Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

kervelo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:50 pm
marian wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:47 pm
I never thought about buying an aero helmet in the past, but it happened... I bought an aero bike last year and I need to save a few watts :-)
I purchased my first aero helmet five years ago, but saving watts was not the main reason. I like to use aero helmet on my autumn and spring rides, when the weather is cool and windy. The aero helmets used to be a bit less ventilated than the summer helmets, which helped to keep warm.

I just got a new Giro Eclipse to replace my old Vanquish. Unfortunately the spring is late here, I will not be able to test it very soon.
Let me know what you think of the wind noise info the eclipse. I used to have a vanquish also and it seems like the eclipse is much nosier

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marian

by marian

kervelo wrote:
marian wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:47 pm
I never thought about buying an aero helmet in the past, but it happened... I bought an aero bike last year and I need to save a few watts :-)
I purchased my first aero helmet five years ago, but saving watts was not the main reason. I like to use aero helmet on my autumn and spring rides, when the weather is cool and windy. The aero helmets used to be a bit less ventilated than the summer helmets, which helped to keep warm.

I just got a new Giro Eclipse to replace my old Vanquish. Unfortunately the spring is late here, I will not be able to test it very soon.
I agree, I want to use an aero helmet even when it's cold outside and the head will be more protected during cold days in spring and autumn. So far I've been riding limar ultralight and uvex race and between 2 degrees - 8 degrees celsius I'm prone to colds

calicyclist

by calicyclist

New Kask Utopia Y helmet looks pretty nice. I like the blue color!

Any thoughts?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

m3bas

by m3bas

calicyclist wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:26 am
New Kask Utopia Y helmet looks pretty nice. I like the blue color!

Any thoughts?
I had the old one, had to put a different pad in the front but looks like they've changed that. Otherwise great helmet, vented well.
Only issue is there is no-where to store sunglasses on the helmet. Might or might not be an issue, was for me.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Quick question: I'm considering upgrading to a Lazer Vento Kineticore. However I already own a Lazer Genesis und often use it with Lazer's Aeroshell. Mostly as weather protection. Now I'm wondering if there even is a worthwhile aerodynamic difference between an aerodynamically optimized helmet like the Vento and an Aeroshell-equipped Genesis. Any thoughts?

I like the versatility of the Aeroshell approach. It's a huge feature in the winter.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:53 am
Quick question: I'm considering upgrading to a Lazer Vento Kineticore. However I already own a Lazer Genesis und often use it with Lazer's Aeroshell. Mostly as weather protection. Now I'm wondering if there even is a worthwhile aerodynamic difference between an aerodynamically optimized helmet like the Vento and an Aeroshell-equipped Genesis. Any thoughts?

I like the versatility of the Aeroshell approach. It's a huge feature in the winter.
Frontal area is probably the single biggest contributor to aero drag, so a svelte modern helmet is almost surely more aero than Genesis+additional shell. Plus, the Vento name implies good venting...which is necessary on hotter days or on climbs.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:57 am
thirdsun wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:53 am

Frontal area is probably the single biggest contributor to aero drag, so a svelte modern helmet is almost surely more aero than Genesis+additional shell. Plus, the Vento name implies good venting...which is necessary on hotter days or on climbs.
Sure, I'm aware of the difference in ventilation, which is is less of a concern though other than on very hot days. I'ts all absolutely flat in my area.

Thanks for the clarification concerning the aero performance.

I wish Lazer would offer an additional Aeroshell for the Vento since it's really useful in winter or on rainy days.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

cajer

by cajer

Looks like the new ballistia dropped without wavecel. They claim it's ~5W faster at 300W nothing on how fast the person is going though... I hate these new methods of obsfucating aero results.

https://bikerumor.com/new-trek-ballista ... e-helmets/

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

i'm not using a Trek helmet if i don't have a Trek, but i'll happily use S-Works, should have marketed it as a Bontrager maybe

Renne

by Renne

danridesbikes wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:43 am
i'm not using a Trek helmet if i don't have a Trek, but i'll happily use S-Works, should have marketed it as a Bontrager maybe
With you on the Trek reasoning, but for me the same applies to S-Works...as that is the moniker Specialized uses for their top frames and bikes.
For components Trek has the Bontrager name and Specialized had the Roval name, yet for some reason they don't want to use them for helmets (even though Trek has always done that in the past...weird) :noidea:

RDY

by RDY

cajer wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:22 pm
Looks like the new ballistia dropped without wavecel. They claim it's ~5W faster at 300W nothing on how fast the person is going though... I hate these new methods of obsfucating aero results.

Ballista looks good in most respects ... but that huge recessed exhaust vent on the top is going to burn or heat up your head really nicely in summer sun. Only tested in winter or by people with thick light colored hair? Usually those kind of large exhaust vents are shielded from direct sun exposure.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

End of 2023 (new) Catlike Whisper comes out.
Seems it's going to be cheap. They told me 120 Euro, but i wonder if that's really correct!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

cajer wrote:

Hey Cajer, we saw the comment about the Ballista and just wanted to help with that knowledge as it looks BikeRumor didn't include all of the data from our media package we gave them. The power saved claims are all at 45 km/h. The time saved per hour claims were based on an hour trial at 300 Watts. We saw the new Ballista was approximately a 5 Watt (at 45 km/h) improvement from the old model in the wind tunnel. The wind tunnel testing for that number was conducted at 45 km/h, but we also ran slower speeds from ~30 km/h to 45 km/h and found similar CDA decreases from the old Ballista. The biggest advantage was around 42 km/h, where the CDA decrease was actually 20% higher than what we found at 45 km/h. Hope that helps!
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

cajer

by cajer

MitchatTrek wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:55 pm
cajer wrote:

Hey Cajer, we saw the comment about the Ballista and just wanted to help with that knowledge as it looks BikeRumor didn't include all of the data from our media package we gave them. The power saved claims are all at 45 km/h. The time saved per hour claims were based on an hour trial at 300 Watts. We saw the new Ballista was approximately a 5 Watt (at 45 km/h) improvement from the old model in the wind tunnel. The wind tunnel testing for that number was conducted at 45 km/h, but we also ran slower speeds from ~30 km/h to 45 km/h and found similar CDA decreases from the old Ballista. The biggest advantage was around 42 km/h, where the CDA decrease was actually 20% higher than what we found at 45 km/h. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info that's very helpful and not obsfucated at all.

Do you happen to have data comparing this helmet to any of your competitors helmets?

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:47 am
MitchatTrek wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:55 pm
cajer wrote:

Thanks for the info that's very helpful and not obsfucated at all.

Do you happen to have data comparing this helmet to any of your competitors helmets?
We tested an abundance of competitor helmets for our own R&D purposes until we were satisfied with the results we achieved for our helmets. However, the data from our testing isn't publicly available. One thing to note about our testing as well is that we tested in a TT position, even though the Ballista MIPS was not designed to be a focused TT helmet. It sat in the middle of the pack of the best TT helmets we could find and perform side-by-side tests with.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com