Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
fluoroller

by fluoroller

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am
Hmmm, just had a look at the isolé website and can't say I'm impressed, either a) with the designs or b) with the site itself, very basic and lacking in content. They won't be beating Rapha like that, and isolé means isolated in French which is kind of an odd word....The About Us page has a hairy legged guy wearing some dirty $50 MTB shoes, weird....!

I have seen some jerseys with PNS on the back. Is that Pas Normal? Those 3 letters are kind of too close to another 5 letter word for comfort...... :o
Yes 🙃

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

trikobe wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:08 am
Sorry if this is off topic, but can anyone compare sizing of rapha pro team jerseys n bibs with that of PNS? Looking to move away from rapha.
I have both and PNS is a better fit for me. I’m just shy of 6’4 and 77kg. I like my jerseys to be snug. I’m XL in both jerseys and L in bibs. The PNS jersey fits me very well. Often XL is a little loose on me but ‘race fit’ can be too short in the midriff so it’s tricky. The PNS jersey is nice and snug but also not too short. The rapha jersey is a similar length but baggier. I have to echo what others have said as I feel rapha has gone downhill a little. Seems like the pro range isn’t as tight fitted as it was 3 years ago maybe. I’ve stopped buying their jerseys. My favourite jerseys at the moment are PNS, Void and endless. I don’t mind maap but again I think they could be slightly snugger on me.

I really like both rapha and PNS bibs. But again rapha are let down a little I think by the new leg gripper.i preferred the design of the original pro team bibs. Both use really nice material though and have good compression for me. I found the pns shoulder straps a little loose but I don’t feel like this compromises overall compression. The PNS pad is a little further forward in the bibs I noticed (I’m talking about pns mechanism bibs). But overall, along with asoss I can wear all these bibs all day and not really think about them in terms of discomfort. They all have nice pads etc.

But yeah. The branding of PNS is a little unfortunate....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

Had a number of jerseys from Rapha over the last few years - all Merino wool stuff and not noticed any change in quality. Just bought a pair of Brevet Bibs as they are the only ones I've found that fit from Rapha. Very comfortable but no idea on how well they will stand up to wear and tear...

A

guyc

by guyc

TurboTommy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am
I’m talking about pns mechanism.......
Tommy neatly demonstrating the PNS branding issue :lol:

JayDee81

by JayDee81

guyc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm
TurboTommy wrote:
I am lucky I never even considered their clothing, cause you completely ruined the brand for me.

guyc

by guyc

I think it's down to UK drivers already calling me enough names. I don't need to help them.

That said, I notice they're doing more with Pas Normal Studios branding so I don't think the branding issues for English-speakers have escaped them now.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Yes, the Pas Normal PNS branding is terrible unfortunately. I can't get over it to buy something.....
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

guyc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm
TurboTommy wrote:
:lol: dare I say it’s one you can either get your head around or you can’t :oops:

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I've been buying Rapha exclusively for the last 4 or 5 years and generally have been very happy. I started with the Core line and while the jersey was decent I quickly moved up to their more expensive jerseys. I'm a bit thicker around the middle (5'10", 195lbs) so I love the classic fit stuff - Classic, Brevet, Lightweight jerseys are awesome. I have a few Pro Team items that I'll either buy the correct size and they are very fitted or go one size up.

When I got the Core jersey I got a pair of the Core bibs as well and loved them. I haven't used anything but the Core bibs for years. Never saw the need to spend more on shorts when they worked so well for me. This season I bought a pair of the Core Cargo shorts in my usual Medium and they feel signigficantly smaller with much narrower leg grippers than my previous ones so they tend to squeeze my leg a bit oddly. I was hoping they would stretch out a bit with use but no such luck. After about 1000kms I notice some fraying on the chamois threading. It hasn't got worse but for the first time I felt like Rapha's quality has dropped. My first couple pairs were $185CAD and I feel like the Core's were the best bang for buck bib on the market. The price has now dropped to $160 so that worries me a bit from a quality standpoint. I may need to either pony up some more dough and get something a bit higher end or look for another suitable replacement.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I've bought several bibs and jerseys, plus vests, jacket, socks etc from Rapha during last few years. So far I'm very happy with the overall quality. The oldest pieces I have show very little age after all the miles on the road and in the washer. I don't put them into dryer per Rapah's care instructions and I suppose that helps to keep the fabric in good condition.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

PNS is waaaayyy overpriced for something that made by Santini. I have to give them props though with their social media marketing strategies. They went hard on instagram with all their ambassadors.

micky

by micky

Really made by Santini?
I always thought it was from APG.

Shrike

by Shrike

Cycling kit is getting really good looking now. Rapha's new season colours coming in are looking great for both men and women. Even MAAP has some stuff that's toned down and stylish in a pared back way.

PNS is my favourite right now though. Their colours are class, would love a full PNS kit.

Just, like guys say above, can't get over the ridiculous branding. Imagine their jackets without the Helvetica spam all over it. If they ever sort their act out and rebrand or tone the branding down I'll be all over their stuff.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Shrike wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 pm
Cycling kit is getting really good looking now. Rapha's new season colours coming in are looking great for both men and women. Even MAAP has some stuff that's toned down and stylish in a pared back way.

PNS is my favourite right now though. Their colours are class, would love a full PNS kit.

Just, like guys say above, can't get over the ridiculous branding. Imagine their jackets without the Helvetica spam all over it. If they ever sort their act out and rebrand or tone the branding down I'll be all over their stuff.

wow WTF, they need to pay ppl wear those billboards

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm
PNS is waaaayyy overpriced for something that made by Santini. I have to give them props though with their social media marketing strategies. They went hard on instagram with all their ambassadors.
Why does it matter who produces it if it’s nice fitting quality kit? Have you tried it?

Lots of companies produce/manufacture other companies designs.

The pricing is similar to full price rapha.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com