Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:21 pm
Anyone tried the new Trek Velocis? Looks like it could be a good balance or aero and ventilation.
I asked the same thing so hoping someone here has. I have the old Velocis which according to some independent non scientific rider testing was pretty fast, but for me lacked a little venting. I just ordered the new Velocis and hope that helps my hot head. The new one does have a smaller overall size so should be faster, and TREK do claim it is.

There's some on eBay right now pretty cheap from the Netherlands, I got mine from the UK and the euro spec are also lighter than what I can get here in the US
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Thanks, think I might give it a go — will report back.
Currently using a Utopia which I do like but the sweat management is terrible for me, even when it's not hot!
I had an old Ballista and I could get in a medium (rather than large in Specialized and Giro) so hoping this is the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm
Thanks, think I might give it a go — will report back.
Currently using a Utopia which I do like but the sweat management is terrible for me, even when it's not hot!
I had an old Ballista and I could get in a medium (rather than large in Specialized and Giro) so hoping this is the same.
I am currently using a small Velocis when I was a medium in most other brands. I don't think it's going to solve all of my sweat issues (sweat runs down my face into my glasses to the point I don't even wear them) but a thin headband and the added vents up front seem like they may help. My main reason for switching is I can no longer get replacement pads for the old Velocis, I have one set left and may try to sell that helmet with the new pair or save it for colder months

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

**Moderator Speaking Officially:

There was good discussion on Aero vs Heat that turned personal. The personal attacks have been delete.

We all care a ton about bikes. The key is to stay composed and not let our passion transform into something negatively personal unto each other. I'm not going to call out names but if you notice your messages have been deleted you know who you are. Please continue to love bikes while staying composed when engaging others, thanks.

Carry on.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I don't know what it is with my new Velocis but it is hella uncomfortable. Came from the previous generation velocis in the same size and this one has a horrendous pressure point on the rear left of my head and just fits smaller overall. No good
Last edited by cleanneon98 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

I saw an aero looking helmet on an instagram reel that I now can't find. It had the letter 'A' on it written as a sort of stylised calligraphy 'A'. I know that isn't much information to go on but anyone know what brand that might be?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:44 pm
I saw an aero looking helmet on an instagram reel that I now can't find. It had the letter 'A' on it written as a sort of stylised calligraphy 'A'. I know that isn't much information to go on but anyone know what brand that might be?

Are you thinking of the Sweet Protection “S” logo which could look like an “A” at an angle?

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked it out but no that's not it.

garbageman

by garbageman

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:02 pm
Can't think of anything with an A, but along the same lines of THY's guess maybe the new Ekoi with a stylized "e" that could be mistaken for an A?

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

garbageman wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 am
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:02 pm
Can't think of anything with an A, but along the same lines of THY's guess maybe the new Ekoi with a stylized "e" that could be mistaken for an A?
Not it either. Of course it's possible someone added a decal to a different helmet and it might be a lost cause 😂

Nohands83

by Nohands83

2 rides with Velocis and I'll be keeping it.

Positives: The fit is really good for me, ventilation feels good - only 5/6 degrees here today but had to wear a cap as I got a cold head - didn't with the Utopia. 1 or 2 drops of sweat on the glasses but significantly less than the Utopia. The profile is low and it's a pretty small helmet (size medium).

Negatives: the chin strap is too long, can be easily cut and made tidy though. The boa cradle works well but does feel slightly flimsy.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I noticed Specialized released a new semi aero helmet the Propero 4 the other day.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:49 am

Not it either. Of course it's possible someone added a decal to a different helmet and it might be a lost cause 😂
Julbo?

https://www.julbo.com/en_gb/casques-de- ... t#216=1464

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:46 am
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:49 am

Julbo?

https://www.julbo.com/en_gb/casques-de- ... t#216=1464
Nope, it was more of a calligraphic 'A' like the Oakland As, and the helmet was a cream colour.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike