Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hlvd

by hlvd

I'm thinking of moving from a Bontrager Velocis 1st Generation to something more aero, either the current Velocis or Ballista.

Can someone with experience tell me what difference going from standard to aero helmet will make(I know, more aero).

Anyone have any experience of these helmets?

Thanks

AJS914

by AJS914

I got a Ballista a few months ago. I like it a lot.

I'm not sure what else people are going to tell you about going from a standard helmet to an aero helmet. Supposedly they save 8-10 watts at race speeds. Personally I can feel that the helmet slices through the air better. It's noticeable when you turn your head. Aero helmets are a little bit quieter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I switched from a Limar Ultralight to a Catlike Vento. Not the highest rated for aero, but I tried it at the LBS and the fit was super, price was good.
My first impressions on first rides were the Vento aero helmet is better ventilated (I though it would be too warm on hot days!).
So nothing to complain about my switch. Oh ! ANd I don't "feel" the extra few grams from the Ultralight to the Vento ;) .
Louis :)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Ballista. On my first ride I immediately noticed how quiet my ride is. So my conclusion is that quietness = more aero = more speed. Although I can’t feel the free speed the added quietness is a plus in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I did ballista as it has mips, and was independantly raited as having the highest safety rating of any road helmet (now apparently bested by one or two models, if you believe the new trek hype). It also was up there for aero numbers, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My only complaint is that the fit and straps are not as nice as my scott helmets.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wear a helmet that fits your head shape, otherwise safety/protection goes out the window. Aka if you tighten the fit system dial in the back and you can still slide the helmet off your forehead with a bit of force, then the helmet won’t work for you. This is why I only wear Giro or Bell helmets right now.

My experience with aero helmets is you can wear them on any flat ride regardless of temperature and you won’t overheat because you’re doing ~20mph.

You won’t notice any difference except placebo and the aero helmet might be a bit quieter.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

My Evade 2 (non-angi/mips) is cooler than my synthe unless I am going slower than 10mph for long periods of time. If I am riding in traffic and look left or right I can immediately feel the wind/sail-like effect that a longer helmet like the evade has. I personally am not going back to a regular non-aero helmet even for group rides.

hlvd

by hlvd

I'm thinking of buying a Ballista but if the Velocis is just as aero then I'd get that.

I can't find any comparisons yet but I'll message Trek as they're very good at answering Q&As.

hlvd

by hlvd

Double post

hlvd

by hlvd

RocketRacing wrote:I did ballista as it has mips, and was independantly raited as having the highest safety rating of any road helmet (now apparently bested by one or two models, if you believe the new trek hype). It also was up there for aero numbers, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My only complaint is that the fit and straps are not as nice as my scott helmets.
The strap arrangements are old fashioned around the ears, it's the same on my Velocis 1

AJS914

by AJS914

The Velocis is not supposed to be just as aero as the Ballista but rather a middle ground compromise of aero and cooling. This review seems balanced.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/bontrag ... ttle-warm/

Stueys

by Stueys

No reason not to go for an aero helmet unless you spend your life riding in 30 degree C. You lose a smidge of cooling for free speed. Research on MIPS et al construction are supports it offering extra protection from concussion type injuries so worth looking for something with that when you buy.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Never had cooling issues with the ballista, even on climbs, even with it being the black version.

hlvd

by hlvd

Anyone got the XXX Wavecell?

I've been on chat with a Trek representative and he says the XXX and Ballista are on par aero wise, Velocis not so.

XXX quite a bit more expensive though but I did see one in the shop yesterday, looks nice and not bulky.

AJS914

by AJS914

I wouldn't pay the money for the XXX. Trek made a big deal about wavecell but tests show that MIPs is just as good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com