Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
trimenc

by trimenc

First off: I love Rapha! I have many, many items....despite my wife pleading with me not to let them treat me like crap AGAIN. I even have hard goods like helmets, shoes, glasses, travel bags, etc. However, I do go mad with their sizing. I can be a medium in one item and a Large in the same item but different color. I too have had problems with their wool polo shirts having holes in them fresh out of the package, never washed or worn.

I have bought Donkey Label, Black Sheep and others that I have liked just as much...if not more. Unique stuff that you don't see on anyone else and incredible quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

TurboTommy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm
asiantrick wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm
PNS is waaaayyy overpriced for something that made by Santini. I have to give them props though with their social media marketing strategies. They went hard on instagram with all their ambassadors.
Why does it matter who produces it if it’s nice fitting quality kit? Have you tried it?

Lots of companies produce/manufacture other companies designs.

The pricing is similar to full price rapha.
Yes I own a PNS TKO kit (gift), and no Santini quality is not on par with Assos nor Q36.5 -- not even close. But I put them slightly above the current Rapha line.

It DOES matter because as a consumer I feel like i'm getting ripped off. I understand everyone need to make money and the mark up, but 200% (probably higher) mark up is ridiculous for a PNS naming. Best comparison would be buying a NOVE(open mold) bike frame. Paying $3K for a frame that I can get directly from the factory for $500.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

The only Rapha garment I've ever purchased - a long sleeve winter wool blend jersey - started to unravel at the bottom hem on the second or third wash. I sent a photo of the damage to Rapha, and received a response that yes, they had had some QC problems with their garment manufacturer.

I fixed the problem myself on my sewing machine, and have had no further problems with the jersey over several winters.

Boshk

by Boshk

Over 2yrs, I got:

1x Classic Bibshorts.....my best pair, very comfortable, used regularly over a year....still the same. Good thing is, it doesn't leave stitching marks all over my legs unlike Endura Pro SL and Castelli. The only other bibshorts that don't leave a mark that I own are Assos Mille.
2x Classic jersey....not for summer weather, looks the same as new
1x Pro team flyweight jersey....best jersey I have, so comfortable, wicks sweat, used 6 mths+, looks like new
3x socks.....fine so far
1x lightweight shadow long sleeve.....still in bag.......no idea, got on sale.
1x long sleeve Brevet jersey....6 months, still all good, warm, comfortable fit

Just bought a Pro team bibshorts on sale $160, going to see what the hype is and how it compares against the Classic.

All my cycling clothes I either wash by hand or gentle machine 30C or Cold.
If I cannot wash it straight away, I rinse to get the sweat out and let it air/hang dry......whether it does anything, I don't know, I only know it doesn't stink up my luggage :mrgreen:

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 pm
TurboTommy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm
asiantrick wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm
PNS is waaaayyy overpriced for something that made by Santini. I have to give them props though with their social media marketing strategies. They went hard on instagram with all their ambassadors.
Why does it matter who produces it if it’s nice fitting quality kit? Have you tried it?

Lots of companies produce/manufacture other companies designs.

The pricing is similar to full price rapha.
Yes I own a PNS TKO kit (gift), and no Santini quality is not on par with Assos nor Q36.5 -- not even close. But I put them slightly above the current Rapha line.

It DOES matter because as a consumer I feel like i'm getting ripped off. I understand everyone need to make money and the mark up, but 200% (probably higher) mark up is ridiculous for a PNS naming. Best comparison would be buying a NOVE(open mold) bike frame. Paying $3K for a frame that I can get directly from the factory for $500.
Either you’re missing or just ignoring my point. Either way there’s a limit to how much time I can spend going back and fourth on a cycle kit.

Just because the kit is made by Santini doesn’t mean it’s the same design or materiel as santini own brand kit. The same way s works bikes are made by Merida. Doesn’t mean they aren’t specialized designs. So it’s not the same as going direct to supplier no. If you like you can show me the santini own brand kit that is the same?

Also you sat pns is better quality than rapha. So by your definition santini is better than rapha? I have had santini own brand kit. That’s not my experience of their bibs at all. The pad is no where near the same quality.

Mark up is mark up. You have no idea exactly how much mark up any cycle company puts on their kit but it is a stick constantly used to beat people with. I too have lots of different brands of kit to compare with. For example I wouldn’t pay for assos jerseys because I think the designs are dated and garish. There’s no clever marketing in the world that could sell me one of those.

853guy

by 853guy

Edited: *Misread the point of the thread. Carry on.*

853guy

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Just got a few items from the new season from Rapha. It's pretty obvious the quality is not what it was before when put side by side. Too bad because I love the style and would pay more if the quality was better. Assos it is.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have the rapha aero jersey... the one with the longer sleeves (not full length).

For what little it is worth i think it is now my favourite jersey. One because i am a thin guy and it fits really well. Second because it’s style is very subtle without in your face logos (castelli... i am referring to you).

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Boshk wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:59 am

Just bought a Pro team bibshorts on sale $160, going to see what the hype is and how it compares against the Classic.
wow ppl actually pay $160 for a pair of bib shorts? and here I thought these are expensive
https://www.probikekit.com/sports-short ... 73305.html

velov

by velov

ChiZ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 am
wow ppl actually pay $160 for a pair of bib shorts? and here I thought these are expensive
https://www.probikekit.com/sports-short ... 73305.html

You're on the wrong forum if you're surprised by people paying $160 for a pair of bibs.

1415chris

by 1415chris

$160???? Why would anybody pay so little? ;)

guyc

by guyc

Wait until he sees what people pay for shoes.

davidalone

by davidalone

has any 1 tried the Katusha stuff? it's really nice....

peted76

by peted76

I actually prefer Rapha's off the bike clothes more than their on bike clothes nowadays.

bespoke

by bespoke

peted76 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 am
I actually prefer Rapha's off the bike clothes more than their on bike clothes nowadays.
Before they were sold Simon publicly stated the growth of surf brands to non surfers (ie Quiksilver) showed how big the casual market is
That’s a lot more scaleable than us cyclists and our constant moaning!
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com