Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

raggedtrousers wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:31 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 am
Does anyone else kind of miss R9100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't specifically miss the rim brake version of 11 speed, but I do miss the 'it just worked' factor. Neither I nor 2 different shops can totally eliminate chain throw with the 8170 FD, and I preferred the old hood shape.

I'm very seriously considering selling it and seeing if I can pick up 11sp DA for the same money. I did consider AXS, but decided that's too drastic :wink:
Does the 105 Di2 front derailleur have the same issues? From what I've seen it seems to be specific to the new FD design of the Ultegra/Dura Ace...

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

raggedtrousers wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 am
Does anyone else kind of miss R9100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't specifically miss the rim brake version of 11 speed, but I do miss the 'it just worked' factor. Neither I nor 2 different shops can totally eliminate chain throw with the 8170 FD, and I preferred the old hood shape.

I'm very seriously considering selling it and seeing if I can pick up 11sp DA for the same money. I did consider AXS, but decided that's too drastic :wink:
I feel the same way. I miss shifting without thinking. I do not miss the gear ratios, though. For fondo events where much of it isn’t raced, but it’s very hilly, 52/36, 11-28t is just rough. I don’t want to be doing 300 watts just to get up a 13% grade at a reasonable cadence in the middle of a 100-mile event with 10,000 feet of climbing. It would be fine if I were racing the whole distance, but it definitely doesn’t help when trying to conserve energy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:06 am
I feel the same way. I miss shifting without thinking. I do not miss the gear ratios, though. For fondo events where much of it isn’t raced, but it’s very hilly, 52/36, 11-28t is just rough. I don’t want to be doing 300 watts just to get up a 13% grade at a reasonable cadence in the middle of a 100-mile event with 10,000 feet of climbing. It would be fine if I were racing the whole distance, but it definitely doesn’t help when trying to conserve energy.
Nothing 50/34 3rd party chainrings and 11-32 XG1190 cassette wouldn't solve, unless, of course, you're into "200% all DA" setup camp.
I still think the 11spd DA with 9270 calipers is the best combo you can have right now.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Maddie

by Maddie

I upgraded from 11s DA Di2 to a mix of 12s Ultegra and DA a bit more than a year ago. The first rides on 12s Di2 made me miss 11s Di2. 11s Di2 setup was so easy, both front and rear. Hardly needed microadjust. And not a single chain throw ever. Just a very well working shifting setup. Set up and forget. With 12s Di2, setup took a while until it was really perfect and on 11s level. I definitely missed the RS910 plug and micro adjust button from 11s Di2 during these rides. The first 12s 11-34 Ultegra cassette was clicking on the 5th cog. I upgraded to DA and since then absolute silence, like I was used to with 11s. At the beginning I had chain throws and I had to play around a bit with microadjust too. But it's fine now. 12s Di2 setup in general is definitely a bit more tricky compared to 11s Di2
The only real reason why I upgraded to 12s was the 11-34 cassette which can be a bit of a life saver for me as I live in Switzerland :D :D And the front shifting on 12s is really impressive, even on 11s DA chainrings. On my roadbikes that do not see the steepest climbs I see no reason to upgrade to 12s Di2 :noidea:

STUB1

by STUB1

"This may be a little unfair/judgemental, but this is how I read your mechanic's comment:

(....) who I consider a very reputable/skilled mechanic mentioned to me that I should run it wired rather than wireless. He reckons he could charge you more money to set up wired rather than semi wireless and adding 2 expensive cables that can run with the hydraulic lines it was worth doing. :D :D"

Always a consideration - however this was in passing discussion just after it was first released, at the time I was in no way looking to upgrade. I don't think he was implying the shifting speed increased, rather the time from pressing the shifter to initiating the shift, which is not impossible to believe. While a 50% relative increase seems significant, i'm sure the absolute time difference is small (if there is one.) I'd be interested to know if the pros run them wired.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Ouch!

Shimano R9200P Power Meter In-Depth Review: Astonishingly Inaccurate

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/02/shi ... 7vYCazjyIU

henau212

by henau212

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Ouch!

Yikes.. Shimano sponsored teams swapping to non Shimano PMs during training? 🤦🏼‍♂️

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Theirs probably get calibration a lot by shimano themselves. Shimano should just ditch their crank powermeters. Make some powermeter spd sl’s and they will fly off the shelves

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:40 pm
Theirs probably get calibration a lot by shimano themselves. Shimano should just ditch their crank powermeters. Make some powermeter spd sl’s and they will fly off the shelves
Instead of Pioneer, Shimano should have bought Assioma. Just saying.

nunokas

by nunokas

Why they don't just use Assioma and be with it?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

henau212 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:36 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Ouch!

Yikes.. Shimano sponsored teams swapping to non Shimano PMs during training? 🤦🏼‍♂️
They're probably ditching them in races too like using a non drive Stages and just going with that alone.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am

I still think the 11spd DA with 9270 calipers is the best combo you can have right now.
Is there anything specific about the new calipers that make them that much better than the previous gen? I know they have more pad clearance but I never have had issues with my current 9100 and rub. Would they even be an upgrade if I'm not having problems with my current setup?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:25 pm
henau212 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:36 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Ouch!

They're probably ditching them in races too like using a non drive Stages and just going with that alone.
Stages has a new dual-sided DA unit out that has tested very well. Here is a link to GP Lama's review:

https://youtu.be/H1YxXidWZc4

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

The P2M/Rotor Carbon PM has been working flawlessly on my bike. I highly recommend this combo for 30mm setup. I'm running the unit with a T47 BB.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:05 am
Is there anything specific about the new calipers that make them that much better than the previous gen? I know they have more pad clearance but I never have had issues with my current 9100 and rub. Would they even be an upgrade if I'm not having problems with my current setup?
As they say, if it works, don't break it :D (especially something as fiddly as road disc brakes)

However, the 9270 calipers are slightly lighter, more pad clearance... like 2 instant win points right there.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com