Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Stueys

by Stueys

Same experience, been wearing Rapha for about 6 years or so, love their gear as the fit has always been spot on for me (Pro team) but generally finding the quality has been down over the last few years. Stitching doesn't last, seams starting to split, etc, etc.

A friend keeps telling me to try Q36.5 so will give them a shot.

okimy

by okimy

I found that the Rapha Core SS and LS varied quite drastically in fit. The LS I have is noticeably tighter than the SS which really shouldn't happen IMO. But to be fair, these were my first jerseys so I went for normal clothing size (M) which is waay too baggy for cycling kit for me (I'm somewhere between S and XS). I mainly wear their kit on trainer sessions now, it's a shame since I really like the Canyon-Sram colours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petert123

by petert123

I tend to agree with the premise of this thread. I used Assos for 20 years before making the switch about 10 years ago - mostly because I like the plain colours and simpler designs - Assos to this day are still a bit 'busy' for me, their shorts are the best still. I tend to go for the Rapha Pro Team range, mostly because of it fits me pretty well, in black and the darker colours. I say in the last year I've noticed quicker signs of wear, more threads coming loose etc. I've had to return 2 pairs of shorts for repair, in both cases they wear very quickly. It's mostly for this reason that I'm leaving Rapha - got to the point where I can't keep returning stuff, need to vote with my wallet and go somewhere else.

Like many people I've built up a wardrobe of kit, and I like my kit to match, which is why I tend to prefer the brands that offer kit for all year round riding (I'm in the UK). At this point I'm thinking that I'll try Assos again, or perhaps something like MAAP, which is now available here more easily.

kytyree

by kytyree

I agree, I still regularly wear a pair of I think Classic bibs and I have a pair of 3/4's that are probably over 10 years old that are in the cold weather rotation. On the other hand the pair of Pro Team II's I have are in the worst condition of any of the Rapha bottoms I own and are my everything else is dirty so I guess I'll wear these bibs. Absolutely not as well stitched nor are they as comfortable.

My older Rapha jerseys are all still pretty serviceable and my old Classic long sleeve jersey is one of my all time favorite pieces of kit. My only experience with the new jerseys is orderting one and returning it and it'll take some convincing for me to try another one, unless I'm at one of their stores and seeing it in the flesh changes my mind.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm an RCC member and have a few bits of nice Rapha kit, Pro Team mainly, but nothing fits me quite like Castelli Free Aero Race shorts and I've tried Assos, Cafe du Cycliste, Sportful, etc. etc.

The Rapha PT aero jerseys are very nice, but I only ever buy in the sales.

Conza

by Conza

Was RCC. Still Rapha through and through though. Since 2012 or so. 7 years. Had Industry programme discounts - so basically went to town over the years.

Originally in Brisbane - so humid, hot, summer all the time - kit focus. Only ever PT, or light weight options. All still hold up really well.
Moved to Melbourne - 2 1/2 years ago. So had to get proper winter kit, cooler stuff. More arm warmers, gilets, etc. all about the layers.

I commute with DHB though and save all my good stuff for "proper rides" / training. Lasts forever in that sense.

I can't really comment on recent quality, since I've had all my stuff for ages - with little desire to try core. Classic I've always known is loose. Not interested in light-weight/summer stuff either.

What I have been buying is city gear. All great. Denim jeans, cotton trousers etc. I've had no issues.

Although some merino shirts lately and undershirts - have developed random holes in them?! I hand wash them all. Gentley. I am at a loss - no snags or anything. Anyone else experienced this?
It's all about the adventure :o .

TonyM

by TonyM

Assos for 35 years now.
2 years ago I tried Rapha Pro team because of the buzz and Castelli Rosso Corsa because of their design but the quality of Assos is just better and I do prefer the best quality. I also like the “black line” of many Assos jackets etc...and dislike the Rapha distinctive design especially the RCC. The pricing of Assos feels however sometimes quite prohibitive, for example for their jackets etc...but definitely worth it.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Conza wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 pm
Was RCC. Still Rapha through and through though. Since 2012 or so. 7 years. Had Industry programme discounts - so basically went to town over the years.

Originally in Brisbane - so humid, hot, summer all the time - kit focus. Only ever PT, or light weight options. All still hold up really well.
Moved to Melbourne - 2 1/2 years ago. So had to get proper winter kit, cooler stuff. More arm warmers, gilets, etc. all about the layers.

I commute with DHB though and save all my good stuff for "proper rides" / training. Lasts forever in that sense.

I can't really comment on recent quality, since I've had all my stuff for ages - with little desire to try core. Classic I've always known is loose. Not interested in light-weight/summer stuff either.

What I have been buying is city gear. All great. Denim jeans, cotton trousers etc. I've had no issues.

Although some merino shirts lately and undershirts - have developed random holes in them?! I hand wash them all. Gentley. I am at a loss - no snags or anything. Anyone else experienced this?

I have 2 merino undershirts that are still in great shape but I haven't used them a ton (maybe 15 rides). They ar a bit scratchy for what that's worth.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I gave up on Rapha after all my pro kit rubber stiching start coming off after less than 5 wash (air dry only). Ended up selling all my pro rapha line.

Now the only brand I wear are Assos and Q36.5. I have recently started trying out Isoles which own by Jakob Fuglsang, and i'm loving their quality so far.

velov

by velov

Agree on the general Rapha sentiment, I've moved to Pas Normal, Pedla and Maap. If Assos were to hire some new designers I would be on board.

TonyM

by TonyM

velov wrote:Agree on the general Rapha sentiment, I've moved to Pas Normal, Pedla and Maap. If Assos were to hire some new designers I would be on board.
Yepp Assos always had a “German design” as some call it...(even if they are located in Ticino, the Italian part of Switzerland)
They however have a new Marketing Director since 1 or 2 years now. Hence some new design from Assos.

trikobe

by trikobe

Sorry if this is off topic, but can anyone compare sizing of rapha pro team jerseys n bibs with that of PNS? Looking to move away from rapha.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

asiantrick wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 pm
I gave up on Rapha after all my pro kit rubber stiching start coming off after less than 5 wash (air dry only). Ended up selling all my pro rapha line.

Now the only brand I wear are Assos and Q36.5. I have recently started trying out Isoles which own by Jakob Fuglsang, and i'm loving their quality so far.
Thank you for the Isoles reference, I had not heard of that company. Isadore, also owned by (ex-) pro cyclists (the Velits Brothers), is another quality choice.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Hmmm, just had a look at the isolé website and can't say I'm impressed, either a) with the designs or b) with the site itself, very basic and lacking in content. They won't be beating Rapha like that, and isolé means isolated in French which is kind of an odd word....The About Us page has a hairy legged guy wearing some dirty $50 MTB shoes, weird....!

I have seen some jerseys with PNS on the back. Is that Pas Normal? Those 3 letters are kind of too close to another 5 letter word for comfort...... :o

micky

by micky

Can't say Im a long time Rapha costumers but bought few items, mostly from Pro Team line.
Last winter got a pair of PT bibs to match a jersey and beside the design being "oldish" for modern bibs, the elastic grips at the end of the legs are already flapping in the wind after few months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com