Scott Addict Disc 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jayjay

by jayjay

It is time to change the headset bearings and I would really like to switch to CeramicSpeed SLT bearings.

The measurements I got from the Scott service:
Material: stainless steel, plastic
Type: fully integrated
Steerer: 1 1/4"- 1.5" tapered (with Compression Ring)
SHIS upper part: IS52 / 31,8 (with compression ring)
SHIS lower part: IS52 / 40
Press-in size above ø: -
Press-in depth above: -
Press-in size below ø: -
Offset below: -
Outer diameter (bearing) top: 52mm
Outer diameter (bearing) bottom: 52mm
Overall height (only bearings) above: 8mm
Overall height (only bearings) below: 8mm
Bearing seat: 45°/ 45°
bearing: Industrial bearing, double sealed Color: gold, compression ring black

I guess for the lower part I need this bearing size: 40x52x8mm 45*/45°
What about the upper part? "31,8 (with compression ring)"?! What size is it without the compression ring?

jayjay

by jayjay

Anybody who can help?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lightklein2

by lightklein2

They are both the same, 40x52x8mm 45*/45°. The exact outher diamter is 51.9mm.

jayjay

by jayjay

lightklein2 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:05 pm
They are both the same, 40x52x8mm 45*/45°. The exact outher diamter is 51.9mm.
I'm confused (but I have no clue about bearings). Why is it called 52 when the exact outher diameter is 51,9mm?

So these would fit?!
https://ceramicspeed.com/en-eu/products ... x8mm-45-45

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Note that my bike is not an Addict RC but as far as I can tell the current gen Addict RC, Addict, Addict gravel, and Solace Eride all use the same headset just with different spacers to adapt to whatever syncros stem / barstem combo came stock on your bike. The Addict RC manual specifically calls out Syncros #275466 which I do not see on the Scott or Syncros websites where my info below is for Syncros #288249 for: "Scott Addict family MY22". Westbrookcycles on their out of stock Syncros #275466 link says: "This headset is no longer available. For replacement bearings, use 288249".
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/heads ... s5240-2503
https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/prod ... 42-headset
https://r2-bike.com/SYNCROS-Head-Set-ta ... lyear-2022

For my headset (Syncros #288249): The top bearing is IS52/42 which is 42x52x7mm (dimensions measured from my bearing are 41.96/51.92/6.95) 45°/45 which is then shimmed down to the steerer tube diameter which is clamed to be 31.8mm / 1-1/4inch. Ceramic speed has a 98,74 € part that weighs 25.5g. For comparison the stock bearing for me is 26.45 so for 98,74 € you save 1.05g. Personally I wouldn't recommend buying this part due to high cost per g and no performance benefit.

The older Syncros #275466 seems to use a 40x52mm 45°/45 (unknown height) with a different cable routing shim to get to 31.8 so if your bike has Syncros #275466 a swap to a 40x52mm 45°/45 would likely work too but I don't have the older headset so I can't confirm. Therefore if you have the older headset you would likely need the new headset shim to fit a 42x52x7mm 45°/45 bearing.

Top bearing from my bike:
Stock top.jpg
The bottom bearing is IS52/40 which is 40x52x7mm (dimensions measured from my bearing are 39.72/51.97/6.94) 45°/45. Ceramic speed has a 98,74 € part that weighs 31.1g. For comparison the stock bearing for me is 31.51 so for 98,74 € you save 0.41g. The best that I found is AER bearing that is 40x52x7mm 45°/45 I purchaced mine around 6 months ago from bike24 for 18,48 € (part number CCR313347 @ bike24) but the part is no longer in stock and AER II bearings are hard to find part numbers for and are hard to find in stock. The stock bearing is 31.51g and the AER II is 23.95 for me so a savings of 7.56g.
Bottom.png
Going by Scott/Sycros photos you should be able to tell which headset you have by checking if the routing shim is solid (#275466 left) or is not solid (#288249 right). Sorry about the compression but thats the best pic I could find without taking my headset apart.
Headset shim.png
If you are swapping headset parts I would recommend buying the new headset #288249 and sourcing a lower AER II bearing if you can find it. The AER II bearing has more rotational friction which I actually prefer as it doesnt impact steering while riding but does help prevent the bars whipping around when handling the bike when not on it.

