Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Cubist wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 pm
Has anybody tried a 40T inner chainring in combination with a 52T outer chainring.

Is this a combination that will likely cause problems? I live in the Netherlands where it is very flat. I want to ride with a 40T inner chainring on the flats here and then change back to 36 when I go to the hills/mountains.
It will work well......another thing is that you exceed the difference between the number of teeth that should be between the small and the large......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Marvinman wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:24 pm
henau212 wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:12 pm
For those of us who are stuck with R9100P and R9200P, is there any recourse? I chatted with Canyon and they offered $50 to take it to a local Shimano tech to check out. For now, it’s just kind of a useless piece of gear on my bike and I’m running Rally pedals and dual recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why not just sell the Powermeter, buy a standard spider and use the Rally? The did not fix the old and my bet is that they are not going fix the new one..
My solution (along with a BBinfinite GXP BB):

Slightly heavier than the R9100P, but not bad (739g).

Hi I'm interested in this Quarq setup - does it work OK or are there any issues? I'm running Quarq and would like to upgrade but keep it as my PM

Thx very much
What’re you upgrading to?

Tribullet

by Tribullet

I've seen tons of comments on running a 9100 crankset on a 9200 groupset. Anyone have insight on the other way around? Running a 9200 crankset on a 9150 groupset.

I need a new crank and thought about grabbing a 9100 crank, but chainrings are hard to come by, was thinking a 9200 crank would futureproof me a bit if it works with 11 speed.

Minirac

by Minirac

Tribullet wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:41 am
I've seen tons of comments on running a 9100 crankset on a 9200 groupset. Anyone have insight on the other way around? Running a 9200 crankset on a 9150 groupset.

I need a new crank and thought about grabbing a 9100 crank, but chainrings are hard to come by, was thinking a 9200 crank would futureproof me a bit if it works with 11 speed.
No..

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

I got a chance to test new 12-speed 105 last few days and it's a bit... underwhelming?
My reference is 11 speed Ultegra RX I am using for 2.5 years now. The new 105 shifts slower and the front derailler is clunkier in comparison to butter smooth shifts I am used to. There is rubbing on some gear combination (mainly on small chainring in the front and around 4-5-6 sprocket counting from the biggest one). It's a rental bike so maybe the settings aren't set to fast shifting but it's set up by a pretty competent mechanic.

Does anyone have different experience with the new 12speed after upgrading from 11 speed di2? Is Ultegra/Dura Ace significantly better than 105? If not I will strongly consider getting a 11 speed Di2 for my new bike. The new gear ratios are great as 11speed 11-34 cassette had unnecessary jumps on low sprockets (why not make it 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34 instead of starting with 11-13-15?) and the new one is perfect paired with a compact in the front but the performance penalty (at least as perceived by me) would make 12 speed not worth it in my view.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RoadDonk82 wrote:It's a rental bike so maybe the settings aren't set to fast shifting but it's set up by a pretty competent mechanic
Sounds like your assessment of the mechanic’s competence is off.

Pretty sure the way Di2 works does not differ from Dura Ace to 105 other than speed of shift. Trim adjustment is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

At the moment I’m riding with 105Di2 and last year my bike had DURA ACE 12s Di2. To be honest I’m not experiencing any difference in shift speed. 105 is just heavier so it makes me wonder if I really need DA or would Ultegra be good enough with some lighter parts.
105Di2 is missing extra buttons on hoods so that’s no no for me.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

frnchy

by frnchy

I'm on 105 Di2, I have no front derailleur rubbing in any gear combo. It was a little finicky to set up but not more so than any mechanical setup I've used. The shift speed is every bit as fast as the Ultegra and Dura-Ace bikes I tried at my LBS. The front shifting is noiser on 105 than Ultegra/Dura-Ace but not by much. The aesthetics of the 105 front derailleur aren't as good IMO, but that's the only thing I can fault 105 on.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

The 105 front derailleur is essentially the 11-speed Di2 FD with the 105 logo slapped onto it, so yeah... it won't be faster/better than previous models :).

