Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
kervelo

by kervelo

Rapha has lately had so many problems with their products that it makes me wonder if they have done any testing before launching them to the public. Quite recently they had issues with the breaking bib inserts and now I see they have issues with the material of the winter tights. The issues are not related to just materials: some riders have complained that the sizing/fit of some of their latest jackets/jerseys is strange and not the same between different products. At the same time you can get the similar products, but with better quality from other companies much cheaper, so how is Rapha going to keep their customers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

Any experiences with the Men's Brevet Gilet?

wilwil

by wilwil

kervelo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:45 am
Rapha has lately had so many problems with their products that it makes me wonder if they have done any testing before launching them to the public. Quite recently they had issues with the breaking bib inserts and now I see they have issues with the material of the winter tights. The issues are not related to just materials: some riders have complained that the sizing/fit of some of their latest jackets/jerseys is strange and not the same between different products. At the same time you can get the similar products, but with better quality from other companies much cheaper, so how is Rapha going to keep their customers?
I bought a PT long sleeve jersey the new Gortex Infinium one. It was so short it was more like a matadors jacket. Almost impossible to access the pockets. A lot of customer reviews say the same thing. Sent it back. The regular PT long sleeve jerasey on the other hand is almost too long.

garbageman

by garbageman

jayjay wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:41 pm
I have an older version (with pockets and off-center zip). The lower zipper pull tab broke off on the 2nd or 3rd time wearing it. I pulled down on the lower zip to close it after going into my jersey pockets and the pull tab broke clean off. I also have a Pro Team insulated gilet and the exact same thing happened. In neither instance was I tugging or pulling on the zipper with much force. The zippers look the same on the current Rapha gilets. I wouldn't recommend any product using these zippers - the top seems plenty sturdy but the bottom zip is too fragile. Be very gentle with the lower zipper if you do get one.

Other than the zipper issue it's a decent product. It doesn't flap in the wind like my (much tighter-fitting) Pro Team gilet does, ironically.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

wilwil wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:22 pm
kervelo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:45 am
I bought a PT long sleeve jersey the new Gortex Infinium one. It was so short it was more like a matadors jacket. Almost impossible to access the pockets. A lot of customer reviews say the same thing. Sent it back. The regular PT long sleeve jerasey on the other hand is almost too long.
I also got the Infinium jersey. Yes it is very short but I think that's how it's supposed to be, because it's race cut. Although for a cold weather jersey, it should be at least a bit longer in the back. It's the same problem imo when it comes to their GT rain jacket. I like what Le Col are doing with those types of jackets, making them really long at the back.

I think what most have complained about is the sizing being very tight in the chest. It's the same with mine, but on the bike it's perfect.

The SS Pro Team jersey is the same length as the infinium jersey. At least mine are. What I find weird though is that the PT jersey is shorter than the aero jersey in the same size.

When it comes to gore-tex products from Rapha, I always have to size up from S to M.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just ordered the gravel race jersey. Does anyone have one? Is the fit as tight as the aero jersey? I've seen people complain about 3/4 zipper and it being hard to put on.

Also another question. Has anyone ever got something in womens sizing? I mean for male use. In that case, which womens size garments correspond to male sizes?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Konsi wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:00 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:25 pm
Konsi wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:59 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:56 pm
I passed on Pro Team. Now I am looking at the Cargo winter tights. How prevalent is degrading of the reflective material? I've seen many claiming that. Also seen some saying that the crotch isn't warm enough.

I am 70kg and 180 cm. Not sure wether I need S or M. I wear S in Pro Team bibs. But Pro Team winterbibs felt very tight in S on me.

I'm weighing between Assos Mille GTO C2 winter tights and these. From what I gather, Rapha can be used in a bit higher temps. Crotch seems better protected on Assos.
I quite like the Cargo Winter Tights. Wear them in M (180cm/72kg). So far the reflective material on mine (navy blue) is fine, have worn them for at least 3000km each (probably more on the oldest pair)
I am 180cm and 70kg right now. But I am not in my usual shape at the moment. My in form weight is about 67kg. So I ordered both S and M. Do they fit tight on you or regular?

