Scott Addict Disc 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Why does most new bikes look the same i ask? It's quite boring. Soon it's only down to geometry.
i agree.. they are all starting to look the same. dropped seat stays, etc... almost look like open mold with slight tweaks. but i'd be interested to test ride the new addict rim brake. must be a big step up in stiffness and improvement over my old R1. :)

seaneT1

by seaneT1

"they all look the same"...compared to what??? identical steel, aluminium and carbon frames that we were used to some years ago???? I higly doubt that we ever had so much variety in bike frames ever before, FFS!!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Why does most new bikes look the same i ask? It's quite boring. Soon it's only down to geometry.
i agree.. they are all starting to look the same. dropped seat stays, etc... almost look like open mold with slight tweaks. but i'd be interested to test ride the new addict rim brake. must be a big step up in stiffness and improvement over my old R1. :)
New Addict 2020 only Disc brake...no rim brake version

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

seaneT1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm
"they all look the same"...compared to what??? identical steel, aluminium and carbon frames that we were used to some years ago???? I higly doubt that we ever had so much variety in bike frames ever before, FFS!!!!!!

+1

Valy

by Valy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
seaneT1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm

+1
I agree but the other side is the different tube profiles and gimmicks that used to separate frames visually. Now the new frames look extremely similar, in some ways more so than before. Take cars for example - basically shaped by air now and if you look carefully, again extremely similar across all brands, save a few tweaks here and there. The differences might be more subtle now you can say, or the bikes looks more similar.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Valy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm
I agree but the other side is the different tube profiles and gimmicks that used to separate frames visually. Now the new frames look extremely similar, in some ways more so than before.
There are far, far, far more drastic and widespread differences in tube shapes now than there has ever been before in the entire history of the cycling industry.

Like, If you want to see frames that are seperated by visual gimmicks this is honestly the freakin' golden age of bike design for you.

robeambro

by robeambro

https://gizmodo.com/100-years-of-tour-d ... -709973821

Bikes have not changed -aesthetically speaking- for decades. Looking at those pictures, distinguishing frame tubes of a '60s and 80's frame is something not immediate Get a 2013 frame and put it next to a current generation frame, and it will immediately look out of date. Designs are changing faster than ever.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Ritxis wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 pm
New Addict 2020 only Disc brake...no rim brake version
That's a bummer.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am
https://gizmodo.com/100-years-of-tour-d ... -709973821

Bikes have not changed -aesthetically speaking- for decades. Looking at those pictures, distinguishing frame tubes of a '60s and 80's frame is something not immediate Get a 2013 frame and put it next to a current generation frame, and it will immediately look out of date. Designs are changing faster than ever.
Yeah, I posted that link in the SuperSix thread wrt the "all bikes look alike" now B.S. that everyone's been spouting. Chalk it up to the natural tendencies of human memory - first impressions and introductions to new points of knowledge are always the most resilient since they create the synapse of which all later interactions are formed. Since widespread dropped seatstays, d-shaped seatposts, integrated handlebars and kamm tails on everyday road race bikes is a very recent phenomenon people can't help but key on those design elements.

That being said the Scott silhoutte is just about the nicest out there right now though would love to see how it compares to the new SuperSix

Valy

by Valy

Karvalo wrote:
Valy wrote:
I agree but the other side is the different tube profiles and gimmicks that used to separate frames visually. Now the new frames look extremely similar, in some ways more so than before.
There are far, far, far more drastic and widespread differences in tube shapes now than there has ever been before in the entire history of the cycling industry.

Like, If you want to see frames that are seperated by visual gimmicks this is honestly the freakin' golden age of bike design for you.
Another way to say it is the frame silhouettes are now similar across many brands, although "tube shapes" might be different. It just depends how close you want to look at it..

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Valy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:14 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Valy wrote:

Another way to say it is the frame silhouettes are now similar across many brands, although "tube shapes" might be different. It just depends how close you want to look at it..
That is actually the opposite of what you just said though!

And again, if different frame silhouettes is what floats your boat, this is still the golden age of bike design for you. There have never been so many completely different mainstream options.

Valy

by Valy

Heh, yes. I just did not write clearly enough. For me the similarities in silhouettes are quite pronounced. I agree there are a lot of varying tube shapes and silhouettes on the market today. I think when I refer to this "similarity" it's with respect to the big name flagship models. The datum of high end bikes if you will.

It's further highlighted by the sudden and "independent" shift across brands to the new silhouette - dropped stays, slender forks etc. On some level I think when people say "they look the same" that's partially what they mean.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Valy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 pm
Heh, yes. I just did not write clearly enough. For me the similarities in silhouettes are quite pronounced. I agree there are a lot of varying tube shapes and silhouettes on the market today.
But the point you were initially responding to remains the same - bike silhouttes were always incredibly similar, and much more so than they are today.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

smartyiak wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm
That's a bummer.
Not really. Just one company’s loss of experienced cyclists/non-newbie that sees disc brakes for the silly sales gimmick they are. Another thing, it’s odd one hear “disc” on a WW forum considering they add plenty of weight to the group, the frame and the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Gimmick :roll: