Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aryeh

by Aryeh

calicyclist wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 am
RadB wrote:I'm happy to see the new ballista, the old version was one of my favourite helmets and I miss how quiet it was. Looking forward to trying this new one out.
I bought one last week and I rode a century with it on Sunday. It's great.ImageImage
That looks very hot. How bad was the sweat factor?
It wasn't terribly hot out but it felt fine even on the climbs and no sweat made it into my sunglasses (something that happened with my Vanquish)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

Hi Weenies - I'm trying to find a table / chart that compared a number of aero & lighweight helmets from various manufacturers. As memory serves, its from 3-5 years ago, and I thought I'd kept a copy, but can't find it now - either on the site or through Google.

From memory, the comparison had among others:
Abus Airbreaker & Gamechanger
Bontrager Velocis & Ballista
Giro Synthe & Vanquish
Specialized Prevail & Evade

Does anyone here have a copy of that or remember where that was posted?

js

by js

I finally found it, so figured I'd post it here as a reference. It is slightly out-dated now, but still helpful.

Robius

by Robius

js wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:04 pm
I finally found it, so figured I'd post it here as a reference. It is slightly out-dated now, but still helpful.

A few more:

https://imgur.com/a/AkigQzD
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

js

by js

Thanks for that Robius.

I wish there were more of these comparative records available. It's a bit like the Tour drag test for bikes, and given there can be as much drag difference between helmets as bike frames these days, it's certainly a resource that would have value.

In my own case, I recently picked up an Abus Airbreaker, because it fit incredibly well and I wanted a light / well-vented helmet for mountain biking. I've been so impressed by the fit and form of the helmet though that I often wear it on the road too - in place of my normal Lazer Vento helmet.

Without a comparative record for helmet aerodynamics, I'm not sure what if anything I'm giving up for drag on those days.

To be fair, I'm not competing at a level to make the answer important, but that doesn't mean I'm not still curious.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The problem with helmet aero comparisons is the rankings shuffle a lot between individuals…way more than positional changes affect bike rankings.

Looking at how the new Ballista sits on my head and how the teardrop shape sits above my back…it just doesn’t pass the eye test in my specific case compared to a more basic design like the Giro Eclipse.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

First ride last night with the revised Kask Utopia Y, for me the fit/comfort nearly as good as the Protone Icon now.
I don't find the ventilation particularly good on the Protone, which is surprising given the abundance of vents - the Utopia seems at least as good if not better. Last night was a fast group ride and around 16 degrees so not exactly not but it was a tough workout. We're (UK) due to have 25 degrees next week so will see how it performs then but my initial feeling are very positive.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the current Ballista and I'm looking to buy the new Ballista. I love aero helmets for their quietness. I don't like the design of the current Ballista (the sides are too low). The new one seems to be vastly improved.

Does anyone who has both versions comment on sizing? My current one in M seems too large. The helmet sits really low. I watched a video of someone who bought a second gen Ballista in size S commented that the helmet is too small for his head, and that all of the helmets he owns are in size S. So perhaps I need to stick with size M if Trek has actually made the helmet smaller in each size. My head's circumference is 22". Has anyone with the same size head as me bought a S or M and could comment on the fit? When I looked at the pros wearing the new Ballista, they all look way too high on the head. It makes me wonder if the pros are all wearing size S. Very odd. Thanks.

This guy is wearing a new Ballista in size L. I assume the previous version is also a L.

This is what it looks like on a pro. It looks way too small...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I tried the new Ballista in store and it sits too high on my head as well. I’d say similar to the second photo. Giro helmets for me even though everyone at that company either got laid off or resigned recently…

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:59 am
I tried the new Ballista in store and it sits too high on my head as well. I’d say similar to the second photo. Giro helmets for me even though everyone at that company either got laid off or resigned recently…
Which size did you try? Do you think the issue is more of a helmet not fitting your head well or a sizing issue? My old Ballista in M sits way too low. I'm not sure if I'm having a sizing issue as I never tried on a size S.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:20 am

Which size did you try? Do you think the issue is more of a helmet not fitting your head well or a sizing issue? My old Ballista in M sits way too low. I'm not sure if I'm having a sizing issue as I never tried on a size S.

I'm a medium in every brand I can think of. There were no odd pressure points, it just sits too high on my head.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. I'll have to find a store with a M and try it on myself. My current one sits very low, almost as if it's one size too large for me. But according to the size chart I should be on a M.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

A Kask Utopia Y was delivered today - size M. My head is 58cm which is the top of size recommendation, but the helmet felt huge.
I've ordered an S to compare, but I'd be surprised is it offered the correct fit, but it's worth a try.

I'm usually a Giro man but I fancy a change and they don't currently have anything in their line which appeals.
This is my 1st Kask and I have mixed feelings. The construction and finish are 1st class, but I guess they should be 275 euro.
Im a bit disappointed with the rear adjustment system, it moves too easily. If I set it to my size, it's easily moved when I rise my head by the neck bulge you get at the back of your neck 😆.
I'll see if the S if any different when it arrives.

My main issue/concern is that "leather" chin strap. It's super thick and doesn't look like it will last after being covered in sun cream etc.
Im shocked it's not replaceable given it will effectively write off the helmet.

If I can obtain a nice fit, I'll probably stick with it and hope the strap holds out, but im left feeling there must be something better out there.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I read a review only saying, Utopia Y is bigger in the size than Protone or if it was Valegro. Question is if it is different talking fit, than the outgoing Utopia!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:54 pm
I read a review only saying, Utopia Y is bigger in the size than Protone or if it was Valegro. Question is if it is different talking fit, than the outgoing Utopia!?
I can't say 100% but the small arrived today (utopia) the utopia R i have is an M.

The M is a bucket and the S is juuuuust about workable but the overall fit feels about the same - as much as I can compare.

The Kask clasps are awful compared to giro - that whole chin strap system is a something that could be improved IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com