Also, the 105 cassettes don't have the HyperGlide+ ramps, while 12-speed DA and Ultegra do... so there's another difference.

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

The 105 front derailleur is essentially the 11-speed Di2 FD with the 105 logo slapped onto it, so yeah... it won't be faster/better than previous models :).
Might still be worse because of a thinner chain though, right?

I played with it a bit more today. It seems that sometimes after FD shift there is rubbing which only goes away if I shift back and forth again. I am not able to say why it happens. Usually it's quiet and then suddenly there is rubbing after a shift to a small ring in front.
I hope to test ultegra di2 in the near future as well before deciding what to put on my new bike.
On a plus side I tried to drop the chain by performing front and rear shifts at the same time but I failed. On my previous rental it took me 15 seconds to confuse SRAM rival FD without even doing anything out of ordinary.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I think you're right that narrower 12s chains mean tighter tolerances for shifting.

12s FDs seem more more difficult to set up for smoothness and speed and are less forgiving than 11s for chain drops.

With the RDs I think hanger tolerances are much tighter for 12s. There seem to be more shifting issues and unwanted noise if the hanger is even a bit out.

None of this should be a surprise, narrower chains and less distance between sprockets means everything needs to be more finely tuned. What we need is auto tuning FDs, that would be so cool.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ichobi

by ichobi

Generally speaking, if you don't need 12 speed, for those who have used both the 11 and 12 speed da di2, do you think the upgrade is worth it?

11 speed da di2 has
- faster chain
- lighter overall components
- a lot cheaper now
- may be a tad worse brake

I kinda want to optimize the weight and resistance in the system and given disc bikes tend to be rather heavy, perhaps building it with

- 9170 caliper / shifter
- DA Di2 11 speed derailures
- Galfer rotors ( i like these and been using them for sometimes now)
- SRAM Red 11 cassette
- Dura Ace 11 chain
- Rotor aldhu carbon crank and chainrings ( i dont like DA Cranks)

I am plenty okay with DA Di2 11 shift performance and functions. I also kinda like the previous gen hood shape.
Thoughts?

andreas

by andreas

Only reason I went for the 12 speed groupset was to get servowave in Di2 levers and the extra 10% clearance in the calipers.
I had a bike with a fairly flexible fork, that gave rubbing issues with anything but Hope floating rotors - now there's a larger margin of error.

I haven't even thought about the fact that there's an extra gear, besides the fact that I needed to get a sturdier hanger to get the chainline to stay prescice over time.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

ichobi wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:52 am

I kinda want to optimize the weight and resistance in the system and given disc bikes tend to be rather heavy, perhaps building it with

- 9170 caliper / shifter
- DA Di2 11 speed derailures
- Galfer rotors ( i like these and been using them for sometimes now)
- SRAM Red 11 cassette
- Dura Ace 11 chain
- Rotor aldhu carbon crank and chainrings ( i dont like DA Cranks)

I am plenty okay with DA Di2 11 shift performance and functions. I also kinda like the previous gen hood shape.
Thoughts?
With minor variations, this is what I have continued doing (and slowly upgrading, from 8100 Ultegra to 9100 DA, for instance) for all my bikes ever since the 9200 series came out, nothing wrong with that approach at all.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

I haven't even thought about the fact that there's an extra gear, besides the fact that I needed to get a sturdier hanger to get the chainline to stay prescice over time.
I don't care much about the extra gear. The problem is that to get good gearing for long climbs I would like to have a compact 50-34 and 11-34 cassette. It's perfect with 12 speed. The problem with 11 speed 11-34 cassette is that it's a terrible design from Shimano (why is 12 cog missing just to make a small gap between 25 and 27?). They fixed that in 12 speed design. I don't really care about having additional 14 cog but missing 12 is relly annoying and caused me to change the default cassette on my gravel bike. Give me 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34 (same as 12 speed but without 14 cog) and the problems go away.

To rectify that I would need to go with subcompact (either 48-32 or 46-30) as the 11-32 and 11-30 cassettes have better designed gearing. I don't mind missing the top gear that much but limited choice of frames and cranksets is an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com