Specialized Mirror 3D-printed saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bespoke

by bespoke

I am getting one to test; looking forward to it
I know this is WW but honestly discounting a saddle of all things for 60g is mad

I remember very early on in my cycle clear seeing Boonen on his bike and he had like a 400gm Turbo flite; a genuinely massive thing
And then comparing it to the MAMILs desperate to order a SLR64 carbon thing to get their bike from 7.01 kg to 6.95kg

And then I realised; one of these guys does 35,000km a yr and the other does 3000 !

This saddle might be amazing or it might be rubbish
But whichever outcome it has will not be becuase its 190gms...
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justonwo

by justonwo

bespoke wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:24 am
I know this is WW but honestly discounting a saddle of all things for 60g is mad

I remember very early on in my cycle clear seeing Boonen on his bike and he had like a 400gm Turbo flite; a genuinely massive thing
And then comparing it to the MAMILs desperate to order a SLR64 carbon thing to get their bike from 7.01 kg to 6.95kg

And then I realised; one of these guys does 35,000km a yr and the other does 3000 !

There's a lot of choice in the marketplace. One can be picky. I don't think a classics man like Boonen would sweat weight too much.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

ichobi

by ichobi

Would you say the Mirror is a halo product? I mean it's there not for massive sales or profit, just a display of technology? Weight is not competitive. The shape is pretty much the same as the power - which if it fits you - are already pretty dcamn comfortable.

guyc

by guyc

Yes, and the price will probably come down fairly quickly.

£350 for a saddle when there are any number of excellent saddles on the market already is a big ask for most people. I've long said that saddle weight is of no consequence vs comfort anyway. Makes me LOL when people call a 150g saddle 'heavy'.

SamD

by SamD

Well yes, it's the very first generation and obviously meant for early adopters... They might be able to cut the weight in second generation, bring it to the masses in a version with less carbon, ... I assume however they would have to be able to ramp up production when they want to bring it to the masses.

The promo video from Carbon is pretty interesting to watch imo:

(of course, it's very marketing-oriented, I know)

Also notice the rare Venge color at 2:39, nice green S-Works frame :D

David Arthur (wrote a lot for road.cc) also just posted a review on this saddle on his own YouTube channel.

bespoke

by bespoke

justonwo wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 am
bespoke wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:24 am

There's a lot of choice in the marketplace. One can be picky. I don't think a classics man like Boonen would sweat weight too much.
Agreed you can be picky; but there is a difference between being picky and immediately discounting something without trying it, reading reviews etc
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

guyc

by guyc

My gut feeling is these are going to be superb. But they need to hit £200 for more mass market penetration. Give it a year and they well might. Interested to hear your reviews.

I've finally found a saddle that works for me but new tech is always interesting to follow.

Prawn

by Prawn

So far, so good with the Mirror. My favourite saddle for the last couple of years has been the Tune KOM VOR - a genuine weight weenie saddle if ever there was one! The Tune saddle is surprisingly comfortable, probably owing to its flexibility and rolled-off edges; its narrow width also suited me. However, I always knew that after 60km I would have to move around a lot in order to avoid pain. The Mirror is not weight weenie, but it definitely works! I can maintain a good position without having to think about it. Perhaps that's the point: I don't really notice it.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Prawn wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm
So far, so good with the Mirror. My favourite saddle for the last couple of years has been the Tune KOM VOR - a genuine weight weenie saddle if ever there was one! The Tune saddle is surprisingly comfortable, probably owing to its flexibility and rolled-off edges; its narrow width also suited me. However, I always knew that after 60km I would have to move around a lot in order to avoid pain. The Mirror is not weight weenie, but it definitely works! I can maintain a good position without having to think about it. Perhaps that's the point: I don't really notice it.
Nice.

How much time have you put on the saddle, plus longest ride etc?

I am tempted to pair one with my new build S-works SL6 Disc, but might just stick with the trusty Romin Evo.

Seems to be more mirrors than Romins available in the Uk right now though!!

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Price seems coo-coo but they're sold-out on the Specialized web site, so I guess they didn't charge enough!

I've been a sucker for trying to find the ultimate saddle for quite some time. Anyone remember the Saddleco Flow? Had one... hated it. I sure hope the Specialized saddle works and gets more affordable. I guess time will tell.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 pm
Prawn wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm
Nice.

How much time have you put on the saddle, plus longest ride etc?

I am tempted to pair one with my new build S-works SL6 Disc, but might just stick with the trusty Romin Evo.

Seems to be more mirrors than Romins available in the Uk right now though!!
If you can't find a Romin, I'd be happy to sell you mine for not much. Have hardly used it, it's not compatible with my rear end! However, I'm in Switzerland, so would have to ship it. At least you know!

EDIT: I have a Toupe, but had a massive case of brain fart, and somewhow thought it was Romin Evo. Apologies.
Last edited by Torbjorn on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Torbjorn wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:14 pm
If you can't find a Romin, I'd be happy to sell you mine for not much. Have hardly used it, it's not compatible with my rear end! However, I'm in Switzerland, so would have to ship it. At least you know!
Is it an S-works evo 155? If so I'm in the market for one. :)
Ride fast Take chances

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

S-Works, yes, but 143, I'm afraid.

deepalk

by deepalk

I have a s-works mirror saddle 143mm that is have done over 1500kms on. Previous saddle was the s-works power saddle in 143mm.
Paid $700 AUD for it here in Australia.
I always found that on the normal s-works power saddle after around 80kms I would start to have to move around quite a bit and never felt comfortable. With the recent events around the world I moved indoors with my riding and after around 50mins of indoor riding (predominantly in the saddle again I found myself moving around a lot on the saddle to try and get comfortable and when you have a 2-2.5 hour session indoors seated for 99.5% of the time its mentally draining, I have always worn top quality bib shorts from brands like Le-col, ASSOS, and Castelli so I knew they were not the issue.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the mirror saddle. I have never been happier. The first ride the saddle dissapeared under me and never felt the slightest discomfort on a massive 2.5 hour indoor session. I feel I sit more anchored in the saddle and it lets me really concentrate on putting the power through the saddle, rather than floating on top of the saddle. No more moving around. The other advantage is due to the many densities in different parts of the saddle. So when getting low in an aero position the front of the saddle is softer and therefore i found there was no discomfort in the slightest around the sensetive areas allowing me to stay lower for much longer. By far the most comfortable saddle I have tried.

Would I buy again? In a heart beat, my reasoning is if im spending 7-9 hours a week on a bike $700 AUD invested in comfort is a small price to pay. Its not the lightest saddle but 60grms isnt a high price to pay when discomfort is certainl one less thing you have to worry about on your rides.
Attachments
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

deepalk wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm
I have a s-works mirror saddle 143mm that is have done over 1500kms on. Previous saddle was the s-works power saddle in 143mm.
Paid $700 AUD for it here in Australia.
I always found that on the normal s-works power saddle after around 80kms I would start to have to move around quite a bit and never felt comfortable. With the recent events around the world I moved indoors with my riding and after around 50mins of indoor riding (predominantly in the saddle again I found myself moving around a lot on the saddle to try and get comfortable and when you have a 2-2.5 hour session indoors seated for 99.5% of the time its mentally draining, I have always worn top quality bib shorts from brands like Le-col, ASSOS, and Castelli so I knew they were not the issue.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the mirror saddle. I have never been happier. The first ride the saddle dissapeared under me and never felt the slightest discomfort on a massive 2.5 hour indoor session. I feel I sit more anchored in the saddle and it lets me really concentrate on putting the power through the saddle, rather than floating on top of the saddle. No more moving around. The other advantage is due to the many densities in different parts of the saddle. So when getting low in an aero position the front of the saddle is softer and therefore i found there was no discomfort in the slightest around the sensetive areas allowing me to stay lower for much longer. By far the most comfortable saddle I have tried.

Would I buy again? In a heart beat, my reasoning is if im spending 7-9 hours a week on a bike $700 AUD invested in comfort is a small price to pay. Its not the lightest saddle but 60grms isnt a high price to pay when discomfort is certainl one less thing you have to worry about on your rides.
Good post.

I always laugh when people baulk at expensive saddle. For me, saddle and then shoes are far and away the most important bits of my bike. You can have top spec everything, but if riding is miserable because your butt hurts, then what is the point?

Would happily pay a high price for a saddle that just works and I never have to worry about again.

Plus add up the amount I have spent 'trying' to find the perfect saddle and I reckon I could got 10 or so mirrors anyway!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com