Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

I like the hoods better. The battery doesn’t last as long due to being wireless. You can however, wire the shifters to the battery to get a longer life on charges.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nick38

by Nick38

Thanks kode54, how long would you say battery lasts? What's life like for the batteries in the hoods?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I'm still on Dura-Ace 9170 11 speed and have a spare brand new same groupset so no need to upgrade to 12 speed yet.
But I've tried my friend's Dura-Ace 12 speed and like the hoods better. Braking also is improved. Shifting same can't tell.

kode54

by kode54

Nick38 wrote:Thanks kode54, how long would you say battery lasts? What's life like for the batteries in the hoods?
Not certain about wired between charges and not since I have wireless setup. Also, never really made any notes on wireless on battery longevity. Others have a more exact timeline.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

As I have the rim brake version of the 9200, battery life (via wired) is the same as the 11-speed. With regards to the wireless option, some have complained about a slight delay when pressing the buttons to wake up the system. So it appears that the higher battery drain is mainly caused by the RD's RF receiver being constantly on listening for a wireless signal.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:05 pm
As I have the rim brake version of the 9200, battery life (via wired) is the same as the 11-speed. With regards to the wireless option, some have complained about a slight delay when pressing the buttons to wake up the system. So it appears that the higher battery drain is mainly caused by the RD's RF receiver being constantly on listening for a wireless signal.
How did you wire up the front end of your 9250 setup? Would you mind posting a pic?

I will be installing it as soon as I get my new frame and I am mulling over a couple of different ways to do it.

Thanks.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
How did you wire up the front end of your 9250 setup? Would you mind posting a pic?

I will be installing it as soon as I get my new frame and I am mulling over a couple of different ways to do it.

Thanks.
It's pretty simple but you'll need five wires total plus a wire coupler. One single wire (the longest they sell at 1600mm) plus a shorter wire connected by a coupler, and it goes from the battery to the left shifter. Then a shorter wire from the left shifter to the right shifter. The other two wires are for the FD and RD. The 1600mm wire is just a bit too short by itself from the battery to the left shifter. Hence you need a wire coupler to make a single long wire that's about 1800-2000mm long depending on your frame size.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:28 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Thanks.
It's pretty simple but you'll need five wires total plus a wire coupler. One single wire (the longest they sell at 1600mm) plus a shorter wire connected by a coupler, and it goes from the battery to the left shifter. Then a shorter wire from the left shifter to the right shifter. The other two wires are for the FD and RD. The 1600mm wire is just a bit too short by itself from the battery to the left shifter. Hence you need a wire coupler to make a single long wire that's about 1800-2000mm long depending on your frame size.
That's what I was thinking. I considered mirroring the 9150 setup, using a four way SD300 junction with wires coming from the shifter to it, and shrink wrapping it to the rear brake cable, but I think your setup with the two way junction stuck in the DT will be the ticket.

Cheers.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BdaGhisallo wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Thanks.
That's what I was thinking. I considered mirroring the 9150 setup, using a four way SD300 junction with wires coming from the shifter to it, and shrink wrapping it to the rear brake cable, but I think your setup with the two way junction stuck in the DT will be the ticket.

Cheers.
There is no need to use anything other than the JC302 connector on 9250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ill principe

by ill principe

Ordered my cs-r8100 11-30 cassette in december 2021 and of course I have the 4-5 cog ticking noise. Contemplating buying a new cassette to hopefully get rid of the issue, but since the current cassette has only ~3500km on it I´m eager to make sure it actually adresses the problem.

Will a new cassette actually adress the problem? Do we have confirmation that changes has been made to the cassette since early production batches? Can this be identified (e.g changes in serial number?).
Whats the best channel to source a cassette as newly manufactured as possible in Europe? Big german online stores like Bike24?
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

HBike

by HBike

ill principe wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:13 pm
Ordered my cs-r8100 11-30 cassette in december 2021 and of course I have the 4-5 cog ticking noise. Contemplating buying a new cassette to hopefully get rid of the issue, but since the current cassette has only ~3500km on it I´m eager to make sure it actually adresses the problem.

Will a new cassette actually adress the problem? Do we have confirmation that changes has been made to the cassette since early production batches? Can this be identified (e.g changes in serial number?).
Whats the best channel to source a cassette as newly manufactured as possible in Europe? Big german online stores like Bike24?
Interesting. My Scott Addict RC bike with 11-30 cassette had no tickling sound, I installed a DA 11-34 and chain and it works nicely, too. So maybe I have been lucky, I ordered it from a larger online-distributor without knowing at that time that there could be a problem. Now I would just file down the specific tooth, since this seems to work for some, here.

Nick38

by Nick38

pdlpsher1 wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Thanks.
So with the shifters wired into the battery can you forget about the small batteries in the hoods? Are they just redundant?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Nick38 wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Thanks.
So with the shifters wired into the battery can you forget about the small batteries in the hoods? Are they just redundant?
Rim brake version doesn’t have batteries in the levers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Still have a click in the 4th cog with the 11-34t. Geezus.

I’ll try to remove the adhesive spacer and try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Spent a bunch of time last night trying to get the shifting to an acceptable level. Started by making sure the hanger was straight (it was). Got the chain to the right size. Set the b-limit as close to spec as possible.

Still having issues with a couple of cogs making noise (4th and 5th and, sometimes 7th). With the 11-34, also had an issue where it was having difficulty shifting from 12th to 11th.

Is it fair to assume that my cassettes are bad? What else is there to do?

I would certainly order up an R9200 11-34t if it was guaranteed to work at this point as that would be cheaper than taking it to the bike shop having them diagnose it and submit a warranty claim to Shimano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro