Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C36

by C36

As mentioned above, PF shouldn’t have been a problem. Everywhere around you where you have bearings, they are pressfit, that’s engineering 101 (literally the first class in many technical careers).
But cycling industry delocalised and lost control on QC, Cervelo needing to be slapped very hard on the face by cheating increasing their official tolerances “after the fact” way beyond what engineering dictates.

Where I disagree with you
Stueys wrote:Cervelo seem to have started to shio their bikes with thread together BB's which achieves the same outcome. This removes most of the potential issues. Manufacturers are starting to go back towards threaded BB's as consumers have gotten frustrated and are now expressing a buying preference towards threaded to avoid the hassle.
A threaded BB is basically something with huge play so you can screw it and screws are not positioning devices. So you solve poor production tolerance that cause a problem by very wide tolerances that cause less problems but is still a so so engineering solution.

Stueys

by Stueys

C36 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Stueys wrote:Cervelo seem to have started to shio their bikes with thread together BB's which achieves the same outcome. This removes most of the potential issues. Manufacturers are starting to go back towards threaded BB's as consumers have gotten frustrated and are now expressing a buying preference towards threaded to avoid the hassle.
A threaded BB is basically something with huge play so you can screw it and screws are not positioning devices. So you solve poor production tolerance that cause a problem by very wide tolerances that cause less problems but is still a so so engineering solution.
We don't disagree, my preference would be a well made PF solution. But that seemingly appears hard to achieve consistently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ry5n

by ry5n

I've taken to putting a single piece BB into all my PF bikes
Speaking of which, anyone know which of those one-piece PF30A BBs are the lightest?

C36

by C36

Stueys wrote: We don't disagree, my preference would be a well made PF solution. But that seemingly appears hard to achieve consistently.
Image, I am just waiting to see marketing selling this as an Engineering improvement Image

Not sure how representative it is but we raced on caad6-7 and none had creaking BB. I would point more to QC than metallic frames over carbon (Asian-made Caads had their BB creaking).

RDY

by RDY

Stueys wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:11 pm
C36 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:03 pm
We don't disagree, my preference would be a well made PF solution. But that seemingly appears hard to achieve consistently.
It's consistently hard to achieve when the price they pay the manufacturer is so small, and they get away with it because the cycling press and circle of 'influencers' are generally even tamer and more sycophantic than exclusively Apple covering publications.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

C36 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:06 pm
Stueys wrote: We don't disagree, my preference would be a well made PF solution. But that seemingly appears hard to achieve consistently.
Image, I am just waiting to see marketing selling this as an Engineering improvement Image

Not sure how representative it is but we raced on caad6-7 and none had creaking BB. I would point more to QC than metallic frames over carbon (Asian-made Caads had their BB creaking).
I've not once had any issue with my CAAD 10 bb and I don't clean it or maintain it at all

cerro

by cerro

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:25 am
Surely you have some more pics to post, Image #tease

Basso Diamante eps 12
Is this better? :D 6,36kg
1.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yes hot damn!!!! But that's some heavy ass bar tape

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

canterbizzle wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:19 am
Does 8.18kg sound about right for a '21 High Mod 58cm with Zipp 302/ Zipp SL stem/ Zipp SL Bar/ speedplays?
Can't help without a build list. What you think might be "minor" parts could be adding a lot of weight. Saddles can easily be 100-300g. Tires and tubes 400-700g. Groupsets 1900-2800g. And so on.

8.19kg can sound about right with those parts but so can 7.19kg.

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

Stueys wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:11 pm
Cuypmeister wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:25 pm
What i am wondering: a lot of guys are complaining about the BB30 bottom bracket. What is the main reason? Has it something to do with the built of the SuperSix frame? Or is the quality of BB30 bottom brackets that Cannondale provides that is not sufficient enough? And that can be solved by for example purchasing ceramic bearrings?
There is nothing wrong with PF BB's if they are implemented as designed. The issue is that the PF design is heavily reliant on good manufacturing tolerances, otherwise you get tiny movement and instability which leads to knackered bearings and the dreaded creak. Anecdotally at least, Dale seem to have suffered more than most in a lack of ability to consistently hit good tolerances. So the issue isn't the quality of the bearings going in there, it's the supporting frame around those bearings and whether the bearings are being held perfectly aligned and without movement.

I've taken to putting a single piece BB into all my PF bikes when I get it (I use BBInfinite but lots of options available), Cervelo seem to have started to shio their bikes with thread together BB's which achieves the same outcome. This removes most of the potential issues. Manufacturers are starting to go back towards threaded BB's as consumers have gotten frustrated and are now expressing a buying preference towards threaded to avoid the hassle.
Thank you!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

cerro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:00 pm
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:25 am
Surely you have some more pics to post, Image #tease

Basso Diamante eps 12
Is this better? :D 6,36kg
1.jpg
That's stunning!

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

If the new SSE has a triangle shaped steerer, how would one be able to use any after market stem? Someone in this thread said you could use any stem with it and maybe I'm being a bit slow right now, but how would one do that?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If the triangle is smaller than a regular round steerer tube, maybe using a shim to make it round where the stem clamp?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Some type of shim

canterbizzle

by canterbizzle

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:30 am
canterbizzle wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:19 am
Does 8.18kg sound about right for a '21 High Mod 58cm with Zipp 302/ Zipp SL stem/ Zipp SL Bar/ speedplays?
Can't help without a build list. What you think might be "minor" parts could be adding a lot of weight. Saddles can easily be 100-300g. Tires and tubes 400-700g. Groupsets 1900-2800g. And so on.

8.19kg can sound about right with those parts but so can 7.19kg.
clearly wrote this in a haze - missed some vital points apologies

it's a mechanical ultegra
oem carbon non setback post
selle italia SLR flow 131mm
continental GP 5000

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com