Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calicyclist

by calicyclist

I've been debating between getting the S-works Prevail2 or Evade3 or the new Giro Aries. I realize that two of these helmets aren't considered "Aero" helmets but am just wondering if anyone has experience with one or more of these and can probide any thoughts and didn't want to start a whole new thread. I think the Evade3 looks the nicest but am a little concerned about heat buildup. I've been seeing multiple reviewers on Specialized site give anecdotes of it working well for them in 90+ degree heat so I am guessing it's all right but would like any community feedback here before committing to anything. The Giro Aries has some glowing reviews on cycling sites saying it's by far the best road helmet out right now. Not a huge fan of their blue but could probably live with it. Is it really that much more advanced though?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Some good deals out there on Evade 2s. I picked one up for a good price and am very happy with it. Most comfortable helmet I've worn and well ventilated enough to deal with some serious hammering of the hills around Nice and Monaco last week.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm really happy with the Lazer Vento... so much so, I got a second in a different colorway.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

calicyclist

by calicyclist

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:53 pm
I'm really happy with the Lazer Vento... so much so, I got a second in a different colorway.
Doesn't look bad but It's annoying to me that the blue version has the big Wout Van Aert Redbull advertisement on it. Is that just a sticker I can take off?

More importantly, the blue appears out of stock until late June. I am hoping to start riding again after my last crash early next month.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

BenCousins wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Some good deals out there on Evade 2s. I picked one up for a good price and am very happy with it. Most comfortable helmet I've worn and well ventilated enough to deal with some serious hammering of the hills around Nice and Monaco last week.
Good fedback thanks. Was it also warm when you were hammering the hills?

BenCousins

by BenCousins

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:32 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Good fedback thanks. Was it also warm when you were hammering the hills?
I get hot easily on a bike so a 20m power test up the Madone even at 20 degrees c will be 'dripping sweat' hot for me. The helmet didn't feel any more warm that my tried and tested Limar Ultralight. I was assuming I'd have a 'light' helmet for summer climbs just like I have light wheels for alpine stuff, but I think I'll just use this helmet all the time.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:53 pm
Doesn't look bad but It's annoying to me that the blue version has the big Wout Van Aert Redbull advertisement on it. Is that just a sticker I can take off?

More importantly, the blue appears out of stock until late June. I am hoping to start riding again after my last crash early next month.
How did you know I had that one... :beerchug: I managed to snag one when they came out along with the spring sale.

anyways it feels raised, but I'm not about to scratch it and find out. The Redbull on it ... is so tiny

My only gripe is since the Evade2, I've been spoiled by magnetic clasp.. so like my other vento I will get the HK-Army magtek universal chin strap (~20bucks) which comes with the fidlock magnetic clasp that I just pilfer from it. You also get a comfort chin pad which I also use.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Woland

by Woland

Robius wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:34 pm
New Oakley ARO5 Race

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/FO ... 3517777852
A word of caution for users of the previous generation O Aro5 users who are considering an upgrade - the new model fits very differently.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Any advice on on a light aero helmet with visor?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Woland wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:44 pm
Robius wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:34 pm
New Oakley ARO5 Race

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/FO ... 3517777852
A word of caution for users of the previous generation O Aro5 users who are considering an upgrade - the new model fits very differently.
I also think the straps are ridiculously short around the ear. I even have both m and L here and the junction still is almost on my ear....

marian

by marian

I never thought about buying an aero helmet in the past, but it happened... I bought an aero bike last year and I need to save a few watts :-)

I'm deciding between lazer vento and evade 3. I probably won't go wrong with either helmet. I don't have the possibility to compare them directly. I would prefer the more compact one and of course better ventilation. I have good experiences with big S - tarmac sl7, s-works shoes, etc

RDY

by RDY

Anyone tried the Smith Ignite MIPS (updated recently with MIPS)?

renoracing

by renoracing

RDY wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm
I have two of the Ignite Mips helmets. They're really comfortable for me, and have pretty good cooling/ventilation. I love my Abus Gamechangers for their streamline look, but the Smith is better in the heat, and is my go to helmet for rides up to 85F. The front vents store my Oakley Jawbreakers nicely as well, and with the addition of a magnetic Fidlock, they're pretty ideal.

RDY

by RDY

renoracing wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:42 pm
RDY wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm
I have two of the Ignite Mips helmets. They're really comfortable for me, and have pretty good cooling/ventilation. I love my Abus Gamechangers for their streamline look, but the Smith is better in the heat, and is my go to helmet for rides up to 85F. The front vents store my Oakley Jawbreakers nicely as well, and with the addition of a magnetic Fidlock, they're pretty ideal.
I'm on the GameChanger currently too. I don't really bother with summer helmets even though I regularly ride in 40+ Celsuis heat, as it seems to make little difference to how much I sweat (masses) and I don't overheat. I'm very happy with it, besides the sizing - the largest one is pretty small. I can't fit a skullcap under it, the fit is so marginal - which makes for problems in strong sidewinds as sweat then gets blown into my eyes.

Is the Koroyd effective at preventing insects entering the helmet? The GameChanger is very good at *not* sucking in large stinging insects, of which there are a lot here, but doesn't have room to add mesh inside. The Ignite looks like it will suck more bugs. If the Koroyd doesn't prevent this, would it be easy to add mesh inside?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

marian wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:47 pm
I never thought about buying an aero helmet in the past, but it happened... I bought an aero bike last year and I need to save a few watts :-)
I purchased my first aero helmet five years ago, but saving watts was not the main reason. I like to use aero helmet on my autumn and spring rides, when the weather is cool and windy. The aero helmets used to be a bit less ventilated than the summer helmets, which helped to keep warm.

I just got a new Giro Eclipse to replace my old Vanquish. Unfortunately the spring is late here, I will not be able to test it very soon.