Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

repoman wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:38 am
danridesbikes wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:58 pm
SL7latin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:52 am
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:58 pm
Has anyone seen a direct comparison between the Evade 2 and Evade 3 in terms of aerodynamics?
According to Spech's reveal press:
"Evade 3 can save less than 1 watt compared to evade 2 at 31 mph".

So the aerodynamics is quite even, but evade 3 is focus on ventilation, 10% more airflow than evade 2.
50% more bugs through the honking great hole in the front though (i have both)
Looks like a nice spot for a bike light
theres your business idea

cajer

by cajer

Are there any decently well vented TT helmets (more so than aerohead) that would work for road?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Any MIPS Air or Keniticore helmet is going to be pretty great.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

Any helmet marketed to triathaletes is proably going to be better suited and vented. Rudy Project "The Wing" helmet is one that seems like it has a pretty big vent

DoesMyBikeLookFat

by DoesMyBikeLookFat

Rudy's Wing is probably your best bet - up there with the Aerohead for being less sensitive to head position, and most riders feel it has better visibility / ventilation.

by 208

Why not the procen air?

cajer

by cajer

I actually have a Rudy Project Wing for TT. I'll wear it on a road ride today and see how it does.

It seems that both the Pocren, and many other TT (or some aero road) helmets are designed to be used with a visor today. Which makes me wonder how much of an aero hit do they take without one. Additionally the visors are quite uncomfortable for me as I wear prescription glasses. That's acceptable for a TT but less so for general road riding

DoesMyBikeLookFat

by DoesMyBikeLookFat

In most cases you have to test with and without - there are some helmets like the P09 that tended to test faster without; Giro's first aero road offering, the Vanquish, was slower with the visor. Slowtwitch and TimeTrialingForum often have info if you don't mind digging a bit.

I have a Procen Air on backorder, due mid-July, and an RP Wing. Planning to Chung test both when the Procen arrives to get some comparative data.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

page 34 for me.. scapewalker broke down test from cyclingweekly/news something?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

cajer

by cajer

Tried my Rudy project Wing. It's too hot even without the plug and visor. I guess I'll stick to the ballistia, as I wear glasses so can't use the visor on the Procen air

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DoesMyBikeLookFat wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:33 am
In most cases you have to test with and without - there are some helmets like the P09 that tended to test faster without; Giro's first aero road offering, the Vanquish, was slower with the visor. Slowtwitch and TimeTrialingForum often have info if you don't mind digging a bit.

I have a Procen Air on backorder, due mid-July, and an RP Wing. Planning to Chung test both when the Procen arrives to get some comparative data.

Helmets are individual. The Vanquish+visor is 1W faster for some. Also the Vanquish wasn’t Giro’s first aero road helmet, not even their first aero road helmet with a visor. That honor goes to the Air Attack.

cajer

by cajer

DoesMyBikeLookFat wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:33 am

It would be interesting if you could test them vs a normal aero road helmet say a Bontrager ballistia to see how much better they are.

Also it would be really interesting to see data on the procen air without the visor for those of us with glasses. As I think the visor is necessary to pass air smoothly over the ear covers.

Lina

by Lina

So a couple races and some faster rides now with the Procen Air. I'd say it has better ventilation than gen 2 Evade. Overall very happy with the helmet.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm very familar with the evade2.. so I just ordered a Procen Air.. wont get it to first half of July but looking at 100+F for the next week , but do have a TT coming July13th. Always have the old ultimate aerohead so no issue.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Just out of a Decathlon shop, the RCR and FCR helmets are now available with MIPS air (till now only the stds ones were available).
as a reference, they are a bit shorter than the Abus Gamechanger (in M I am missing 3-5mm to be able to have it sitting on my entire head rather than just the front and rear).