Specialized Mirror 3D-printed saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milanv

by milanv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:47 pm
What's The shape of the Power Mirror closest to - the regular Power or the Power ARC? The Power Mirror looks like it falls between the two versions in terms of shape. Wondering if the cushion enables the Mirror to flatten out and take on the shape of the standard Power.
I am interested in this information also, like Power Arc, standard Power is not a deal for me...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Hi all, I have used the Power Arc on one of my bikes all of 2021. On my other bike I have the Power Mirror since last year. The Power Arc was not ideal for me (but not the worst, either), and with the advent of the new Romin Mirror, I replaced it for the latter to try it out. In any event, to your question, I find it very difficult to answer. Sitting on the Power Mirror is very different from sitting on the Power Arc. The Power Mirror is much more comfortable (for me). While I have not tried the Power, I would be surprised if the feeling was not the same there, i.e. sitting on the Power Mirror being very different. I think the polymer honeycomb structure makes the feeling/experience of sitting on the saddle different from the foam saddles, to some extent regardless of the actual shape of the saddles. I would actually say that sitting on the Romin Mirror (a completely differently shaped saddle) is more similar to sitting on the Power Mirror than what the case was for the Power Arc. So - for me - it is difficult to say that the Power Mirror is closer to one or the other of the foam Power saddles.

On a general note, I don't think everyone needs these expensive saddles. If you've been happy and fairly comfortable on a foam saddle until now, I don't think it is worth the investment. I just don't see why one would send USD 450 out the window if one is already quite good on one's existing saddle. The reason why I have jumped on this tech is that I for years have been searching for a saddle which does not give me discomfort or saddle sores, without ever finding any game changer. I love bike riding, but no matter the saddle it has always been a source of discomfort and it has reduced the joy of it. So for me, it was completely worth paying the price to try these out. The actual result? The Power Mirror (used for about 12 months) is not a heavenly stressless armchair where I could fall asleep sitting on it (as some might make you think) - but it is the best and most comfortable saddle I have tried to date. I am way more comfortable on it than all other saddles I have tried. The Romin Mirror? The jury is still out, i.e. I dare not have any strong opinion on it just yet (I'm still playing around with the positioning of the saddle), but based on 3-4 weeks of riding, it might be equally as good (for me).

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thanks Torbjorn.

milanv

by milanv

Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:39 am
Hi all, I have used the Power Arc on one of my bikes all of 2021. ...
On a general note, I don't think everyone needs these expensive saddles. If you've been happy and fairly comfortable on a foam saddle until now, I don't think it is worth the investment. I just don't see why one would send USD 450 out the window if one is already quite good on one's existing saddle. The reason why I have jumped on this tech is that I for years have been searching for a saddle which does not give me discomfort or saddle sores, without ever finding any game changer. I love bike riding, but no matter the saddle it has always been a source of discomfort and it has reduced the joy of it. So for me, it was completely worth paying the price to try these out. The actual result? The Power Mirror (used for about 12 months) is not a heavenly stressless armchair where I could fall asleep sitting on it (as some might make you think) - but it is the best and most comfortable saddle I have tried to date. I am way more comfortable on it than all other saddles I have tried. The Romin Mirror? The jury is still out, i.e. I dare not have any strong opinion on it just yet (I'm still playing around with the positioning of the saddle), but based on 3-4 weeks of riding, it might be equally as good (for me).
Thank you for your detail information.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

milanv wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 pm
DeLuz wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:32 pm
milanv wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:39 pm
DeLuz wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:06 pm
I have the same issue with Power saddles. Tried the Mimic version and really liked it but the edges digging in where too much.
Gave it my wife and she loves it.
Also tried the Fizik Adaptive but found the top way too rounded, putting a lot pressure in the center where the padding ends.
Otherwise the 3D padding was nice. I need really flat saddles.
That Romin Mirror looks interesting.
So Power Arc is the solution...
I am tempted to try Power Arc but it looks too rounded?
So try it and you will see...
I tried it... Too rounded, sent it back.
Thinking of trying the Ergon SM next.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

DeLuz wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:29 pm
milanv wrote:
DeLuz wrote:
milanv wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:39 pm
So Power Arc is the solution...
Have you tried the Pro Stealth? Quite flat it is.

milanv

by milanv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:43 pm
DeLuz wrote:
milanv wrote:
DeLuz wrote:

Yes, old Pro Stealth is flat, new Curved types are closer to e. g. Power Arc mentioned before.

