter to you if it's something you already do, but a factor nevertheless)
- Nowhere near the amount of racing you can do compared to the UK, there's one main crit circuit and a few road races always in the same spot.

Happy to share some routes with you if you like.

Cellulight

by Cellulight

I recently moved and had the same concerns about riding in Sydney, fearing I'd be stuck navigating endless suburbia or struggling to find challenging routes. To my surprise, it turned out not to be as bad as I thought. Sydney offers a great mix of terrain, and while some areas are flat, there are plenty of hills and off-road tracks that provide both a challenge and beautiful scenery, especially around the outskirts.

On top of the riding concerns, the stress of moving my stuff was weighing heavily on me. But, the people in Sydney turned out to be incredibly friendly and helpful. My new neighbors suggested checking out an article for moving costs and details, which really helped make the process smoother.

So, from my experience, moving to Sydney isn't just about adapting to a new riding environment. It's also about joining a community that's ready to help you through the transition.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Riding in Sydney, as long as you're away from the CBD is OK. The better bet, IMHO, is to live north of the harbour because it takes less time to get to nicer places eg Gorges, Palmy, Manly, Calga, and the best ride in the area, Ettalong loop
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg