Ceramicspeed Driven - shifting teaser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

otnemem wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:37 pm
If it can handle up to 200W let's see it being actually used by someone. I'm ok with seeing it on rollers and I'm even ok with them slowing down to change gear. I'll wait.

In five years we're going to be talking about this twice a year like "remember that ceramic speed drivetrain? lol".

While I am critical of the concept, I’m still following the progress. There is footage of it being used at a velodrome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

My only comment here is, with the amount of hours they put on research engineering and now marketing on this, I dont see them giving up on this concept. It will be interesting to see what CeramicSpeed does next.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

It’s a crock in current form
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

otnemem

by otnemem

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:10 pm
otnemem wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:37 pm
If it can handle up to 200W let's see it being actually used by someone. I'm ok with seeing it on rollers and I'm even ok with them slowing down to change gear. I'll wait.

In five years we're going to be talking about this twice a year like "remember that ceramic speed drivetrain? lol".

While I am critical of the concept, I’m still following the progress. There is footage of it being used at a velodrome.
While shifting? Can't find it, do you have a link?

mag

by mag

I think he meant this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcLioalnwQ
1st thing to notice is how vehemently they avoid showing the rear wheel area in any greater detail.
2nd - from the very little that can be seen I'd say it isn't the shiftable version.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

mag wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:58 pm
I think he meant this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcLioalnwQ
1st thing to notice is how vehemently they avoid showing the rear wheel area in any greater detail.
2nd - from the very little that can be seen I'd say it isn't the shiftable version.
Definitely a single speed. The version with gears looks like a dinner plate on the back. At 0:35 it either looks like a single speed or very few small gears.

I'm sure their explanation would be "hurr durr it's a track bike at a velodrome!"

AJS914

by AJS914

In that video the rider looks spun out and doesn't appear to be pushing that many watts.

otnemem

by otnemem

That's so obviously a babied single speed that it's hilarious. I'm not changing my prediction one iota. Good luck with that.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

I think if they go the standard motorcycle like driveshaft setup, and then use a rear hub that has internal gearing then they'll have something. But that may add weight that they don't want to add. The current interface seems too fragile in any race situation.

mattr

by mattr

CrankyCarbon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm
I think if they go the standard motorcycle like driveshaft setup, and then use a rear hub that has internal gearing then they'll have something.
Yes, they'll have something. Massive losses.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's just a project folks. You got to start somewhere. Most projects do not make it to the shelves but there is no reason not to try something new.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Butcher wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:16 pm
It's just a project folks. You got to start somewhere. Most projects do not make it to the shelves but there is no reason not to try something new.
No argument there. But then don't make outlandish claims that really mean nothing

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 am
Butcher wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:16 pm
No argument there. But then don't make outlandish claims that really mean nothing
Bingo
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Every parent that I know say's their baby is pretty. No reason to believe that an engineer would not believe the same. I have yet to meet one that said they are spending $$$$ on a project that is a POS.

Common, if we cannot read between the lines and believe in all the marketing, who's really to blame? I certainly like it when someone is pushing the envelope and going down a path that I believe is nuts. Even more appealing is when they do work out the issues and we find that it was a brillant idea. When Subaru came up with the CV transmission in the late 80's I thought it was a stupid idea. Sure enough, it's still around and getting better every day [although I still think it's a stupid idea].

Is the chain the end all? Maybe but hats off if someone believes there could be a better way.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm not a tool for Ceramic Speed. Right now I'm more of a poser. Not enough time in the saddle.
Last edited by Butcher on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm
When Subaru came up with the CV transmission in the late 80's I thought it was a stupid idea. Sure enough, it's still around and getting better every day [although I still think it's a stupid idea].
Subaru?
Whut?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com