Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

55kph onwards ... average cruising speed for us amateurs :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 am
Nice result for the Procen w/visor.
1W to look like a 🍆? No thanks. I'll take my 1W penalty and use an Evade.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheBelgian wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 pm

Cat 4s sprint at >60km/h, so the Procen will shine when the win is on the line. Also saving 5W over something like an Eclipse at 46km/h (the minimum speed you’d need to win from a breakaway in a cat 1 crit here) is nothing to scoff at. Also track cycling exists and I imagine both the Procen and the new Kask will feature heavily in Paris mass start races.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:27 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

We already look like knobs in our skintight lycra kit.

Plus the visor covers the ears and will cut down on wind noise.

GaBa

by GaBa

Lina wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm
GaBa wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 am
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:40 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Nice result for the Procen w/visor. The Evade continues to be generally fast generation after generation while the Eclipse, Cadence, RCR and Trek helmets put in a good showing too. The only irony here is that the Velocis worked just about as well as the Ballista with this protocol. Basically pick whatever helmet fits best.

Looks like they also tested the new unreleased Kask, but can’t report their findings.
Yeah, it's a weird looking lid but at least it works.

Apart from that, it's a very clustered set of results - the Evade indeed is the one that really stands out given that it's a fairly normal looking and well ventilated helmet.

The other thing that must be stated is that helmet testing will be extremely position and rider dependent. Head above shoulders and looking straight ahead vs head tucked in and looking 45 degree, helmet size vs shoulder width, etc.
Do you think Evade is much better ventilated than Procen Air? It is true that while looking a bit out of place taking Procen Air into the mountains that is not the case with Evade (in my opinion at least). But if they are equally well ventilated, then one might as well go with Procen Air? To me it does not look as an all-rounder though. But I like its looks quite a lot.
All of the visored helmets I've riddern have been ovens in mountains. If you have the visor on you get no airflow on the upper part of your face. The Procen stores the visor behind the helmet if you want to take it off for climbs which is better than what Giro for example has done with their visors where the visor not in use blocks all airflow into the helmet. So it might be that they've taken cooling in the mountains also into account. Also another problem with visor helmets is sweat on the visor. Not that big of an issue but every single drop of sweat will drop onto the visor.

All that said I'm still intrigued by the Procen Air. Not that my Evade II is bad in some way. But if the claims of being quieter are true then I'd use it just for that reason alone. My main complaint with helmets is the noise. If I can get a quieter helmet that's also more aero I'll wear it on a road bike with no shame.
I am also drawn to it due to claims of being quieter. But with my speeds (not racing) and the fact I tend to sweat quite a lot it probably does not make much sense. In some other topic I read about earpeace earplugs and might as well try those. And go with Evade for better heat management (if noticeable - to me Evade seems quite closed as well) if I decide to get new helmet.

One positive aspect of having closed helmet is preventing insects to get into your helmet. I use POC Ventral Air at the moment and this occurs to me quite often. Having allergy on bees I'd rather avoid it if possible. As with all things in life there are compromises that have to be accepted I guess.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:32 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:27 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

We already look like knobs in our skintight lycra kit.

Plus the visor covers the ears and will cut down on wind noise.
True.

The noise thing would be nice. But I already overheat. I wonder if the new Utopia would give a noise benefit with the ear covers. Slightly less goofy looking.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

GaBa wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm
Lina wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm
GaBa wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 am
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:40 am

Yeah, it's a weird looking lid but at least it works.

Apart from that, it's a very clustered set of results - the Evade indeed is the one that really stands out given that it's a fairly normal looking and well ventilated helmet.

