THM tibia stem: which computer mount are you using?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elfuinha

by elfuinha

found this one - anyone has feedback on this one

https://framesandgear.com/thm-tibia-garmin-mount

looks identical to thestickybottle mount??? :?: :?: :?:

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello

Any news on this topic?

would like to ear feeddback on Carbonworks V2 and the one on the site above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnrho

by johnrho

elfuinha wrote:found this one - anyone has feedback on this one

Don’t bother with the Frames & Gear mount - it is literally a waste of money and time. It will not hold a computer and slides down.

Given how much a computer and GoPro is, I don’t care if it’s light - having a solid mount is priority for me. I’m getting Martyn @ Raceware creating a 3D printed base that fills the entire slot in the faceplate with a threaded nut in the middle. I use a Rec-Mount mount that allows me to swap between a SRM and Garmin mount type.

I’ve been DMing Rides of Japan on his choice of the CarbonWorks mount and it’s solid for for him - the only problem for me is that it can’t hold the weight of a computer and GoPro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello

Since there is no viable stem version of a Computer mount for the THM Tibia Stem, i'm using the K-edge Max XL version (XL needed to clear the from plate of the Stem), with a Karoo 2 3D printed mount in PLE, and i've no worries about my computer and where it endup riding all types of roads.

Also i can use a Magicshine light below or a Gopro... etc...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I am using carbon works with the two holders behind the faceplate and two screws. Seems to work ok for now.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

With this no problems at all.
Attachments
20220315_141517.jpg
20220315_141506.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The k edge is solid. But not as clean as the stem mpunt

elfuinha

by elfuinha

mike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:19 pm
The k edge is solid. But not as clean as the stem mpunt
The computer will be lower on the K-edge, than the Stem mount.

on my picture is missing the Spurcyclebell... that was removed.

But yes, stem is cleaner ... but it not worry free... so not ok for me... if i used a garmin 830 or something on that weight i would consider the stem mount.

kode54

by kode54

johnrho wrote:
elfuinha wrote:found this one - anyone has feedback on this one

Don’t bother with the Frames & Gear mount - it is literally a waste of money and time. It will not hold a computer and slides down.

Given how much a computer and GoPro is, I don’t care if it’s light - having a solid mount is priority for me. I’m getting Martyn @ Raceware creating a 3D printed base that fills the entire slot in the faceplate with a threaded nut in the middle. I use a Rec-Mount mount that allows me to swap between a SRM and Garmin mount type.

I’ve been DMing Rides of Japan on his choice of the CarbonWorks mount and it’s solid for for him - the only problem for me is that it can’t hold the weight of a computer and GoPro.

Not sure if you know, but there’s a newer version of the CarbonWorks mount. First gen had one screw holding it onto the front faceplate. Anything beyond a Garmin 530, the mount would slip based on outward weight over time. The 2nd gen version has 2-bolts to secure the mount and stays in position. And if you’re worried that will slip when in the road or gravel, you can further secure it by fabricating a small piece under the slot if the faceplate so it won’t slide down any further.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

johnrho

by johnrho

kode54 wrote: Not sure if you know, but there’s a newer version of the CarbonWorks mount. First gen had one screw holding it onto the front faceplate. Anything beyond a Garmin 530, the mount would slip based on outward weight over time. The 2nd gen version has 2-bolts to secure the mount and stays in position. And if you’re worried that will slip when in the road or gravel, you can further secure it by fabricating a small piece under the slot if the faceplate so it won’t slide down any further.
Yes I know and that’s what Rides of Japan is using. It’s also what the Frames&Gear is designed after.

The requirements for the mount for me are it must hold a Garmin 1030+/Karoo 2 and a GoPro. The third requirement which is a nice to have is the ability for me to swap between a Garmin 1030+ and a SRM PC8 - the only mount that allowed me to do this on my Venge stem was the Rec-Mount.

I’d use the stock Venge mount but the t-nut doesn’t sit flush in the faceplate and will put stress/pressure against the handlebar even if I could get the faceplate back on the stem.

The ‘official’ mount that THM recommends is the Barfly Race Mount but that m4 mounting bolt is super thin and really doesn’t satisfy requirement #2.

So I’ve been working with Raceware/Martyn to come up with a solution.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

johnrho wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:55 pm
kode54 wrote: Not sure if you know, but there’s a newer version of the CarbonWorks mount. First gen had one screw holding it onto the front faceplate. Anything beyond a Garmin 530, the mount would slip based on outward weight over time. The 2nd gen version has 2-bolts to secure the mount and stays in position. And if you’re worried that will slip when in the road or gravel, you can further secure it by fabricating a small piece under the slot if the faceplate so it won’t slide down any further.
Yes I know and that’s what Rides of Japan is using. It’s also what the Frames&Gear is designed after.

The requirements for the mount for me are it must hold a Garmin 1030+/Karoo 2 and a GoPro. The third requirement which is a nice to have is the ability for me to swap between a Garmin 1030+ and a SRM PC8 - the only mount that allowed me to do this on my Venge stem was the Rec-Mount.

I’d use the stock Venge mount but the t-nut doesn’t sit flush in the faceplate and will put stress/pressure against the handlebar even if I could get the faceplate back on the stem.

The ‘official’ mount that THM recommends is the Barfly Race Mount but that m4 mounting bolt is super thin and really doesn’t satisfy requirement #2.

So I’ve been working with Raceware/Martyn to come up with a solution.

Did you have any success with this?

My experience with the carbon works mounts has been mixed. Oddly the first version with some loctite for encouragement was a lot better than the second version. Which seems to work it's way loose over time. For me the fixing area is way too small to comfortably secure a larger computer or computer plus GoPro etc.

I'm actually contemplating just getting a standard race ware handlebar mount for peace of mind. But I'd be interested to know if they've made a THM specific mount. I agree with you. Because of the design of the faceplate and the limited clamping area behind it. I think really you need to fill the whole void to avoid the mount from slipping over time.

johnrho

by johnrho

Yeah I got Martyn to custom make a piece that fills the entire slot.
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 485 times
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg
I use the rec-mount mount to give me angle adjustment since its only one threaded hole that’s fixed in the faceplate.

Attachments
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 485 times
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 485 times

elfuinha

by elfuinha

johnrho wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:17 pm
Yeah I got Martyn to custom make a piece that fills the entire slot.

IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg

I use the rec-mount mount to give me angle adjustment since its only one threaded hole that’s fixed in the faceplate.

looks Great, but i would like to see the computer lower facing the stem...

looks like ALPITUDE will have news regarding this stem.

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I have the Carbonworks V2 on my 90mm THM Tibia. Not sure if the length of the stem has an effect on the hold but it might. When I mounted it first I didnt wait the appropriate time length for the locktight to cure before mounting to the stem and it came loose over time. I then followed the directions to the letter to reinstall and its solid and never comes loose and I use a garmin 1030 plus. I contacted Alpitude over a year ago and they replied with the same standard reply that they are in the works with a mount for the Tibia. I just dont see this as a high priority for them givin the pricepoint of the Tibia in the market and availability....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

SystmSix wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:21 pm
I have the Carbonworks V2 on my 90mm THM Tibia. Not sure if the length of the stem has an effect on the hold but it might. When I mounted it first I didnt wait the appropriate time length for the locktight to cure before mounting to the stem and it came loose over time. I then followed the directions to the letter to reinstall and its solid and never comes loose and I use a garmin 1030 plus. I contacted Alpitude over a year ago and they replied with the same standard reply that they are in the works with a mount for the Tibia. I just dont see this as a high priority for them givin the pricepoint of the Tibia in the market and availability....
we will see next week if something comes out...