Edit: for completeness the newer headset (Syncros #288249) 42mm to 31.8mm shim is shown below. This includes a 1.99g metal shim that fits on the bearing top for #288249 that I cant tell if it is required or not. As far as I can tell the metal shim takes up the 45°cut in the bearing to give a better fit to the plastic shim. Strangely in the #275466 renders this spacer is not under the shim which to me makes no sense but I don't have this older headset so I can't check the deployment, design intent, and weight. Also protocol_droid reported not seeing the metal shim on his frame in this thread.
shim.PNG
edited to fix some wrong info and add more clarity.

Shiny

by Shiny

Just want to mention, the Addict RC needs the #275466 as these bearings have a different chamfer than the #288249 for the Addict/Addict Gravel. They will work, however you will end up with a visibly bigger gap between Fork/Headtube/Spacer.
Same result with the Ceramic Speed bearings

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

bobo100 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:27 am
I've got a new frameset. I should received a Scott Addict Rc PRO (2022) but I received Addict RC PRO Team Edition. It is exactly the same frame as team DSM team has. My previous one (Addict RC 10) was lighter (39g less). The fork weights exactly the same after. It was a warranty replacement.

I was thinking that the team frame would be even lighter than the normal one. What are you thinking about that? Is that because there is more carbon fibres there? Is it more stiff?
After really deep inspection I see that the paint is subtle. You can easily see the layers under the coating which looks great. In some area of course, not everywhere.

I look forward to your opinions.
How do you like the frame and or paintjob now?

bobo100

by bobo100

The bike is perfect. Painting is the for me from all variant of the Addict's ;) Right now any more trouble :)
Eterna7m wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 pm
bobo100 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:27 am
I've got a new frameset. I should received a Scott Addict Rc PRO (2022) but I received Addict RC PRO Team Edition. It is exactly the same frame as team DSM team has. My previous one (Addict RC 10) was lighter (39g less). The fork weights exactly the same after. It was a warranty replacement.

I was thinking that the team frame would be even lighter than the normal one. What are you thinking about that? Is that because there is more carbon fibres there? Is it more stiff?
After really deep inspection I see that the paint is subtle. You can easily see the layers under the coating which looks great. In some area of course, not everywhere.

I look forward to your opinions.
How do you like the frame and or paintjob now?

Agent041

by Agent041

Have already asked in Farsport F1 integrated handlebar/stem section, but will also ask here.

Does anyone know, if Farsport F1 integrated handlebar/stem is compatible with the Scott Addict? I am especially interested in Addict Gravel 30 ( mechanical, but later probably go to 105 Di2)), and as far as I know, it has the same system (for Creston IC). Was looking for previous model F1.

And do you guys think if it is suitable for a gravel bike? Will be riding mostly road but still also on gravel.

Maybe some other sugestions regarding the handlebar? Dores not have to be with integrated stem. And I am also not an aero guy. More a climbing guy. So stifness and weight (when standing pedalling) is everithing to me.

HBike

by HBike

Agent041 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:04 pm
Have already asked in Farsport F1 integrated handlebar/stem section, but will also ask here.

Does anyone know, if Farsport F1 integrated handlebar/stem is compatible with the Scott Addict? I am especially interested in Addict Gravel 30 ( mechanical, but later probably go to 105 Di2)), and as far as I know, it has the same system (for Creston IC). Was looking for previous model F1.

And do you guys think if it is suitable for a gravel bike? Will be riding mostly road but still also on gravel.

Maybe some other sugestions regarding the handlebar? Dores not have to be with integrated stem. And I am also not an aero guy. More a climbing guy. So stifness and weight (when standing pedalling) is everithing to me.
Yes, works. They have a specific spacer. Examples can be found online, e.g.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=64 ... 5975999902

I prefer the Syncros Creston IC SL or X integrated cockpit. Nice and light.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

I'm thinking the Addict RC is due an update some time soon. pretty sure the Foil has been updated twice since the Addict RC was released. Any hints on the 2024 model?
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Agent041 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:04 pm

The Farsports F1 family will work on the Addict as it is OD2. The initial F1 is difficult to route mechanical shifting with which was helped in the F1s. The F1x is new but seems to be a lighter version of the F1s.

For OD2 I prefer the EXS Aerover. I think it matches the look of the scott bikes better than the F1 and even the Syncros barstems that use caps to cover the magnetic stem rear cover. Regardless of version the F1 has a normal top cap which doesn't look as good as the Syncros or EXS. Also both the EXS Aerover and the F1 have an extra 2cm flare in the drops which will be useful for gravel compared to the Syncros.

Note that I am biased though as I have an EXS Aerover on my Solace eRide so I'll let the marketing photos for each bar do the talking.