The other thing that must be stated is that helmet testing will be extremely position and rider dependent. Head above shoulders and looking straight ahead vs head tucked in and looking 45 degree, helmet size vs shoulder width, etc.
Do you think Evade is much better ventilated than Procen Air? It is true that while looking a bit out of place taking Procen Air into the mountains that is not the case with Evade (in my opinion at least). But if they are equally well ventilated, then one might as well go with Procen Air? To me it does not look as an all-rounder though. But I like its looks quite a lot.
All of the visored helmets I've riddern have been ovens in mountains. If you have the visor on you get no airflow on the upper part of your face. The Procen stores the visor behind the helmet if you want to take it off for climbs which is better than what Giro for example has done with their visors where the visor not in use blocks all airflow into the helmet. So it might be that they've taken cooling in the mountains also into account. Also another problem with visor helmets is sweat on the visor. Not that big of an issue but every single drop of sweat will drop onto the visor.

All that said I'm still intrigued by the Procen Air. Not that my Evade II is bad in some way. But if the claims of being quieter are true then I'd use it just for that reason alone. My main complaint with helmets is the noise. If I can get a quieter helmet that's also more aero I'll wear it on a road bike with no shame.
I am also drawn to it due to claims of being quieter. But with my speeds (not racing) and the fact I tend to sweat quite a lot it probably does not make much sense. In some other topic I read about earpeace earplugs and might as well try those. And go with Evade for better heat management (if noticeable - to me Evade seems quite closed as well) if I decide to get new helmet.

One positive aspect of having closed helmet is preventing insects to get into your helmet. I use POC Ventral Air at the moment and this occurs to me quite often. Having allergy on bees I'd rather avoid it if possible. As with all things in life there are compromises that have to be accepted I guess.
With this helmet, you don't get bees and bugs slipping through the vents.
https://casco-helme.de/en/fahrrad.php#sport_road
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

GaBa

by GaBa

Can't say I like the looks of this Casco to be honest. :oops:

EF education riders don't seem to be using Procen Air but rather Ventral. At least what I observed watching highlights from today's giro stage. With 2200m over 193km and 47km/h average speed there sure was a use case for faster helmet. Until there's something else going against Procen.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

GaBa wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 pm
Can't say I like the looks of this Casco to be honest. :oops:

EF education riders don't seem to be using Procen Air but rather Ventral. At least what I observed watching highlights from today's giro stage. With 2200m over 193km and 47km/h average speed there sure was a use case for faster helmet. Until there's something else going against Procen.
most of the EF WW Team have been using the Procen
It will be interesting to see if they keep using it as the weather really heats up.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:28 pm
TheBelgian wrote:

Cat 4s sprint at >60km/h, so the Procen will shine when the win is on the line. Also saving 5W over something like an Eclipse at 46km/h (the minimum speed you’d need to win from a breakaway in a cat 1 crit here) is nothing to scoff at. Also track cycling exists and I imagine both the Procen and the new Kask will feature heavily in Paris mass start races.

Yeah because in a sprint your head is in the perfect position to have the aero benefits of the helmet :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheBelgian wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:02 pm

Yeah because in a sprint your head is in the perfect position to have the aero benefits of the helmet :lol:

Tell me you’ve never raced (or watched a race closely) without telling me.
Attachments
IMG_6467.jpeg

Lina

by Lina

TheBelgian wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:02 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:28 pm
TheBelgian wrote:

???

cajer

by cajer

It's really nice to have data, but they really should have done testing with a dummy. As with a 1.19% drift due to rider position between runs, we can't make any conclusions between the top 8 helmets... And that's if it's 1.19% between best and worst. If it's an average of 1.19% between any two runs, then we can't make any conclusions at all.
Last edited by cajer on Thu May 16, 2024 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

cajer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:33 pm
It's really nice to have data, but they really should have done testing with a dummy. As with a 1.19% drift due to rider position between runs, we can't make any conclusions between the top 8 helmets...
Yea as much as I'd like to believe my Velocis is almost identical in aero drag to the Ballista, take one look at them and that seems far fetched
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:33 pm
It's really nice to have data, but they really should have done testing with a dummy. As with a 1.19% drift between runs, we can't make any conclusions between the top 8 helmets...

That’s when you use other criteria like fit and ventilation to drive your final decision. Even minor things like sunglasses storage or whether the fit system can accommodate, say, a ponytail or low bun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com