Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gorandotcom

by gorandotcom

TobinHatesYou wrote:
BenCousins wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 pm

If he's not racing, why is he wearing an aero helmet? If he's racing why does it matter how it looks?

Why wouldn't you wear an aero helmet as a non-racer? Most modern aero helmets have enough ventilation for even the hottest days.
I could not agree more. If you are doing a long climb on a hot day, an aero helmet might not be the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-works Tarmac SL8

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

gorandotcom wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:17 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
BenCousins wrote:

If he's not racing, why is he wearing an aero helmet? If he's racing why does it matter how it looks?

Why wouldn't you wear an aero helmet as a non-racer? Most modern aero helmets have enough ventilation for even the hottest days.
I could not agree more. If you are doing a long climb on a hot day, an aero helmet might not be the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I wear aero helmet if I wind noise can be annoying. Being slippery to the wind isn't only reducing drag, it also cut down wind noise. Think of how loud you have to speak to communicate with friend just beside you in a group ride. I just won't tolerate loud non aero helmet in the wind anymore. Road and Gravel is 100% on aero helmet. Even XC mtb I wear semi-aero helmet if I go race pace.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 am
BenCousins wrote:

Cost. Why would you wear one?

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

If it's hot, I wear my POC Ventral Air, if it's mild or cold I wear my Kask Utopia. There is more to helmets than just performance.

SaladhOlivier

by SaladhOlivier

It's much warmer in an aero helmet on cold weather commute and if it rains less ingress of cold water to a head 😁

Lina

by Lina

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:28 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
BenCousins wrote:

If you're getting a helmet anyway why not get one that's aero? Usually the helmets of the same "level" are the same price. Both the Prevail and Evade for example are the exact same price. It's over 10 years from when I've last even bought a non aero helmet. The first ones were pretty hot on hot mountain days. But the current ones are really good at ventilation. Even the previous generation of aero helmets were good with ventilation. It's well over half a decade at this point from when I've had a non aero road helmet on my head.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Lina wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:52 am
BenCousins wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:28 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
BenCousins wrote:

If you're getting a helmet anyway why not get one that's aero? Usually the helmets of the same "level" are the same price. Both the Prevail and Evade for example are the exact same price. It's over 10 years from when I've last even bought a non aero helmet. The first ones were pretty hot on hot mountain days. But the current ones are really good at ventilation. Even the previous generation of aero helmets were good with ventilation. It's well over half a decade at this point from when I've had a non aero road helmet on my head.
Why not always wear a TT helmet or ride a TT bike?

You can extrapolate this argument to 'why don't you purchase the most aero version of everything?' - bike, components, wheels, tires, clothes. The fact is - if you optimise just for aero you compromise other things: cost (almost everything), comfort (normal socks are more comfortable than aero socks), weight (many things), warmth (winter clothing is not as aero), crosswinds (wheels), practicality (a race suit is more hassle than bibs and jersey), ease of maintenance (integrated bars), braking (rims vs discs) etc etc etc.

I have an aero helmet. I use it in competition where it makes sense to do so relative to other factors. But it's not my everyday because it's heavy and the straps less adjustable than my everyday.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:08 am

Aero helmets are becoming more TT helmet-like ever day. Also my Eclipse weighs less than my Aries.

As for TT bikes, I've made my road bike fit as TT-esque as possible. I have an Ashaa RR Carbon on order and a very long stem. As most of my riding is fast group rides, a full TT setup would be frowned upon by others.

Lina

by Lina

BenCousins wrote:

You can extrapolate this argument to 'why don't you purchase the most aero version of everything?' - bike, components, wheels, tires, clothes. The fact is - if you optimise just for aero you compromise other things: cost (almost everything), comfort (normal socks are more comfortable than aero socks), weight (many things), warmth (winter clothing is not as aero), crosswinds (wheels), practicality (a race suit is more hassle than bibs and jersey), ease of maintenance (integrated bars), braking (rims vs discs) etc etc etc.

I have an aero helmet. I use it in competition where it makes sense to do so relative to other factors. But it's not my everyday because it's heavy and the straps less adjustable than my everyday.
Funnily enough, I'm really interested in the new POC aero helmet. If your aero helmet doesn't fit as well as your other helmets it means you've bought a wrong aero helmet. It's the same with shoes, don't blame the shoemaker for making a bad shoe if you buy a shoe that doesn't fit your foot.

Weight doesn't matter. It's an illusion, it doesn't actually matter when talking about the differences between aero clothing, wheels or frames for example.

I don't own wheels under 50 mm depth and I live on a coast where the average wind speeds are higher than in Kona. On the very tip of a narrow cape. It's windy every single day. It's literally a non issue. It was a slight problem over 15 years ago when deep wheels first came out. Hasn't been a problem in ages.

Personally I like 1 piece suits more and find them comfier than bibs + jersey. My problem is that I've yet to find a chamois that agrees with my saddle and ass other than Assos. So I'm kinda limited on that front.

Cost, most aero equipment of similar level is the same price as lighter equipment of the same level. Deep and shallow wheels are the same price, aero and lightweight bikes are the same price, aero and non aero helmets are the same price. Sure there are also some things that are better suited for race days only, like socks for example. And you save in cost if you're not buying double of everything. Sure it doesn't make much sense to upgrade stuff just to save a couple watts unless you're getting paid to do it. But when you're buying something new anyway it makes sense to buy the faster option.

With integrated bars if you run your cables underneath the stem instead of inside the stem there isn't much difference in maintenance. In fact AXS + hydraulic discs is a lot less maintenance required than rim brakes + mechanical shifting.

jo.k

by jo.k

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:26 am
BenCousins wrote:

Aero helmets are becoming more TT helmet-like ever day. Also my Eclipse weighs less than my Aries.

As for TT bikes, I've made my road bike fit as TT-esque as possible. I have an Ashaa RR Carbon on order and a very long stem. As most of my riding is fast group rides, a full TT setup would be frowned upon by others.
Looking forward to your feedback on the Ashaa RR as it (for now, anyways) is the only of the wild new narrow bars that have a somewhat "traditional" round drop.

kervelo

by kervelo

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Lina wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:11 am
BenCousins wrote:

Weight doesn't matter. It's an illusion, it doesn't actually matter when talking about the differences between aero clothing, wheels or frames for example.

Cost, most aero equipment of similar level is the same price as lighter equipment of the same level. Deep and shallow wheels are the same price, aero and lightweight bikes are the same price, aero and non aero helmets are the same price.
To be clear, I'm not in any way suggesting chosing between light vs aero, (unless you are competing in a situation where that matters) I'm just listing that as one possible compromise.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I don't wear pure aero helmets because I sweat too much in a regular helmet as it is, and I think a lot of them look really silly. They may be better vented than ones from a decade ago, but not enough
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Anyone tried the new Trek Velocis? Looks like it could be a good balance or aero and ventilation.