CR987

by CR987

I have had severe sit bone pain for all of my 30,000km of riding so decided to buy one of these ridiculously priced saddles (I can't believe this seems to be the only option for some people).
Anyway, I tried the Power but the back of my legs were touching the wide wings (143mm). I bought the Romin and I have to say it really is supremely comfortable, not just on my sit bones but it feels like you float over bumps but at the same time it doesn't feel springy when pedalling hard. The only negatives are the price and I would have preferred it if the back of the saddle didn't rise up so much.
Even if you have no real saddle issues, I would imagine this would be incredible if you ride poorly surfaced road and a complete no-brainer for a gravel bike.

milanv

by milanv

CR987 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:44 pm
I have had severe sit bone pain for all of my 30,000km of riding so decided to buy one of these ridiculously priced saddles (I can't believe this seems to be the only option for some people).
Anyway, I tried the Power but the back of my legs were touching the wide wings (143mm). I bought the Romin and I have to say it really is supremely comfortable, not just on my sit bones but it feels like you float over bumps but at the same time it doesn't feel springy when pedalling hard. The only negatives are the price and I would have preferred it if the back of the saddle didn't rise up so much.
Even if you have no real saddle issues, I would imagine this would be incredible if you ride poorly surfaced road and a complete no-brainer for a gravel bike.
The same problem for me, Power Arc solved it.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

BdaGhisallo wrote:
DeLuz wrote:
milanv wrote:
DeLuz wrote:

Have not tried the Pro Stealth. I was under the impression that it is hard.
I did try the Ergon SM which is flat with pretty deep padding, but it did not work out.
So I guess padding is not going to help like i thought it might.
So maybe I should try the Stealth.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

DeLuz wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:48 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
DeLuz wrote:
milanv wrote:
Have not tried the Pro Stealth. I was under the impression that it is hard.
I did try the Ergon SM which is flat with pretty deep padding, but it did not work out.
So I guess padding is not going to help like i thought it might.
So maybe I should try the Stealth.
I don't find the padding all that hard. Try one of the cheaper Stealth models. I have one of the cheapest versions on my trainer bike and I can't feel a difference between it and the carbon version.

CR987

by CR987

milanv wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 pm
CR987 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:44 pm
The same problem for me, Power Arc solved it.
I tried the Power Arc and the Power Arc Elaston but I had the same issue. I have now ridden 250km this week and can say the Mirror Romin has solved all my saddle issues. Bare in mind I am already riding on sit bones that were really sore and tender after doing over 1200km in December. I have tried so many saddles and been to a number of bike fits and saddle fits so maybe the price isn't that crazy after all if you take the cost of all that into consideration.

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Anyone gone from a s-works Power to a Power mirror? Did you have to raise the seat height with the mirror to account for the extra cushioning?

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

I went from a Power Elaston to a Romin Mirror. Have used it exclusively on the indoor trainer and overall have had a fantastic experience. I left my saddle height identical, and matched the saddle placement such that the "wings" of the saddle were aligned rather than the nose (given that the Romin is much longer).

I find that it suits my body for a more aggressive position. I feel more comfortable flexing at the hips and getting lower. The cutout size provides the right amount of room and stability whereas the previous power saddle provided more upright comfort (I could not bend nearly as much without perennial pressure and discomfort on the Power).

I hate how expensive it is, but it is undeniably more comfortable and a better fit for me.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m3bas

by m3bas

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:32 pm
I went from a Power Elaston to a Romin Mirror. Have used it exclusively on the indoor trainer and overall have had a fantastic experience. I left my saddle height identical, and matched the saddle placement such that the "wings" of the saddle were aligned rather than the nose (given that the Romin is much longer).

I find that it suits my body for a more aggressive position. I feel more comfortable flexing at the hips and getting lower. The cutout size provides the right amount of room and stability whereas the previous power saddle provided more upright comfort (I could not bend nearly as much without perennial pressure and discomfort on the Power).

I hate how expensive it is, but it is undeniably more comfortable and a better fit for me.
Thats the opposite for me. Have used a stealth for a long time, bought a mirror Romin as I was intrigued. I found it super comfortable for cruising around, in any type of hard bunch ride or race where i was in the drops/aero hood position for extended periods I was getting numbness again. Have gone back to the stealth.
The Romin mirror would be the ultimate gravel/ XC saddle IMO. I was too scared to use it on those bikes though for fear of damaging it.