Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

matcav wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:41 pm
Cemicar wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:59 pm
the current one also has several bad attributes that turn off users.
not sure. I have the impression the current SSevo iteration got perhaps too much (undeserved) bad rap. Of course, I can be biased (I have one) but:
870gr for a full painted frame (HM; ie a Sworks SL7 can go up to 930gr)
219w aero drag with OEM, 45mm wheelset (according to TourMagazin; SL7 gets 210, 4.11% better)

Steering limiters do not look great but never had an issue while riding. metal plates solved the delamination risk.
Never heard of issues with the Thu-axle holes.
PF30 is still the stiffer & lighter BB option around. It needs low tolerances to be fitted properly, but it doesn't mean deserves hate.
The heavy handlebars can be easily substituted with an aftersale option like many did here.
Moreover, isn't crazy expensive to get the bike with the top-tier frame and do your own upgrades from there.

QA wise obviously it doesn't come off the best production process ever - but we talk a lot about a few crap frames/cases while tons of others are out there riding with no issues at all.

Won't go listing all the good things I noticed riding it for about 3yrs (superb handling, great stiffness & responsiveness, etc) also because it can be influenced by my very own setup (54, 404FC, 0deg seatpost, -13deg stem) but with all the small defects (no bike is perfect, in the end) I'm still in love with this bike.
'20 and '21 also had massive numbers of failures in the seatpost clamp area. They appear to have mostly died out for MY22.

'20 didn't work properly with SRAM 12s cassettes ... despite them selling it with SRAM 12s and advertising it as working.

It was one of the most cursed frames in recent memory, and yet it sold very well in '20 and '21 ... I saw way fewer orders placed for '22 (probably due to all the warranties retailers had to deal with) and have seen precisely zero MY22s out on the road ...

chompychomps

by chompychomps

Seems like the '21 model of the SSE has solved the self destructing headset issue?

I'm planning to get a Rapha team replica hi mod frame to replace my Pinarello F12, but i'm having difficulty finding anything in size 51.
Also, I see there are some models that are labelled as MY22 and the latest green/black fade one as MY23. Not sure if anyone knows the difference between these few years?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

RDY wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:14 pm
'20 and '21 also had massive numbers of failures in the seatpost clamp area. They appear to have mostly died out for MY22.

'20 didn't work properly with SRAM 12s cassettes ... despite them selling it with SRAM 12s and advertising it as working.

It was one of the most cursed frames in recent memory, and yet it sold very well in '20 and '21 ... I saw way fewer orders placed for '22 (probably due to all the warranties retailers had to deal with) and have seen precisely zero MY22s out on the road ...
Dale bought out a slightly revised seat clamp mechanism around end of 21, the original version was well known to have creaking or slipping issues. Though that's sadly not unusal with the integated designs.

I like my Evo a lot, light frame that handles very nicely. But think Dale scored some surprising own goals with the self destructing head tube, crappy seat post clamp and ongoing inability to hit PF tolerances. All solvable but all avoidable in the first place.

Annecodatally lots of people in my club won't buy Dale now as they are perceived to be particularly poor with PF tolerances.

matcav

by matcav

Stueys wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:48 am
Annecodatally lots of people in my club won't buy Dale now as they are perceived to be particularly poor with PF tolerances.
Interesting to see Hambini listing "newish Cannondales" above the line:
https://youtu.be/RPks4bSHYGU?t=545

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

:twisted: Anyone seen a pic of Carapaz riding Cannondale bike recently?
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Spinnekop wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:50 am
:twisted: Anyone seen a pic of Carapaz riding Cannondale bike recently?
If you have it post it.

RDY

by RDY

matcav wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:57 am
Stueys wrote:
MY22s of all their bikes have looked ok, the few that I've seen. Problem for them may be that the reputation for serious problems will be difficult to shake now. And they haven't had the same kind of brand disciples as the other big brands since the 90s. They seem to be putting a lot of push behind their e-bike range, and cancelled quite a few minor sponsorships of influencers for road / gravel / MTB. And if leaked prices for the new SSE are correct, it could be a hard sell ... 6-7k road frame market is getting pretty crowded.

C36

by C36

matcav wrote:
Stueys wrote:
Hambini factor aside, I am not surprise a bit. First the frames were incredibly well made from at least the evo2 (from carbon manufacturing standpoint). The number of BB problems has dropped by a lot.

With a LBS I am closed to we put a simple protocol to “test” the Bbs.
- measure the diameters to detect over or under sized.
- install the crankset without preload and check how it spins to detect misalignment (I think he also does it only with a single crank and check if balances nicely). If there is an important misalignment, the bearings do not spin freely.
For the last 2-3 years the amount of problems dropped by a lot (still exist but way way less).

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

I have always fancied a Supersix but some of the issues put me off. Do we know if they have made tweaks to them over the past year or so, my local shop has a 2022 model in. And I wondered if they still had the issue with the frame stops or if they have been improved?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

daninplymouth wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:50 am
I have always fancied a Supersix but some of the issues put me off. Do we know if they have made tweaks to them over the past year or so, my local shop has a 2022 model in. And I wondered if they still had the issue with the frame stops or if they have been improved?
It's been fixed. There's a metal insert now.

gigo91

by gigo91

Hi, question to all S6 di2 or etap riders:
Should there be a plug or anything with the frameset to close the hole for the mechanical front derraileur?
Does anybody know the part number?
Screenshot 2022-10-25 073806.jpg
I want to ride a Sram etap on the frameset.

Thx!

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Just measure it and buy a plug from amazon or ebay.

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

gigo91 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:46 am
Hi, question to all S6 di2 or etap riders:
Should there be a plug or anything with the frameset to close the hole for the mechanical front derraileur?
Does anybody know the part number?
Screenshot 2022-10-25 073806.jpg

I want to ride a Sram etap on the frameset.

Thx!
I think Cannondale just use the mechanical cable guide. If you're not using it isn't the underside exposed?

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

cavecreekgoat wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:39 pm
JaimeC wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:37 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:06 pm
JaimeC wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:34 pm

Any idea at all on release date? I've been holding out for the updated Supersix and curious how much longer I need to wait.
2023 models are available. I see no difference at all. Color is nothing i would deem as a difference. It's just make up!
There have been rumors for a few months now that they are updating the frame this year, not just the color choices. Kittenridesbikes claims to have seen the updated version.
Just returned from my LBS, and they me showed what looked like an ordering page for a new Supersix EVO that is much more aero with down tube, seat tube and seat mast all more deeper/wider/aero. There were two colors for the EVO - all black and a black with a yellow fade on the fron third of the bike. They also mentioned that this could be Cannondale's light bike AND aero bike, potentially replacing the Supersix and Systemsix with this one bike. They were also told the new EVO will be lighter than the current model, as well as more aero. Also, there was a higher end/lighter version that was even lighter/more expensive. This lighter version would retail ~$6000 USD with the "regular" EVO (Hi-Mod?) at ~$4600 USD. Price for frameset only. I did NOT see this pricing myself, but this is what they expected.

I've been searching for more pics, etc but can't seem to find any. I'm am not saying everything I was told is correct, but would love to hear if others know more.
I've seen it too, with a new one-piece handlebar, it looks like an angular aero Supersix SE......

CamW

by CamW

Cannondale are definitely trying some new stuff with their forks. Funky shape and some innegra/kevlar type material as well.
Attachments
New Cannondale Fork.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com