Ceramicspeed Driven - shifting teaser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

There are a few problems I see with this.

1. Hardened bearings on to a comparatively soft machined gear wheel - the bearings will chew the gears up
2. The drive side chain stay is elevated so the wheel is effectively cantilevered
3. You've got a counter torque on the drive side chain stay so that will need reinforcing.
4. It has been designed by Ceramicspeed, a company that has very questionable engineering.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

tarmackev

by tarmackev

What happens if a stone flick up and gets caught in the gears or chain? There doesnt look to be anywhere for anything to go? Nothing like a rear mech to take slack off the drivetrain. With a big chunck of rock wedged would it all go "POP"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

I saw a pic with a 'cowl' covering it all.... seems miles of being a 'race ready' idea.. but innovaton is a good thing and as long as they continue with this, you never know it could what we're all using on our commuting bikes/ tandems / cargo bikes in a few years time.. perhaps if it were enclosed it could be a decent alternative to internal Roholff style gears?

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I cant imagine it would be workable off road solution at the moment. I know when riding gravel. CX or MTB at times my chain can get totally covered in crap. Even with a cover there'd have to be a gap somehwere? Any decent sized build up going in to the mechanism could cause chaos.

Who knows though, it could be a big part of cycling. Maybe town and commmuter style bikes if they can bring it in at a good price.
I dont actually see it working on top end bikes that are either ridden in extreme conditions or super aggresively.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Who knows though, it could be a big part of cycling. Maybe town and commmuter style bikes if they can bring it in at a good price.
This is ridiculous. Chain drives already work perfectly fine for urban/commuter bikes. They are simple and cheap...how on earth would this ever compete in that space? Why would someone riding along at 100W on a townie need that theoretical 1W so badly?

Hell, the only way to get this system to shift is with electronics.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Tobin
It's more I cant see it really working at extremes so I was picking a form of cycling that it isnt either super dirty and brutal or with massive power.
Like I said, it would only be if it was at a good price.

I was just adding an option.

And by the way... Your face is ridiculous.

Edit; Just seen the pics of it all covered, it actually looks stunning!

ancker

by ancker

I don't think we'll all be riding this drivetrain anytime soon, but I applaud them for doing *any*thing new.

It takes wild ventures like this to discover something that drives industry forward. The whole solution likely isn't going to survive, but it might uncover some little efficiency that changes how drivetrains function down the road. I personally don't see what that possibly might be, but still good for them for doing something different.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

This^

Not all prototypes make it but not to try will certainly allow it never to be made. I remember my first lightweight bike was 23lbs [1978]. With all the prototypes that have come and gone, everyone can buy a 16lb bike off the showroom.

Miles253

by Miles253

Innovation is imperative to any industry. They should be applauded for getting the project(s) this far.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Miles253 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:19 pm
Innovation is imperative to any industry. They should be applauded for getting the project(s) this far.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

I still don’t see how a system that abruptly changes the direction of force twice can have any advantage in efficiency...and also requires reinforcement at vectors not needed before...and with all the force transferred through less surface area...

mattr

by mattr

Shaft drive has already been used for commuter and freight bikes.
Not for efficiency, but durability.

They are basically single shot, last the life of the bike things, pretty much just need a squirt of grease in each joint once a year.

But that's not glamorous or profitable enough for ceramicspeed.........

naylor343

by naylor343

HOW MUCH per watt??!!!! If it ever worked!
https://youtu.be/ryx5sDPkMUQ

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Fake it, till you make it. Didn't work for Theranos.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

In thinking about this matter, I consider Ceramicspeed the George Costanza of the industry, as in the Seinfeld episode (The Wizard) where he brags to Susan’s parents about owning a place in the Hamptons and then piles on phony details and drives them all the way to his nonexistent place when his bluff his called. “So, you bike cognoscenti were skeptical of Driven when we teased it earlier this year [e.g., I saw it at NABHS]? Well, now we’ve run it through the wind tunnel and fixed it to change gears electronically!” Kind of like Snoopy and Prickly Pete.

(I apologize for the USA- or certain generation- parochialism of the references, but they fit and I could not resist. :noidea: :D. Hope you liked it, I’ll be appearing later this week at the local Laugh Factory.)
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

If it can handle up to 200W let's see it being actually used by someone. I'm ok with seeing it on rollers and I'm even ok with them slowing down to change gear. I'll wait.

In five years we're going to be talking about this twice a year like "remember that ceramic speed drivetrain? lol".
Stendhal wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:18 pm
In thinking about this matter, I consider Ceramicspeed the George Costanza of the industry, as in the Seinfeld episode (The Wizard) where he brags to Susan’s parents about owning a place in the Hamptons and then piles on phony details and drives them all the way to his nonexistent place when his bluff his called. “So, you bike cognoscenti were skeptical of Driven when we teased it earlier this year [e.g., I saw it at NABHS]? Well, now we’ve run it through the wind tunnel and fixed it to change gears electronically!” Kind of like Snoopy and Prickly Pete.

(I apologize for the USA- or certain generation- parochialism of the references, but they fit and I could not resist. :noidea: :D. Hope you liked it, I’ll be appearing later this week at the local Laugh Factory.)
How dare you apologise for a Seinfeld reference? You suck.