DMT KR1. Dream shoe candidate?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Edit: double post.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:21 am
Got the KR0s... went down a half size from what I usually wear in Gaerne, Specialized, Bontrager. One full size down from Giro, Sidi and Shimano. Ever so slightly too small in the toebox, so I think going with my normal size would have helped there.

Another problem was the heel cup. It's too shallow and doesn't have good retention at all. Damn shame, I really wanted these to fit.
Got a pair of KRSL that have the same issue with the heel cup. There's zero retention. I move freely up and down in the heel. Edit: found out this is only an issue when walking - rolled the dice and took them for a spin, no issue when on the bike.

The shoes are beautiful and well made. Very comfortable too. Sized down half a EU size from Shimano (42 in DMT, 42.5 in Shimano rc901).
Last edited by jadedaid on Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:21 am
Got the KR0s... went down a half size from what I usually wear in Gaerne, Specialized, Bontrager. One full size down from Giro, Sidi and Shimano. Ever so slightly too small in the toebox, so I think going with my normal size would have helped there.

Another problem was the heel cup. It's too shallow and doesn't have good retention at all. Damn shame, I really wanted these to fit.
Rolling the dice for the 3rd time on the KRO. Started with DMT's recommended size of 42.5 only to find them way to big, so returned and ordered in 42 and found similar issues with heel cup as Tobin but in my case, I could push my forefinger down behind my heel, forcing the foot forward and still had wiggle room in the toe box, so back they went. Seems like that one has to go for the same fit as a barefoot style running shoe (I have Nike Free RN's) so I ordered the last set that Alebikewear had available for white in size 41.5 and crossing my fingers. Shoes are currently out for delivery so will have an answer this evening but just saw on BikeRadar that Shimano has introduced the S-Phyre RC903 at Eurobike, so now I am going to be even more critical of the fit and heel retention of the KROs.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

Shoes were delivered a short time ago and suffice to say, are now on the way back to the vendor. In a nutshell, while the smaller I went in size the better the fit felt, as @TobinHatesYou indicated, the heel lift is simply unacceptable and was at its worst with the smallest size. Worse yet, I could also feel what I think was the size of the carbon base in the mid foot area, and while it was somewhat disconcerting while standing up on on carpert, I imagine this would become pretty uncomfortable after 2-3 hours on the road.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jadedaid

by jadedaid

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 pm
Shoes were delivered a short time ago and suffice to say, are now on the way back to the vendor. In a nutshell, while the smaller I went in size the better the fit felt, as @TobinHatesYou indicated, the heel lift is simply unacceptable and was at its worst with the smallest size. Worse yet, I could also feel what I think was the size of the carbon base in the mid foot area, and while it was somewhat disconcerting while standing up on on carpert, I imagine this would become pretty uncomfortable after 2-3 hours on the road.
So I took the shoes out for a ride (KRSL), and the heel lift was non-existant. Very surprising. In 90min of riding, I noticed the heel only once. Walking around in them it's slip-city though as Tobin mentioned.

The knit upper was a surprising revelation, and really liked it.

nickf

by nickf

Been riding the KR0 for some time now. Yes you notice the heel lift when walking but on the bike it's not a problem at all. The knit took a few rides to break in around. They were pretty dang tight around the ball of my foot, not pleasant. They are perfectly comfortable now. 4-5 hour rides with no discomfort or hot spots. It's full on summer here with temps pushing 32c. I sweat enough to fully saturate the knit material through and through. Immediately get home and rinse them off with mild soap. They do dry very quickly.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Just got the KRSL and the size is perfect but I'm also having major heel lift. I have only tried them on and I'm guessing it won't be a problem when riding, as someone mentioned above. But it's still worrying. The shoes feel perfect otherwise, and plenty wide.

Are the KR0 any better in that regard? Maybe the top Boa will help as it can tighten things down better. Although I had issues before on the KR3 with discomfort on top when trying to tighten too much, and I've seen someone mention the same thing in a review of the KR0.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

stevesbike

by stevesbike

There is only a small strip of padding for the boa wires with the KR0 - barely thicker than the surrounding material, so you'll definitely feel it if you tighten it down. I really wanted to like the KR0 - it's super comfortable on and fits extremely well but the issue I ended up having is that the uppers didn't have enough structure, especially on the inside section of the shoe. It would create gaps and creases that then led to foot movement and rocking. I also have the Ares, which is the exact opposite for a knit upper. It holds my foot like a vise, especially around the heel. I don't even have to tighten the dials. It's incredibly efficient feeling though I still prefer my old pair of Mavic SLs for really long rides.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

stevesbike wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm
There is only a small strip of padding for the boa wires with the KR0 - barely thicker than the surrounding material, so you'll definitely feel it if you tighten it down. I really wanted to like the KR0 - it's super comfortable on and fits extremely well but the issue I ended up having is that the uppers didn't have enough structure, especially on the inside section of the shoe. It would create gaps and creases that then led to foot movement and rocking. I also have the Ares, which is the exact opposite for a knit upper. It holds my foot like a vise, especially around the heel. I don't even have to tighten the dials. It's incredibly efficient feeling though I still prefer my old pair of Mavic SLs for really long rides.
Maybe structure shouldn't be an issue on the SL as they have those ridges on the midfoot area which the laces are pulling together.

How are they to clean? I am thinking that I maybe should have got black but the white just looks so good.

I did try the Ares but they were just way to narrow for me.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just ordered the KRO. Would be nice to see how these are. I have Pearl Izumis ex top of the line shoe. It's also heel lift, but it's a zero issue when you ride.
Well, who knows, i ordered two sizes so i'll see if any of them will fit. I've seen some reviews mostly complaining of the price (which in my case was fair).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ichobi

by ichobi

Please report back once you have a chance to ride them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ichobi wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:19 am
Please report back once you have a chance to ride them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a bit polarizing talking sizing. I was told the shoes run small so i should size up one whole size :shock:
Reading here about heel slipping, i would assume size up is not a smart thing to do. I think i go for my order.
Foot lenght +5mm. It seems my feets have gotten shorter. I measured them several times, my longest foot is now 5mm shorter than what it was :noidea:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I had the KR1's briefly this year. I only rode them on the trainer a couple of times and each time I had a hot spot on my left foot. I'm not sure if this was because the shape of the footbed, but I eventually sold them onto a friend because I felt that they were half a size too large for me. FWIW, I normally wear a 43 in Giro and Shimano. I didn't experience any heel lifting like others did.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:04 pm
I had the KR1's briefly this year. I only rode them on the trainer a couple of times and each time I had a hot spot on my left foot. I'm not sure if this was because the shape of the footbed, but I eventually sold them onto a friend because I felt that they were half a size too large for me. FWIW, I normally wear a 43 in Giro and Shimano. I didn't experience any heel lifting like others did.
This is just getting weirder and weirder. All of you say they run large and the dealer is just saying the opposite :noidea:
I think i believe you guys more. Nothing the do but wait. Sadly the shoes aren't expected until 20/2 :-(
I personally don't go after size in terms of 43, 44, 45 etc. I go after the measurement table. From that i picked two size which both run a few mm longer than my feets. If i should just go for sizes with respect to EU sizes (43, 44, 45 etc), these would be sized down from other shoes i have.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Haven't tried the KR0 but tried the KR30 yesterday and felt same in size as Specialized S-Works 7. Got hooked and now waiting if I can get my hands on a pair of KRSL in my size :D