S-Works Roubaix 2019 (2020) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Does anyone know if the direct mount rear hanger for the venge / tarmac is compatible with the 2020 roubaix?

Part number S182600003

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Yes it is.

justonwo

by justonwo

I like FutureShock ok. I’m mostly ok when the roads are rough and don’t feel like I have to have some kind of damping, but it’s nice to have it when I want it. Usually, though, I keep it locked out. I don’t like that Specialized has to service it. I’ve had no end to the headaches with my Brain unit on my Epic. I’m on my 3rd Brain and the bike doesn’t even have 400 miles on it yet.

After 20 years of near-exclusivity with Specialized and multiple S-Works, I’m starting to move away from them. I really don’t like proprietary stuff that has to be sent in for service, and they aren’t the fastest on turnaround. Their direct-to-customer service is pretty meh as well. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great.

Still, my 2020 Roubaix has been reliable - apart for the issues with my SRAM drivetrain.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

justonwo wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:05 am
I like FutureShock ok. I’m mostly ok when the roads are rough and don’t feel like I have to have some kind of damping, but it’s nice to have it when I want it. Usually, though, I keep it locked out. I don’t like that Specialized has to service it. I’ve had no end to the headaches with my Brain unit on my Epic. I’m on my 3rd Brain and the bike doesn’t even have 400 miles on it yet.

After 20 years of near-exclusivity with Specialized and multiple S-Works, I’m starting to move away from them. I really don’t like proprietary stuff that has to be sent in for service, and they aren’t the fastest on turnaround. Their direct-to-customer service is pretty meh as well. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great.

Still, my 2020 Roubaix has been reliable - apart for the issues with my SRAM drivetrain.
What bikes out there, doing similar things, don't have proprietary stuff? With the last few years, we've seen essentially all of the manufacturers move toward proprietary parts with special stems, bars, seatposts, etc... that's just the nature of the beast.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 pm
justonwo wrote:

What bikes out there, doing similar things, don't have proprietary stuff? With the last few years, we've seen essentially all of the manufacturers move toward proprietary parts with special stems, bars, seatposts, etc... that's just the nature of the beast.
Well, there are not that many proprietary parts you need to use on a Roubaix. On my Roubaix Team Edition I have a custom seatpost, a standard 3rd party stem and a standard 3rd party handlebar. It's not that bad, IMO.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

justonwo

by justonwo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 pm
justonwo wrote:

For sure. The difference here is that the parts need to be serviced and only Specialized can do the service. So it means a couple of weeks of downtime every service.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Yea.. but that's not anything new, really... Lefty forks from cannondale have only been serviceable by Cannondale for like 10+ years I think... at least that's what I've been told.

I certainly understand the frustration, I just don't really think it is anything specific to Specialized. So many of the bikes within the last year or so have moved to proprietary setups... so you can't swap stems, bars, etc. That's across most brands.. Scott, Cannondale, BMC etc.

For sure this generation of Roubaix allows for universal things, but the next one probably won't, if it follows the lead of the Venge and tarmac.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I've completely disassembled the futureshock 1.0 in my 2017 s works Roubaix. The overall design is very good with secondary safety redetection build in. It would take multiple internal failures for it to separate the stem from the fork. Maintenance consists of cleaning a well sealed system and relubing. As things wear out, it is imposable to adjust for play and should wear out as a system. Overall complexity and robustness of design are very good.

With that said, it’s complete bullshit that newer versions are not available and that Specialized locks all parts/service for the propriety part away from the end customer. Version 2.0 is much more complex and will need more service/attention. Having rebuild kits and parts available should be mandatory, but of course it’s not and even the techs at the shop don’t have access.

Anyway you will have to pry the futureshock from my cold dead hands. It’s that good at increasing my ride comfort and descending control. Having a previous wrist injuries makes me sensitive to the beat up roads where I live.
Ride fast Take chances

justonwo

by justonwo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:58 pm
Yea.. but that's not anything new, really... Lefty forks from cannondale have only been serviceable by Cannondale for like 10+ years I think... at least that's what I've been told.

I certainly understand the frustration, I just don't really think it is anything specific to Specialized. So many of the bikes within the last year or so have moved to proprietary setups... so you can't swap stems, bars, etc. That's across most brands.. Scott, Cannondale, BMC etc.

For sure this generation of Roubaix allows for universal things, but the next one probably won't, if it follows the lead of the Venge and tarmac.
It's not a huge deal if it's really only once a year or so. The situation with the Epic has been a bit frustrating with three failed Brain dampers, but I've been riding Specialized bikes for many years. They make great road bikes, no doubt. I was pretty happy with the damping on the 2014 Roubaix I had and don't feel like I need the FutureShock for most applications. I was more drawn to the improved aerodynamics and, of course, disc brakes. It's a great bike.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Beancouter

by Beancouter

1swiftvelo wrote:Here’s the part number.
This is the 2.0 not the 1.5 it says on the bag. The part number is the one from the S Works frameset.
It comes with the dial for the top and shim to use regular stem. That’s all.
Depending on the shop Retail is probably $500. Considered the old ones were $300 and this has a 500 hour life.
Jusy to confirm, Does the part number quotes come with everything to upgrade frkm 1.5 to 2.0?

Just ordered it but thought I had better check!!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Not the sexiest bit of kit I have ever bought and eye wateringly expensive!!!

Also, not going to help the total build weight. Future Shock 2.0 at 351g

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Deleted

Beancouter

by Beancouter

7.22kg with a bit more weight to come off with new wheels and a few tweaks. Should be very close to 7kg.

Paint looks amazing - photos don’t do it justice

InconnuGlitterBoy

by InconnuGlitterBoy

Nice pictures! Love it.

The bottle cages, are they CarbonWorks? How are they to the bottles? I have some lightweight ones from Tune, but they scratch the bottles (Elite Fly) heavily.

Did you build the bike yourself?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

InconnuGlitterBoy wrote:Nice pictures! Love it.

The bottle cages, are they CarbonWorks? How are they to the bottles? I have some lightweight ones from Tune, but they scratch the bottles (Elite Fly) heavily.

Did you build the bike yourself?
Started out life as a comp Sagan edition which I stripped down to just the frameset, stem and seatpost. Added Di2 and wheels from my previous bike (Addict RC) and then bought the other bits and pieces to finish it off, including the FutureShock 2.0 unit.

Almost got caught out on availability of the key Di2 frame small parts, but managed to source some from Germany.

Whilst it’s not an s-works Frame, it is pretty much the same as the top of the range Sagan limited edition.

Only ridden around the block so far .... out at 7 tomorrow morning to find out whether I like it!!