Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

I think in my case the Procen Air would fit fine, since I already own a Scott Foil with TT bars + a one piece Castelli Speed Suit and Spatz aero overshoes. :D

steve028

by steve028

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
I got a Ballista a few months ago. I like it a lot.

I'm not sure what else people are going to tell you about going from a standard helmet to an aero helmet. Supposedly they save 8-10 watts at race speeds. Personally I can feel that the helmet slices through the air better. It's noticeable when you turn your head. Aero helmets are a little bit quieter.
THinking of getting a balista, im coming from an old superlight heavily vented giro and was wondering how much more weight i should expect and will it be noticeable on a longer ride? no point getting an aero helmet if it weight a tonne and my neck/shoulder will be killing me ha

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wooger

by wooger

TheBelgian wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm
It's an aero helmet. We all look like idiots to the outside world anyway, in our tight fitting pants. Compensate the mushroom with oversized sunglasses.
Mushroom head is not just aesthetics, it's a fit & performance thing too imo. If a helmet makes the effective cross section of your head 50% bigger because it sits so poorly on your head it's not going to work for you aero wise either.

The Specialized helmets imo are just not designed correctly for increasing head size - they get bigger in diameter, but aren't any deeper vertically, so they sit on top of my head rather than wrapping around it. It's like making different sizes jerseys by just adjusting the chest width but not making them longer.

We have no idea what sizes and what head shapes these helmets were tested with on the aero test, but I guarantee the table would be wholly different if they used size large.

I'd be surprised if it didn't affect safety too tbh. And again, there no information on testing with different helmet and head sizes in the Virginia tech safety tests.

Lina

by Lina

wooger wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:12 am
It's like making different sizes jerseys by just adjusting the chest width but not making them longer.
Considering that outside of very few race jerseys all cycling jerseys are way too long and have awful cuts maybe they should do just that.

AJS914

by AJS914

steve028 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:33 pm
THinking of getting a balista, im coming from an old superlight heavily vented giro and was wondering how much more weight i should expect and will it be noticeable on a longer ride? no point getting an aero helmet if it weight a tonne and my neck/shoulder will be killing me ha
I haven't noticed any extra weight with my Ballista.

I now prefer helmets with no holes and under the helmet airflow.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

scapewalker wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:01 am
Cycling news released a aero helmet wind tunnel test including the new Poc Procen Air.

Credits to reddit user Lopsided_Prior3801 for posting the data.

Helmet | CdA average | Power at 40km/h | Speed at 250w (km/h) | 40km TT at 250w

7. Trek Ballista 0.3542 291.52 38.00 01:03:09

8. Trek Velocis 0.3549 292.10 37.98 01:03:12

hmm, i wonder, if that can be correct?? I ,mean, the Velocis looks like a standard-helmet and is furthermore not marketed as aero-helmet, has air slots everywhere, but is as good as equal to the Ballista in terms of aerodynamics?

Any "field-tests" available with the Velocis?

Thank you, regards,

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

I'm really impressed with the build quality and details on the Ballista.
It just feels so much higher quality than all the other usual suspects.
Also really like the flip down skull cradle to make packing the helmet more compact.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:29 am
scapewalker wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:01 am
Cycling news released a aero helmet wind tunnel test including the new Poc Procen Air.

Credits to reddit user Lopsided_Prior3801 for posting the data.

Helmet | CdA average | Power at 40km/h | Speed at 250w (km/h) | 40km TT at 250w

7. Trek Ballista 0.3542 291.52 38.00 01:03:09

8. Trek Velocis 0.3549 292.10 37.98 01:03:12

hmm, i wonder, if that can be correct?? I ,mean, the Velocis looks like a standard-helmet and is furthermore not marketed as aero-helmet, has air slots everywhere, but is as good as equal to the Ballista in terms of aerodynamics?

Any "field-tests" available with the Velocis?

Thank you, regards,
I doubt anyone will be able to make any meaningful tests to single out the helmet specifically. I couldn't get on with the look of the Ballista it just reminds me of an actual bell-end. The Velocis does have a pretty small profile and tons of airflow, I can really feel it on my head. TREK videos said they focused on aero by ortimizing airflow through the helmet vs around it. Keep in mind that aero performance of a helmet will ultimately come down to not just the helmet but your riding position and how that airflow interacts with the rest of your body.

I rode the prior Velocis for years and actually kept it for cooler days riding because the new one lets in so much airflow that I actually get cold with it on chilly days.

https://youtu.be/lFdCoXuMWVY?si=ebfE26KOGVx2xtPN
IMG_6632.jpeg
As a bonus I actually ordered mine from the UK where the safety certifications are different from the US, and the size small is only 220g
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Thank you very much, useful insights!

i am between Giro Eclipse and Trek Velocis at the moment, probably will go for the Giro, due to pricing and fit.
Regards,

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lina wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:36 pm
wooger wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:12 am
It's like making different sizes jerseys by just adjusting the chest width but not making them longer.
Considering that outside of very few race jerseys all cycling jerseys are way too long and have awful cuts maybe they should do just that.
As a tall thin person I have a very different experience about jersey length. They’re all too short. I usually size up when I buy the race suits because I’m too tall for my normal bib size.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Opposite experience here as well. I’m 177cm and 63kg and most jerseys / bibshort straps aren’t long enough. If I size up an aero jersey to the correct length, the trunk and sleeves become loose/billowy.

For that reason I can’t wear PNS or Rapha, and I’ve taken to just wearing “roadsuits” most of the time as not to show my belly button off all the time.

Gx3

by Gx3

If you haven't looked into them, the Kalas skinsuits are nice and as an added bonus, they come in extended sizes if you're particularly tall for your build.

Lina

by Lina

At 183 cm, 70 kg and I like my S-size Bioracer jerseys because they aren't too long. But as I've said before, I have long legs and a short torso for my height.

But to get back to the topic. I received my Procen Air. The fit seems pretty good from what I've tried it on, haven't gotten to try it out on the road yet because it's been raining all week. And after having rebuilt my entire bike after a particularly wet and sandy race weekend I'm not feeling like doing it all again before next races, especially when the bearings on my pedals are already on life support with new ones not here.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lina wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:55 pm
At 183 cm, 70 kg and I like my S-size Bioracer jerseys because they aren't too long. But as I've said before, I have long legs and a short torso for my height.

But to get back to the topic. I received my Procen Air. The fit seems pretty good from what I've tried it on, haven't gotten to try it out on the road yet because it's been raining all week. And after having rebuilt my entire bike after a particularly wet and sandy race weekend I'm not feeling like doing it all again before next races, especially when the bearings on my pedals are already on life support with new ones not here.
I’ll be curious to hear how you like the Procen. Went from absolutely hating it to kind of wanting one as a race day only helmet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gruppetto

by gruppetto

Three (fast) rides with the Procen Air so far: First two things I noticed: Great unobstructed field of view (the visors glasses are pretty good) and damn that thing is quiet. Even at speeds above 50kph the only thing you here are you wheels buzzing. In contrast to for example Evades, which feel pretty good on the ventilation side when riding in a kind of upright position, but not so great with your head down, the Procen Air feels ventilated on all kind of positions on the bike.
Unfortunately we had no really hot days, so can not say anything about the ventilation on very hot days.
Another plus is, in situations where my glasses are normally getting pretty sweaty the helmets visiors stays super clean.

I can not say anything about the helmet beeing faster or slower than an Evade and leave that to the guys and girls with access to a wind tunnel.

I am still not sold on the look and am not sure if the Procen Air has the potetial to be my everyday helmet, but I like it and will definetly keep it.
Last edited by gruppetto on Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.