Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm
I just got the vento from Lazer... so no spesh evade this time around.
How do you like it so far? I have a G1 and love it for hot days but want an aero helmet. Wanted to pick up a Kask Utopia but can't find my size in stock in white, and it looks like they may be releasing a new aero helmet soon. So it's Kask and Lazer right now.
so far so good.. no super hot weather yet , maybe 80ish F max so the jury is still out on the 90-100 degree days. It's better then my Evade2, that I can say for sure.
I added a Fidlock magnetic buckle that came with a strap cover that is pretty soft.. so it's pretty luxury right now.

The helmet is really compact.. it looks like it should weigh 260g instead of the 300g (medium) it really does. I might be up to 305g with custom paint and fidlock.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markdjr

by markdjr

Where did you get the fidlock buckle?
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
How do you like it so far? I have a G1 and love it for hot days but want an aero helmet. Wanted to pick up a Kask Utopia but can't find my size in stock in white, and it looks like they may be releasing a new aero helmet soon. So it's Kask and Lazer right now.
so far so good.. no super hot weather yet , maybe 80ish F max so the jury is still out on the 90-100 degree days. It's better then my Evade2, that I can say for sure.
I added a Fidlock magnetic buckle that came with a strap cover that is pretty soft.. so it's pretty luxury right now.

The helmet is really compact.. it looks like it should weigh 260g instead of the 300g (medium) it really does. I might be up to 305g with custom paint and fidlock.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

markdjr wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:28 am
Where did you get the fidlock buckle?
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:

stolen from this..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096PTVPWS?ps ... ct_details

and the removable pad is a bonus, because it's comfy
I know it says magtek bucklein the picture, but my buckle says fidlock.

renoracing

by renoracing

I've been eyeballing the Lazer Vento, and up until the last few really hot days at the Tour, many of the Jumbo team was wearing them, which leads me to believe that it can't be that unbareable.

Regarding Fidlock Buckles... I've sewn them onto all five of my helmets(Smith, Giro, Abus) and they've all utilized a 15mm (aka 5/8") strap, and I've used this buckle. Easy to undo with one hand, and even easier to re-attach together...

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/f ... nap-buckle

C36

by C36

ViperFFM wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 am

I know Abus did design their gamechanger taking into account different head position (looking down, sprinting…) versus a theoretical best in « lab conditions on a mannequin ».
Do you have a source for this? Maybe in german? id be very interested as I consider the design one of the best
I saw a technical presentation years ago, made for Movistar. The traces that are still visible are this video and this spec details

https://www.facebook.com/abuscycling/vi ... 880478190/

Those head-position variations always made me very doubtful on all helmets aero tests. A bike goes straight, a wheel spins more or less straight… a helmet is all over the place and I don’t recall anyone measuring the different head position. Something similar to what Mavic did 2 decades ago with their wind yaw angle weighted curve.

js

by js

I picked up a Lazer Vento on S-Tec Flash sale and I'm really impressed with the ventilation - I live in the Prairies, so can't speak about long-slow climbs yet, but I could feel more air moving through it vs the Evade (1st gen) I wore earlier in the week.

Has anyone seen any aero test results for the Vento?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have not tried Evade3, but I like my Vento better then evade1 and 2. No idea on aero test.

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

Just ordered the white Laser Vento for 197 euros.
Because the white Rudy Project Nytron is sold out everywhere.

Enjoy Life

Nickldn

by Nickldn

C36 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:48 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 am

I know Abus did design their gamechanger taking into account different head position (looking down, sprinting…) versus a theoretical best in « lab conditions on a mannequin ».
Do you have a source for this? Maybe in german? id be very interested as I consider the design one of the best
I saw a technical presentation years ago, made for Movistar. The traces that are still visible are this video and this spec details

https://www.facebook.com/abuscycling/vi ... 880478190/

Those head-position variations always made me very doubtful on all helmets aero tests. A bike goes straight, a wheel spins more or less straight… a helmet is all over the place and I don’t recall anyone measuring the different head position. Something similar to what Mavic did 2 decades ago with their wind yaw angle weighted curve.
I was out this afternoon in my Oakley ARO7. This helmet doesn't have a peak at the back and I can't figure out if head down or head up is faster. Head up definitely increases airflow.

I think optimum head position would differ from helmet to helmet and also depend on yaw angles, as well as back angle for airflow.

Too much uncertainty in aero, but it does make me faster so can't be all bad.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Recently bought the Met Trenta. It's light, looks good and is comfortable (for my head). But the craftsmanship is horrible. Strands of fiber sticking out here and there. Glue on the paint (which fortunately can be removed by rubbing). Visible unpainted edges. Uneven lines. For a product of this price, they should be ashamed. See the red and white helmet on this video and you'll know what I mean: https://youtu.be/t2Wkwv6zFmQ

MET needs to seriously go inspect what's coming out of their factory more often. I'm just glad that I didn't pay full price.

js

by js

Bumping this thread back up to see if anyone has seen independent (or even non) aero testing results with the Lazer Vento included. They've been out in the wild for quite some time, but I haven't see anyone weigh in on their aero performance.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Yeah, i was wondering how aero the Kask Protone Icon is :)

C36

by C36

To answer the question, i am not aware of recent tests published.

Now, a reminder that among the least reliable wind-tunnel test, helmets are probably on the very top since the way they hit the wind varies all the time depending on head position.

A bit different but TT helmets, on the track, 2 riders will rank helmets in quite a different order just based on their head position (and how the rear shape blend with the back).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

catlike-new-whisper-1.jpg
catlike-new-whisper-1.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
catlike-whisper-2.jpg
Thought about Lazer Vento, Kask Utopia and then i noted new Catlike Whisper is soon out.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Where is that aero tho
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com