Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slovenianbp

by slovenianbp

I went with previously suggested HJC Furion 2.0 in chameleon colorway. Not disappointed. It is pretty. I love the lightness, you can really feel the weight difference when directly comparing from specialized propero. It is a little bit wide for my head shape, but the fit is still better than I had with the propero. No overheating issues yet. We will see what summer brings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

slovenianbp wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 5:53 pm
I went with previously suggested HJC Furion 2.0 in chameleon colorway. Not disappointed. It is pretty. I love the lightness, you can really feel the weight difference when directly comparing from specialized propero. It is a little bit wide for my head shape, but the fit is still better than I had with the propero. No overheating issues yet. We will see what summer brings.
My almost 3 yrs experience with Furion 2.0: it's my best helmet for winter, OK to wear in summer (28-35 C) if I ride > 30 kph, but will easily overheat when climbing. Its ventilation is worse than Evade II.

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

HJC just launched their newest roadhelmet Bellus!
Saw it on their Insta today.

jlok

by jlok

cajer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:23 am
Just picked up a new Trek Ballistia. It's beatifully made. The internal aeroshaping in the tail is quite complex and the vents are extremely large. I'll give it a test ride this weekend and report back.
Weight? Also, would you share some photos of the internal channels? And how about the fit comparing to other helmets?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

nigel379

by nigel379

jlok wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:21 am
cajer wrote:
Just picked up a new Trek Ballistia. It's beatifully made. The internal aeroshaping in the tail is quite complex and the vents are extremely large. I'll give it a test ride this weekend and report back.
Weight? Also, would you share some photos of the internal channels? And how about the fit comparing to other helmets?
I picked up the new Ballista last week and can only rave about it. Much better ventilation than the Evade 2 (haven't ridden a 3 yet), very light at 241 grams for a US version in size small) and the finish on it in the Purple color is exceptional. Only complaint is the straps are definitely a step below Specialized and POC. Fit is on the small size- similar to POC but smaller than Specialized at least for me and my S/M sized head.

cajer

by cajer

jlok wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:21 am
cajer wrote:
It's lighter than my Giro Eclispe Spherical in Medium also. The ventallion is also expectional. Best of all helments I've worn including old Aethos, Synthe, Vanquish, Evade 1, and Eclispe Spherical.

jlok

by jlok

Thanks for the feedback and it sounds like a winner to me! Does it fit closer to round shape (e.g. Kask) or long oval (e.g. MET Trenta 3K MIPS)? Sorry didn't have a chance to try it out in shop.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:34 am
Thanks for the feedback and it sounds like a winner to me! Does it fit closer to round shape (e.g. Kask) or long oval (e.g. MET Trenta 3K MIPS)? Sorry didn't have a chance to try it out in shop.

Most oval = POC
Very oval = Specialized, Giro, Met
Somewhat oval = Bell, Bontrager/Trek

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:54 am
jlok wrote:

Most oval = POC
Thanks but I hope to see model specific fit comparison b'cos for example, I can wear M sized Trenta MIPS, old gen Trenta 3K non-MIPS and Manta MIPS, but not the current gen Trenta 3K MIPS. Size M POC Ventral SPIN marginally fits me but not perfectly. Kask Protone ICON and Utopia (non-Y) have the best fit for me.

zirxo

by zirxo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:54 am
jlok wrote:

Most oval = POC
I don't really understand this, I have the Octal, Ventral Air and Ventral Spin from POC. All in size M and they fit my head really good.
I've tried helmets from Specialized, Bontrager, and Lazer in size M and they all squeeze my temples which would suggest that they're too oval for my head...

MagicShite

by MagicShite

EDIT: delete, nvm, has to do with cooling effect. :roll:

calicyclist

by calicyclist

This one looks nice, albeit expensive. Not for sale yet anywhere as far as I can tell.

I ended up getting the Evade mostly because I liked the way it looked the best. It's been okay overall but I definitely am sweating a lot more in it than I was with my previous POC helmet. Without using the GUTR for sweat displacement I wasn't even able to wear glasses on a climb without my eyes filling up with eye stinging sweat. After putting the GUTR back to use it's been okay, but still might end up getting another helmet for climbing or maybe even just switching to this Kask one which seems to be split the line between aero and airy. Also because then I could say I have carbon fiber in my helmet! lmao.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

RadB

by RadB

I'm happy to see the new ballista, the old version was one of my favourite helmets and I miss how quiet it was. Looking forward to trying this new one out.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

RadB wrote:I'm happy to see the new ballista, the old version was one of my favourite helmets and I miss how quiet it was. Looking forward to trying this new one out.
I bought one last week and I rode a century with it on Sunday. It's great.ImageImage

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Aryeh wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 am
RadB wrote:I'm happy to see the new ballista, the old version was one of my favourite helmets and I miss how quiet it was. Looking forward to trying this new one out.
I bought one last week and I rode a century with it on Sunday. It's great.ImageImage
That looks very hot. How bad was the sweat factor?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com