EXS Aerover:
Scott Zoom0.jpg
Syncros:
syncros.png
F1:
f1.png

Agent041

by Agent041

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:26 pm
The Farsports F1 family will work on the Addict as it is OD2. The initial F1 is difficult to route mechanical shifting with which was helped in the F1s. The F1x is new but seems to be a lighter version of the F1s.

For OD2 I prefer the EXS Aerover. I think it matches the look of the scott bikes better than the F1 and even the Syncros barstems that use caps to cover the magnetic stem rear cover. Regardless of version the F1 has a normal top cap which doesn't look as good as the Syncros or EXS. Also both the EXS Aerover and the F1 have an extra 2cm flare in the drops which will be useful for gravel compared to the Syncros.

Note that I am biased though as I have an EXS Aerover on my Solace eRide so I'll let the marketing photos for each bar do the talking.
Thank. Yours EXS Aerover looks great. I see on there site, that max width is 400mm (at least currently), so probably a no-go, as I want bigger size. Would also like the drops to be even wider, especially as I ride steeps hill a lot, and standing pedaling then makes me bump into handlebar drops. But do not want wide as standard gravel handlebar (like creston X).

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:03 am
I want bigger size. Would also like the drops to be even wider, especially as I ride steeps hill a lot, and standing pedaling then makes me bump into handlebar drops. But do not want wide as standard gravel handlebar (like creston X).
For sizes 420 or wider with an OD2 Scott bike you can go:

F1s: Up to 420mm wide top with a flare so around 440mm wide drops.

SYNCROS Creston iC SL: Up to 440mm wide top with no flare.

SYNCROS Creston iC SL X: Up to 440mm wide top with 16 degree flare.

SYNCROS RR 1.5 or 2.0 Stem & any handlebar you want. With 1.5 you can route internally if the handlebar has a cable exit point in the middle of the bars where the stem clamps on.

I'm not sure how wide you want tops vs drops to be but if going 2 parts then something to consider is the enve aero handlebar which is a good compromise of aero road riding but good flare for clearance and gravel control which should work with the internal cable routing of the SYNCROS RR 1.5 stem for integrated cables. However it might not be wide enough for what you want so you might need to go with a mid sized gravel bar.
enve.png
The EXS R175 is out in China but not posted on their website yet and goes up to 420mm wide tops with 440mm drops.
exs r175.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Agent041

by Agent041

OtterSpace wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:04 pm
For sizes 420 or wider with an OD2 Scott bike you can go:

F1s: Up to 420mm wide top with a flare so around 440mm wide drops.

SYNCROS Creston iC SL: Up to 440mm wide top with no flare.

SYNCROS Creston iC SL X: Up to 440mm wide top with 16 degree flare.

SYNCROS RR 1.5 or 2.0 Stem & any handlebar you want. With 1.5 you can route internally if the handlebar has a cable exit point in the middle of the bars where the stem clamps on.

I'm not sure how wide you want tops vs drops to be but if going 2 parts then something to consider is the enve aero handlebar which is a good compromise of aero road riding but good flare for clearance and gravel control which should work with the internal cable routing of the SYNCROS RR 1.5 stem for integrated cables. However it might not be wide enough for what you want so you might need to go with a mid sized gravel bar.
Thank for the info. You have been most helpful. Regarding the width on top would be superb 44cm (center to center), but 42cm minimum. And drops is 46-50cm would be super. So slightly flarred. And I do not care for aero, and not so much for all integragrated and one-piece stem/handlebar. The handlebar can also be round.

Also what is important to me is that the reach would not be very big. So 70-75mm (or lower) is ideal for me. I ride short steep hills, and climb out of the saddle much and know to bumb with my knees into handlebar. So long stem and short handlebar reach is for me. And therefore also not very for aero handlebar, as it goes back to my knees again :) And the handlebars do not even have to be flared, if the handlebar drops are not very long. If long and not flared I also bumb with my legs when standing pedaling.

Currently there are Creston 2.0 stem as well as Creston 2..0 X handlebar. For which I must say is ugly. I have size L Addict Gravel and 110mm stem. But these handlebars are about 40cm (center-to-center) on the hoods, and about 52cm on drops. Pretty ugly. To much flare for my taste. Addict Gravel will mostly be riden on roads (and as winter bike). And I do not even decend on drops, so the extra extra flare is not usefull to me.

Any ideas for the new handlebar. Maybe separate round handlebar that comes to mind?
The stems are probably then also more tricky to get, as it has to be matched with Addict spacers and internal routing of cables.