Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Anything happening soon in this space?

My Evade might have been nicked and whilst I could consider getting another one, I was weighing other options too.

Matte86

by Matte86

Specialized Evade II was released together with SW7 shoes 4 years ago.. shoes have just been revamped and in the SW Torch thread they mentioned a new Evade was coming.. Specialized did a big sale on the helmets some days ago.. so everything points in that direction.. dunno when though..
Hopefully soon as I need to replace mine as well
From one side it could happen at TdF, but on the other we haven’t seen any pics on pros yet..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wind noise perceived on Giro Eclipse is clearly louder than on my Kask Utopia,
if wind noise can be an indicator of any property.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Do you have a close shaven head or a very short hairstyle by chance? I haven’t noticed much wind noise with my Eclipse. I think it’s a fantastic helmet overall.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I have both the Bontrager Ballista MIPS in medium (278g) and the Met Manta MIPS in small (238g). They both feel aero but who knows. I've found them both decent even in hot weather (90+ degrees F).

I guess the Met is probably faster for me as it's a size small, so smaller frontal area. As someone else mentioned, the Balissta has no vent mesh, and twice I've had a bee fly into the inside of my helmet (and I'm allergice to stings).

Finally on the Ballista the headsize adjustment straps broke and Bontrager sent me a replacement at no charge. But there must have been some model change because I had to take out the MIPS liner to make it work. Even got Bontrager to send me a different size replacement... no dice.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 am
Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Do you have a close shaven head or a very short hairstyle by chance? I haven’t noticed much wind noise with my Eclipse. I think it’s a fantastic helmet overall.
Very short side (2-3 mm), medium top (20-30 mm). Undercut style.
I guess it may also have something to do with the strap which is thinner than Kask. So Kask's strap block more wind that'll hit my ears. I'll try some wind blocker on the strap to verify.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:03 am

Very short side (2-3 mm), medium top (20-30 mm). Undercut style.
I guess it may also have something to do with the strap which is thinner than Kask. So Kask's strap block more wind that'll hit my ears. I'll try some wind blocker on the strap to verify.

Oh that's another thing. I can only get Giro/Bell straps to lie flat against my face if it's pretty tight under the chin. Other helmet straps like on the Evade II lie flat against my cheeks in all circumstances.

RadB

by RadB

I've only had a few helmets but the ballista felt the fastest and quietest over evade, velocis and gun wind. I figured they discontinued possibly due to something to do with wavecell.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Wonder if the Evade would be lighter if they would make it with the new Mips technology which I have on my new Ventral Air Mips. Inside it looks completely normal without any sign of Mips. I guess Specialized Mips which is incorporated on the straps is lighter than regular but sure what the difference would be there.

Someone asked about how well ventilated the Nytron is. Here in Sweden tha max temperature has not exceeded 21C yet so still hard to judge. It seems good though.

Imo the RP Nytron is as quiet as my Evade 2.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RlTcac7QUg - where Evade came out on top, but Met Trenta came out very, very close. For an airy and light helmet like Trenta, that is a damn good result. Seems like a good choice for climbing.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RlTcac7QUg - where Evade came out on top, but Met Trenta came out very, very close. For an airy and light helmet like Trenta, that is a damn good result. Seems like a good choice for climbing.
That seems odd, given how ventilated it is. If that's the case then the Manta should be faster than the Evade you would think.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Weights by the way, all in M.

Evade 2: 261g
RP Nytron 260g
Poc Ventral Air Mips: 256g
Poc Ventral Lite: 199g

The Nytron is heavy, given it doesn't have any extra protection system. It does have the WG11 cerification though, whatever that means.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:41 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm
That seems odd, given how ventilated it is. If that's the case then the Manta should be faster than the Evade you would think.
And maybe it is faster than the Evade. Have not seen any tests on it unfortunately. FWIW, I have it and like it very much. I certainly cannot tell any difference vs the Evade II in terms of performance with extensive usage of both. The Manta is lighter, but ventilation is not quite as good as the Evade II.

People focus a lot on how the front of the helmet looks and whether it has/does not have vents. But I think the design of the back end of the helmet, and how the air is extracted/driven through from the front through the available vents, is a lot more critical to aero performance. Met and Specialized both seem to have done their homework on that point.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Matte86 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:32 pm
Specialized Evade II was released together with SW7 shoes 4 years ago.. shoes have just been revamped and in the SW Torch thread they mentioned a new Evade was coming.. Specialized did a big sale on the helmets some days ago.. so everything points in that direction.. dunno when though..
Hopefully soon as I need to replace mine as well
From one side it could happen at TdF, but on the other we haven’t seen any pics on pros yet..
I've heard rumours saying it'd be around WC.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I just got the vento from Lazer... so no spesh evade this time around.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com