That's reassuring to hear that they aren't peeling. What do you think about the crotch beeing too cold? Have you had that issue? Do you wash them after every ride? I've seen that some don't but I always do.
I wouldn't want them tighter, but I have rather big legs and little upper body. I wash them after every ride, but inside out. Crotch temperature hasn't been really an issue yet

D3515A3D-60E3-4AB7-8A5F-CD1183B703C4.jpeg
Nice image, seems fun. Thanks for the info. I ordered both S and M, and I'll report back on here how the fit is.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

MilesG813

by MilesG813

garbageman wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:27 pm
jayjay wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:41 pm
I have an older version (with pockets and off-center zip). The lower zipper pull tab broke off on the 2nd or 3rd time wearing it. I pulled down on the lower zip to close it after going into my jersey pockets and the pull tab broke clean off. I also have a Pro Team insulated gilet and the exact same thing happened. In neither instance was I tugging or pulling on the zipper with much force. The zippers look the same on the current Rapha gilets. I wouldn't recommend any product using these zippers - the top seems plenty sturdy but the bottom zip is too fragile. Be very gentle with the lower zipper if you do get one.

Other than the zipper issue it's a decent product. It doesn't flap in the wind like my (much tighter-fitting) Pro Team gilet does, ironically.
I also have the pro team insulated gilet in meduim and have experienced none of those zipper problems although in fairness there is a weird bunching at the shoulders that does cause it to flap a little in the wind. I am 6'1" and 78kgs. Works welldown to about 56 degrees.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

kytyree

by kytyree

I've had the bottom zipper break on a Rapha Brevet Insulated vest, I ordered a bad of replacement tabs on Amazon. Really a problem that has gone on for far too long at Rapha. I do like the insulated Brevet vest.

I've had that thinner brevet vest too, back when it had the off center zip, I wasn't impressed, material seemed cheap, off center zipper I've never really understood? Why is rubbing on the side of my neck or jaw preferable to the front of my neck and chin? Anway it'd keep the wind out but it's nothing special for sure.

I don't really understand the idea behind "race cut" meaning short to them. It's a weird fit to me and can push the pockets up on the back too high.

wilwil

by wilwil

kytyree wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 pm
I've had the bottom zipper break on a Rapha Brevet Insulated vest, I ordered a bad of replacement tabs on Amazon. Really a problem that has gone on for far too long at Rapha. I do like the insulated Brevet vest.

I've had that thinner brevet vest too, back when it had the off center zip, I wasn't impressed, material seemed cheap, off center zipper I've never really understood? Why is rubbing on the side of my neck or jaw preferable to the front of my neck and chin? Anway it'd keep the wind out but it's nothing special for sure.

I don't really understand the idea behind "race cut" meaning short to them. It's a weird fit to me and can push the pockets up on the back too high.
I wonder how many people actually race in Pro Team kit? Normally you would wear team or club kit. I also wonder how many PT wearers have pro bodies. I prefer the look and style of PT thats why I wear it. I still think the PT Gortex jersey is too short even for a pro, mine was a large and if I was race weight I'd be medium which would make it even shorter.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

wilwil wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:01 pm
kytyree wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 pm

I wonder how many people actually race in Pro Team kit? Normally you would wear team or club kit. I also wonder how many PT wearers have pro bodies. I prefer the look and style of PT thats why I wear it. I still think the PT Gortex jersey is too short even for a pro, mine was a large and if I was race weight I'd be medium which would make it even shorter.
I wear medium and agree at 6'1" the pockets are inconveniently high. Although I do not find the overall cut too short. I do not think I would want it bunching up when I am bent over or even just adding extra fabric to the crease.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

BBres

by BBres

I am considering Rapha Pro Team jersey or Pro Team Training jersey. I need a very short and tight jersey.

My question is about the length of the jerseys - are they generally the same fit and length?

The second matter is cuffs - allegedly the cuffs tend to be either too loose (too wide) or too short.

Is that true? What are your impressions?

alanyu

by alanyu

BBres wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:27 am
I am considering Rapha Pro Team jersey or Pro Team Training jersey. I need a very short and tight jersey.

My question is about the length of the jerseys - are they generally the same fit and length?

The second matter is cuffs - allegedly the cuffs tend to be either too loose (too wide) or too short.

Is that true? What are your impressions?
I have the old PT training jersey 2019 in XS. I have an extremely skinny upper body and my upper arm circumference is 24-25 cm for referrence. It fits my body, not too tight, but the cuff is indeed too loose for me. I'd like to have it 2 cm smaller in circumference.