Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Mep wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:11 pm
My guess is that they'll update the tube shapes for aerodynamics but keep everything else mostly the same, which is not too ground breaking considering we already have the R5 and Tarmac SL6. It's interesting because then Cannondale would lose their place as the lightest widely available frameset, in exchange for an updated but average climbing frameset. It just seems extremely unlikely that they would be able to make the frame +aero/-weight/-price than the SL6. That said, if they can achieve the trifecta, I'd be mighty impressed and would probably go out to buy one.

Otherwise, it would mark the end of an era. At least weight weenies can still look to Focus for hill climb builds.
I havent' been following the Tarmac weight progression. How much weight did they gain when they went semi-aero?

It doesn't seem like switching from a round downtube, seattube, and headtube to Kamm type truncated airfoils should add much weight, if any, if you do it by cutting off the back portion of the round profile. Improving airflow around the tube junctions and frame/fork junction is a bit of a different story, I suppose, but a more flowing interface actually provides more even stress distribution than the current relatively abrupt transitions from tube to tube, so depending on how much wiggle room they have they may simply be able to drop the wall thickness and spread it over a wider area. There are limits to that obviously, if things are getting so thin as to be intolerant of production variance or normal bumps, surface pressure, and handling.

ducman

by ducman

reedplayer wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 pm
Mep wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:11 pm
Otherwise, it would mark the end of an era. At least weight weenies can still look to Focus for hill climb builds.
regrettably not, because the "old" , light izalco max is although replaced by a heavier semi-aero-frame in 2019.
I just build an 2019 Izalco rim. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Yes, end of June.

Looks amazing, definitely worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mep

by Mep

TheKaiser wrote: I havent' been following the Tarmac weight progression. How much weight did they gain when they went semi-aero?

It doesn't seem like switching from a round downtube, seattube, and headtube to Kamm type truncated airfoils should add much weight, if any, if you do it by cutting off the back portion of the round profile. Improving airflow around the tube junctions and frame/fork junction is a bit of a different story, I suppose, but a more flowing interface actually provides more even stress distribution than the current relatively abrupt transitions from tube to tube, so depending on how much wiggle room they have they may simply be able to drop the wall thickness and spread it over a wider area. There are limits to that obviously, if things are getting so thin as to be intolerant of production variance or normal bumps, surface pressure, and handling.
The Tarmac SL6 was a complete redesign and actually became both lighter and more aero, which speaks to either how unoptimized the previous Tarmac was or the abilities of Peter Denk, who went over from Cannondale after having designed the SuperSix Evo. Changing the tube profiles does add weight unfortunately, it's not just cutting off the back and calling it a day. While we can't use the Tarmac as a benchmark, the new Focus Izalco Max (as reedplayer pointed out) comes in at +100g frame +60g fork, manufacturer claimed. Obviously based on their tests the new version comes in faster, the aerodynamics more than make up for the weight increase, etc.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Caad13 ???
cad13.jpg
In Alu
caad13.jpg

Déjà vu......copy of copy of copy?........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

by 573

That 'CAAD13' seems to have no welds. I'd say it's a carbon CAAD. :wink:

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Yeah the welds give it away, the grey one is definitely not a CAAD13.

The problem with dropped stays and rim brakes, awful rear brake cable routing.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

I really want to see a geometry chart for the CAAD13/SuperSix. I'm also not too excited about a proprietary seatpost, as finding a 0 setback seatpost was east and it helped me fit on the SuperSix I rode for a while.

Mep

by Mep

Pains me a little to see the exact same silhouette as just about every other manufacturer (dropped seatstays, Kammtail shapes), but guess they gotta do what they need to do to keep up. A geometry chart would be nice to have, but kinda doubt they'll make big changes to a proven setup. I'm still hoping that I'll somehow be proven wrong on my original guess, but those photos aren't trending in the right direction.

micky

by micky

Wasn't there a switch of engineers from Specialized to Cannondale? Or other way around?
That (perhaps) would explain the similar design.

muti

by muti

You're right.Peter Denk of Denk engineering now works for Specialized.He has designed some of the most iconic,groundbraking(for their times) and longlasting frames(Scott cr1/addict,Cannondale evo1/2 and now Tarmac sl6).So Cannondale have some big shoes to fill.Let's hope that another "annondale"doesn't show up.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

muti wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 am
You're right.Peter Denk of Denk engineering now works for Specialized.He has designed some of the most iconic,groundbraking(for their times) and longlasting frames(Scott cr1/addict,Cannondale evo1/2 and now Tarmac sl6).So Cannondale have some big shoes to fill.Let's hope that another "annondale"doesn't show up.
Sl6, innovative? :roll:

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Is the rear brake in the spy shot a direct mount or traditional?

Verbal

by Verbal

For me it seems to be a direct mount.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

I’m also happy to see no seatpost wedges or awkward bolts right next to the seatpost so you have to have a small torque wrench to get in there. Some of the seatpost clamp bolt locations on bikes make me wonder if the designers have ever ridden a bike before!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com