Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
rollinslow

by rollinslow

I've been wearing Rapha for years, as well as other high-end brands like Assos, Cafe du Cycliste, etc. What do people think about changes in Rapha quality over the last 1-2 years?

I'm starting to notice that my clothes from a few years ago seem better made than the current ones. I also have noticed that a lot of their manufacturing techniques are changing. A good example of this is on their classic jersey update using bonded seams (glued-together jersey?). With the degree to which they can discount their clothing on sale I suspect production costs have been reduced somehow.

Curious what other think....
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

What I like... generally anything proteam level.. the bib really work for me.. except for proteam lightweight is no good.

What I dont like.. classic and lightweight... jerseys and bibs.. only thing lightweight I like is socks.

I have not tried the CORE stuff.. so I dont know.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kode54

by kode54

i tend to agree on the OP comments. Some of my newer lightweight jerseys sag so much after a few rides that I cannot wear them anymore. The previous versions seem to have more quality built in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jih

by jih

Proteam fit seems to be a lot less slim than it used to be. Seemed to start as a genuine attempt to produce a kit for very fit cyclists, but more often than not now it appears to be cut to accommodate a beer gut. No problem with any body shape, but cutting wider around the belly means that the pockets hang loose and bounce around on slimmer riders.

Shrike

by Shrike

Rapha replaced my Thermal Pro Team bibs after a couple of washes left them with rubber strands coming out of the straps. Now I’m noticing on the replacement pair some rubberlike balling on the back of the bibs above the chamois area.

I never saw anything like that before on any pair of bibs. Shame because they’re a great fitting and looking product, but I’m going to try something else next. Would feel too much of a dick asking for a second replacement especially as I’ve done a couple thousand miles in this pair.

Kinda would prefer the bibs to last a bit longer though..

I love their aero long sleeve jerseys though. Those things are tough.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I should add that I’m an RCC member so I’m pretty serious about their kit in general.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

cannot stand their classic stuff, the fit is way off, feels like it was deigned for seriously obese individual. Pro-team line is pretty decent, i enjoyed a lot of the new updates like double zipped vest and jacket, oversized plastic zippers on jersey, etc

mvcap

by mvcap

A while back I started a thread here on "cheap vs high end kit." Shortly after, I hit a Rapha sale pretty hard for different lines... Core, Classic, and Pro Team (bibs, jerseys, jackets). I am 6ft 150lbs, so slim, and the Core and Classic jerseys/jackets just don't fit well. Loose/baggy as previously mentioned above.

Core bibs are comfortable on the bike, but I have been surprised by the stitching quality (or lack thereof). Had to have chamois re-sewn along the perimeter in 2 pair, and have a 3rd pair with the shoulder strap stitching looking a mess with loose strands.

Pro Team stuff fits great and seems to be of better quality, but I'm also interested in hearing from others about it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:03 am
I should add that I’m an RCC member so I’m pretty serious about their kit in general.

yeah I'm RCC as well..

Js2

by Js2

Quality seem to have been more inconsistent as of last 2 years i think, even in the sizing department. Sometimes both size small fits slightly different (accross classic and pro team). I have sold most of my rapha jerseys have sinced moved on to other brand. Collar stitching on my aero jersey starting to come apart, minor things here and there.

It's a shame assos jersey looks so boring or just plain outright weird design, their jersey (different fabric different areas) and bibs are the best I have worn from trying all sorts of brand including cafe du cycliste, rapha, tenspeed hero, castelli, giordana, velocio, etc.

Doesn't bunch up where you don't want it and the sleeve never rides up and wrinkle like no tomorrow in riding position. But damn, the only color I would wear from assos is... Black....

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Absolutely went down in Quality... been RCC since 2009. My kits from back then, still intact and usable. Some of the newer ones from (bought just because wanting newer colors) from 2-3 years ago, Now garbage, torn seams, stretched panels and bands, color fading, and tried to repair seams and such, now they simply either reject or vouchers for next purchases which i could careless because not buying anytime soon. Back around 4-5 years ago, they either repaired very much to new condition, or replaced with new same model (namely classics line etc)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CLEAR wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:17 am
Absolutely went down in Quality... been RCC since 2009. My kits from back then, still intact and usable. Some of the newer ones from (bought just because wanting newer colors) from 2-3 years ago, Now garbage, torn seams, stretched panels and bands, color fading, and tried to repair seams and such, now they simply either reject or vouchers for next purchases which i could careless because not buying anytime soon. Back around 4-5 years ago, they either repaired very much to new condition, or replaced with new same model (namely classics line etc)
funny I do have some pre-RCC imperial stuff that is pretty good still.

robertbb

by robertbb

Like any manufacturer - varies from line to line, garment to garment, fabric to fabric, year to year and even the (underpaid, overworked sweatshop) hands that stitched them make a massive difference.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

yep - gave up with Rapha years ago - only use Q36.5 & PNS now :-)

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Yeah, I'm too attached to give up but constantly tempted. I definitely don't wear the bibs anymore and stick to jerseys etc. Like others, I've never tried the core line and only have pro team or classic to compare to. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but the shoes, for example are omly 250$. I really like them but also question whether they will hold up like my Sidi's because you can only make a good shoe to a certain degree at that price.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com