Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

MitchatTrek wrote:
cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:47 am
MitchatTrek wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:55 pm
cajer wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:22 pm
Looks like the new ballistia dropped without wavecel. They claim it's ~5W faster at 300W nothing on how fast the person is going though... I hate these new methods of obsfucating aero results.

https://bikerumor.com/new-trek-ballista ... e-helmets/
Hey Cajer, we saw the comment about the Ballista and just wanted to help with that knowledge as it looks BikeRumor didn't include all of the data from our media package we gave them. The power saved claims are all at 45 km/h. The time saved per hour claims were based on an hour trial at 300 Watts. We saw the new Ballista was approximately a 5 Watt (at 45 km/h) improvement from the old model in the wind tunnel. The wind tunnel testing for that number was conducted at 45 km/h, but we also ran slower speeds from ~30 km/h to 45 km/h and found similar CDA decreases from the old Ballista. The biggest advantage was around 42 km/h, where the CDA decrease was actually 20% higher than what we found at 45 km/h. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info that's very helpful and not obsfucated at all.

Do you happen to have data comparing this helmet to any of your competitors helmets?
We tested an abundance of competitor helmets for our own R&D purposes until we were satisfied with the results we achieved for our helmets. However, the data from our testing isn't publicly available. One thing to note about our testing as well is that we tested in a TT position, even though the Ballista MIPS was not designed to be a focused TT helmet. It sat in the middle of the pack of the best TT helmets we could find and perform side-by-side tests with.
THANK YOU !
simply blabla-ing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Thanks for the response Mitch!

Does anyone know if there are third party test results with the Giro Eclispe helmet? It doesn't seem like it should be significantly faster than the vanquish, but giro says it is

thirdsun

by thirdsun

I'm still considering the Lazer Vento but lately also added the Specialized Evade 3 to my list of candidates. What's the consensus on these two? It seems independent measurements are hard to come by.

I'm less concerned about ventilation. My priority is aero performance and comfort.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

MilesG813

by MilesG813

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:12 pm
I'm still considering the Lazer Vento but lately also added the Specialized Evade 3 to my list of candidates. What's the consensus on these two? It seems independent measurements are hard to come by.

I'm less concerned about ventilation. My priority is aero performance and comfort.
I was originally considering the vento when it was first released but after trying it on went with the Evade 2 (before Evade 3). Head shape is going to make this decision for you as they are very differently shaped. You need to find both locally and try them on. I love my Evade and do not find it too hot, despite living in Florida.

[Edit] Although I do believe the Vento tested faster in the wind tunnel and the Evade 3 isn't any faster than the 2 just better vents.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Is there any aero test which includes the kask utopia ?
simply blabla-ing

thirdsun

by thirdsun

MilesG813 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 pm
thirdsun wrote:

I was originally considering the vento when it was first released but after trying it on went with the Evade 2 (before Evade 3). Head shape is going to make this decision for you as they are very differently shaped. You need to find both locally and try them on. I love my Evade and do not find it too hot, despite living in Florida.

[Edit] Although I do believe the Vento tested faster in the wind tunnel and the Evade 3 isn't any faster than the 2 just better vents.
Thanks.

Are you sure about the Vento testing faster? According to Lazer the Vento is 2,3% more aerodynamic than the Lazer Bullet 2.0. However according to this comparison by Aero Coach the Bullet was somewhat behind the Evade 2 to begin with: https://youtu.be/8RlTcac7QUg

By that logic the Vento should still measure worse than the Evade, right?
  • Vitus Venon Evo

MilesG813

by MilesG813

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:01 pm
MilesG813 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Thanks.

Are you sure about the Vento testing faster? According to Lazer the Vento is 2,3% more aerodynamic than the Lazer Bullet 2.0. However according to this comparison by Aero Coach the Bullet was somewhat behind the Evade 2 to begin with: https://youtu.be/8RlTcac7QUg

By that logic the Vento should still measure worse than the Evade, right?
That is my recollection of my research at the time but perhaps I was mistaken. Either way I feel like I made the right choice. I would definitely buy an Evade 3 if it's as fast as the 2 with better venting.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm a vento and evade and evade2 owner.. I will be skipping the Evade3 based on my riding of all 3. I think the helmets are pretty close in terms of aero, but can see why the evade2/3 might be marginally faster in some situations and I can see the vento being faster in others. I think the length of the helmet has something to do it
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

forklifter

by forklifter

m3bas wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:20 am
calicyclist wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:26 am
New Kask Utopia Y helmet looks pretty nice. I like the blue color!

Any thoughts?
I had the old one, had to put a different pad in the front but looks like they've changed that. Otherwise great helmet, vented well.
Only issue is there is no-where to store sunglasses on the helmet. Might or might not be an issue, was for me.
Which Pad did you used to replace the original one? I have the same issue. Front pad is soft like there would be nothing.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

MilesG813 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Finally ordered and received both helmets and while I would be fine with either the Evade 3 fits slightly better and looks much better due to its compact shape. As a small person the Lazer Vento looked huge an me.

Didn't have a chance to ride the helmet yet but I'm very happy with the Evade's fit. I'm confident the aero performance will be as good as it gets.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

warickwrx

by warickwrx

Anyone using a " Limar Air Atlas " looking for some thoughts and opinion's. Stuck between the Air Atlas or Evade 3

Drappo

by Drappo

Kask have a new helmet?
Alhoa

cajer

by cajer

Just picked up a new Trek Ballistia. It's beatifully made. The internal aeroshaping in the tail is quite complex and the vents are extremely large. I'll give it a test ride this weekend and report back.

Nereth

by Nereth

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:21 am
MilesG813 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Finally ordered and received both helmets and while I would be fine with either the Evade 3 fits slightly better and looks much better due to its compact shape. As a small person the Lazer Vento looked huge an me.

Didn't have a chance to ride the helmet yet but I'm very happy with the Evade's fit. I'm confident the aero performance will be as good as it gets.
When i tried on an Evade III, it sat much higher on my head than the evade II, made it look bigger?

Maybe I needed to size up?

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Nereth wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:38 am
thirdsun wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:21 am
MilesG813 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

When i tried on an Evade III, it sat much higher on my head than the evade II, made it look bigger?

Maybe I needed to size up?
I'm not sure. Does it sit well (regardless of looks)? If yes, I don't sizing up is a good idea.

Maybe it depends on my overall size (I'm small at 165 cm) and the Evade 3 looks much sleeker than my Lazer Genesis and the Vento I also tried. Those helmets gave me a proper muchroom look.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com