Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

req110

by req110

req110 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:49 pm
I have RTL515, and unlike RTL510, i am getting outrageous amount of false positives (alarms) from riders behind me while road cycling.

I wouldn't have problem with getting one alarm from rider who shows up and chasing me. That's would be normal.

Problem is that if i go riding with my partner, and she is behind me all the time, there are sometimes situations, where i get like 7 false positivies while she is 1-2m behind me and for example moving from my left to ride side. ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR/ALARM/CLEAR like this during one maneuver. This sometimes happen even if she is stable 1m behind me. Drives crazy. This is happening multiple times during our rides and making the device completely useless.

This was not happening on RTL510.

- Happens on MTB, road or gravel bike
- Happens with original mount provided by garmin
- Happens in multiple heights on seatpost
- Tested with Garmin Edge 830 + Wahoo Bolt v1, v2, all same.
- Tested with Varia app on my iphone, happens as well.
- Serial number 6EZ159607.
- Unpaired, paired, same results
- Latest firmware 3.32, garmin express says it's up to date
This was resolved only by getting new item on RMA.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stermyx

by stermyx

lukaszzsch wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:05 am
Check shapeways
Thank you!! You discovered me a new site full of cool things. I was viewing, but normally they dont specify the weight.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I purchased a one from Shapeways and I attached it to the seat rails w/zipties. The Garmin mount was in a bad place and my thighs would just rub against it. The Shapeways mount solved that, but there was no way to adjust the unit so it was never perpendicular to the ground. It worked, it just always bothered me.

I never weighed it, but it was small, made of plastic, and attached with zipties, it could not have weighed that much.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW8NP ... =223246485

stermyx

by stermyx

Butcher wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:45 pm
I purchased a one from Shapeways and I attached it to the seat rails w/zipties. The Garmin mount was in a bad place and my thighs would just rub against it. The Shapeways mount solved that, but there was no way to adjust the unit so it was never perpendicular to the ground. It worked, it just always bothered me.

I never weighed it, but it was small, made of plastic, and attached with zipties, it could not have weighed that much.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW8NP ... =223246485
Thanks, i have seen it. Im trying to get out as much weight as possible, so its interesting for me to know the weight...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

When I upgrade, I usually give my items to friends. I gave my RTL500 to my friend who rides mountain bikes. The rear suspension hit the light and shattered the mount. Sorry, I cannot help with the weight, but I cannot imagine you will find one substantually lighter. You could buy two and modify one of them to make it lighter. It used to be a badge of honor 'tuning' parts.

stermyx

by stermyx

Butcher wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:02 pm
When I upgrade, I usually give my items to friends. I gave my RTL500 to my friend who rides mountain bikes. The rear suspension hit the light and shattered the mount. Sorry, I cannot help with the weight, but I cannot imagine you will find one substantually lighter. You could buy two and modify one of them to make it lighter. It used to be a badge of honor 'tuning' parts.
Yes, seeing yours its harder to imagine any other lighter. Thanks.

card0s

by card0s

stermyx wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:42 pm
lukaszzsch wrote:
Check shapeways
Thank you!! You discovered me a new site full of cool things. I was viewing, but normally they dont specify the weight.
User Lucendi from the forum also does high quality custom 3D printed mounts.
He printed a mount for my Varia that fits my S-Works saddle SWAT system, I love it!

stermyx

by stermyx

card0s wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:27 pm
stermyx wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:42 pm
lukaszzsch wrote:
Check shapeways
User Lucendi from the forum also does high quality custom 3D printed mounts.
He printed a mount for my Varia that fits my S-Works saddle SWAT system, I love it!

Thank you, ill ask him.

London9921

by London9921

Butcher wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 am
I just picked mine up today. Went on a ride and looked at the videos. The radar works like my retired RTL510. I'm still trying to figure out the new toy. I like the setting where the light flashes more as objects approach. I thought I could set that using my 830, but I did not spend a lot of time reading the manual. I suspect most of us are that way. I was able to install the factory mount to keep the unit high so my legs will not hit the light. The RTL510 stock mount was ditched because of that.

All I want with a camera is some recorded information before I'm dead. If I'm lucky, the information will be recorded before I get hit. This works well for that. I used the Garmin app and was able to view my video clips within seconds of pressing play. As you would expect, if the camera is pointing back, it's not going to record anything other than the bad.

My rides are typcially 2 hours or less. I suspect the most I would ride is not much more than 6 hours. The battery life should be ok for me. I ride in the city a lot so I suspect I would keep the video on continuous. If I rode in the country and wanted maxium battery life, I would have it on the auto mode [records when object are approaching].

If you are looking for a camera to brag about your ride, this is probably not it. If you are looking for proof of some jack wagon hitting you from behind, it works as advertised. I highly doubt I will look at any videos in the future. I suspect that the video's will be recorded over and over each other. None will be posted for other to gawk at. I can only hope the lawyer and insurance companies will make good use of the information when I'm no longer posting.

It's not nearly as bad as what DC Rainmaker makes it out to be. If you are looking for a GoPro with a tail light, I guess you would be upset. Since it's not sold that way, I do not think Garmin is misleading anyone.

I stopped by my friends work to show him and he says it looks hideous. It's a pregnant RTL510/515.
Hey

How's yours holding up? Can't see posting dates on the forum so it leaves a bit of guesswork.

I'm not looking for anything "fun" but rather, as you put it, something that can record an oncoming accident should it happen.

Is the light as strong as the 515?

Cheers

Xabi

by Xabi

I had the first varianradar that stopped using because battery won't last longer than 3hours.

I find it a bit pointless in most situations because I can hear traffic coming from behind 99% of the times.

I found it very useful on fast descends when you can't hear anything because of speed, I could use left lane whithout having to turn my head to check if cars were coming from behind.

Now using a Chinese 10€ light that is smaller and lighter and lasts longer, don't miss the radar function.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I wouldn't ride without one. Most of my riding is out in the country on narrow-ish roads with no shoulder where sometimes I don't see cars for 10-15 miles at a time. It's great to be able to just ride in the middle of the lane without looking behind myself, and to be able to know when a car is coming and move over. I was so tired of constantly riding "in the gutter" and looking back so much
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

London9921 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:22 am
How's yours holding up?
It works like new. Have I used the camera? No. I guess that is a good thing. I had the original light/radar that Garmin made and I do feel this one is more senstive. I believe I read that others could see if someone is approaching on a bike [trying to pass] and yes, the camera version is that sensitive. I never got that warning with the older version.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

My 510 started having issues. While out of warranty Garmin replaced it anyway for no cost to me except a deposit until they get my 510 back. They did replace it with a RTL515. Win-win!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

People bad mouth Garmin all the time, maybe it's justified, but I have always had good luck with their product.

The only gripe I have with them is that I got their Varia Vision [heads up display]. I like it, a lot. Sadly, it does not work with the 840. Still works with their radar. I now carry my old 820 just so the Varia Vision works. PITA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

if you need a nice mount for your garmins take a look here
https://neat-components.com