Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'd wear a procen air without a second thought.. I'd wear it before an evade III.. and that's coming from an evade I and II owner.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rhs2z

by rhs2z

Ugh, this is a tough call for me.
I want to go with procen air- I like to get in the break and I like to take flyers.

But I also ride in the heat a bunch, and I don’t think 1w is worth any overheating. Plus it is 75g heavier, I like a light helmet.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah.. rumored 390g does have to give me some pause.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Aryeh

by Aryeh

It's been a year since I got my Trek Ballista.
I've put over 8000mi on it in all sorts of weather.
Before I got it, I would use my Giro Aether for hot days and the Giro Vanquish in the winter, but I haven't felt the need to wear a more ventilated helmet with the Ballista, it never felt too hot. I'm very happy with it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Eclipse is the easiest choice for me. It's a perfect fit to my head shape, fast, doesn't look horrible and I've raced on it in the hills even in 40C temps. I'm not much of a sweater though.

wooger

by wooger

I just bought and returned the Van Rysel FCR same day. Helmet build and strap is fine, but the fit is crazy small for an L, way smaller than the indicated size range of 59-62cm, can't even get it on my shaved head with a thin skullcap (for winter), and I need the adjuster at max to even get it on. Almost feels like it's a mislabelled size M. That plus mushroom head on me.

Also annoying that the MIPS pro-team version, only £10 more in the UK is out of stock, and when I asked them, is discontinued too.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:05 am
Eclipse is the easiest choice for me. It's a perfect fit to my head shape, fast, doesn't look horrible and I've raced on it in the hills even in 40C temps. I'm not much of a sweater though.
I like almost everything about the Eclipse (without having tried it on), but I want a white helmet and the "white" colourways available in the UK both have the rear half in a pale grey / pale pastel blue that ruins the look for me. The speckled grey looks great, but I already have two grey helmets including a Kask Utopia (old version) so I'll live with it.

wooger

by wooger

Since my last post I've ordered both the Trek Velocis & Ballista, and one to a Specialized store to try on the Prevail & Evade.

In size L, the prevail and evade both fit fine, but have maybe the worst mushroom head look on me that I've ever experienced. prevail is by far the worst, Evade is just bad. But no appeal.

The Trek helmets are both really nice; light, fit perfectly, look to sit much closer to the head than the other helmets I've tried recently, so no mushroom head effect.

Can't fault them at present, I'm tempted to keep both.

pushpush

by pushpush

I have a Velocis with almost 3 seasons on it. I can't say how it compares in terms of aero efficiency. I'm sure the little velcro attached visor destroys the aero efficiency but the way it wicks sweat away from my face is totally worth it. I tried to buy a replacement visor from a Trek store last summer. They refused to let me buy it and insisted on giving it to me for free. Thanks Trek.

I climb a good amount. I love riding in the heat. I sweat a lot.

I tried other helmets and stuck the Velocis because the fit/comfort/ventilation is so good. I wanted to try an Eclipse but couldn't find one in my size/color.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

pushpush wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:05 pm
I have a Velocis with almost 3 seasons on it. I can't say how it compares in terms of aero efficiency. I'm sure the little velcro attached visor destroys the aero efficiency but the way it wicks sweat away from my face is totally worth it. I tried to buy a replacement visor from a Trek store last summer. They refused to let me buy it and insisted on giving it to me for free. Thanks Trek.

I climb a good amount. I love riding in the heat. I sweat a lot.

I tried other helmets and stuck the Velocis because the fit/comfort/ventilation is so good. I wanted to try an Eclipse but couldn't find one in my size/color.
I really loved my Velocis, changed after an accident as got offered a POC Octal and Abus Gamechanger 1. To be honest both aren't too mushroom like in a size Small but probably not as slim line as the Velocis

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

wooger wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:39 pm
In size L, the prevail and evade both fit fine, but have maybe the worst mushroom head look on me that I've ever experienced. prevail is by far the worst, Evade is just bad. But no appeal.
It's an aero helmet. We all look like idiots to the outside world anyway, in our tight fitting pants. Compensate the mushroom with oversized sunglasses.
I have a big head, but my face is oval. All helmets give me the mushroom look. I gave up on caring about it :D

Lina

by Lina

TheBelgian wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm
wooger wrote:
It's an aero helmet. We all look like idiots to the outside world anyway, in our tight fitting pants. Compensate the mushroom with oversized sunglasses.
I have a big head, but my face is oval. All helmets give me the mushroom look. I gave up on caring about it :D
I've stopped caring what other people think of what I'm wearing in general long ago. Makes life a lot easier when you can just wear what you want instead of worrying what will people think of me if I wear this thing.

nyccyclist

by nyccyclist

Poured over all of the comments in here and it is coming down to a coin toss between the S-Works Evade 3 and the Giro Eclipse Spherical... heads or tails?! :D

Lina

by Lina

nyccyclist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:46 am
Poured over all of the comments in here and it is coming down to a coin toss between the S-Works Evade 3 and the Giro Eclipse Spherical... heads or tails?! :D
Go to a shop and try both of them on. Giro and Specialized helmets are not the same shape. Get the one that fits you better.

jfc guys. You can't just decide what helmets and shoes you want based on what looks the best for you/tests the fastest. These things have to actually fit your body and there's nothing other than trying them on to figure it out.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lina wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 pm
TheBelgian wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm
wooger wrote:
I've stopped caring what other people think of what I'm wearing in general long ago. Makes life a lot easier when you can just wear what you want instead of worrying what will people think of me if I wear this thing.
The helmets attracting most "looks" are probably the integrated. If or when i use my casco speedairo people look.
You look like an atronaut with this helmet. I will pick up POC ventral air mips today. Perhaps i turn into a mushroom instead :shock: :noidea: :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Got a good deal and pulled the trigger on a Procen Air. Can't wait to get weird looks and overheat on group rides :D