Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:26 pm
Just ordered my first bike with Dura Ace 9200 series, Factor Ostro Vam II. Can you guys tell me the advantages/disatvantages the 9200 has over the 9100 series? Currently have three bikes with 9170/9150 Dura Ace.
In addition to what others have said:

Hood shape is also a big change. Different people have different preferences between the designs and reach is longer on 9200.

Calipers are wider which is a huge change for the better and the newer dura ace level are not two parts bolted together like most other calipers. The newer calipers have a slightly different bleed flow design which is the best amonst the major vendors in my opinion for usability amongst those I'd consider. Additionally they finally ditched the crap flat head pad retaining bolts which was way overdue. In use performance is similar other then reduced chance of rotor ticking but tons of quality of life changes to the calipers.

The wireless connection to the shifters, wireless module & charging port on the rd, and ports on the battery help with getting rid of tons of junctions and extra wires which most people dont account for so weight is closer than you would guess between similar level shifting only 11s and 12s Shimano (not counting crank, rotors, calipers).

Crank is heavier to mitigate their 11s crank bond failures. If you are weight conscious you shoudnt use their crankarms anyways. Chainrings are amazing for both.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Has anyone wired their shifters to the battery? Apperantly 50% more battery life??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Tooslow wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:36 am
Has anyone wired their shifters to the battery? Apperantly 50% more battery life??
Actually better wireless is ~50% less than wired (half). Therefore wired is ~double battery life to wireless and no wake up shift or coincell batteries to swap every few years. (2*.5=1)

Rim R9250 requires wired while hydro R9270 can do wireless or wired but requires wired for firmware updates.

The long etube and second etube between shifters are marginally heavier than the batteries you can ditch even for 49cm bikes with 36cm handlebars.

105 di2 R7170 shifters require wireless while Ultegra R8170 and Dura-Ace R9270 can be ran either way.

Its very rare for people to hardwire wireless compatible Di2, outside of temporary firmware update setups, but you can do it. Shimano are likely looking at the stats on their app for how many people do this and I wouldn't be surprised to see this option go away in future versions (R9300+ hydro). My bet is that as soon Shimano releases a wireless shifter that can update firmware over wireless they will no longer allow hardwired for new product releases.

If you are next level you can decase the di2 battery, at the expense of water proofing and easy integration, and either go with a lighter weight battery with less capacity or a larger battery with more capacity but I would guess less than 10 people have ever bothered and usually to save weight.

chrhag

by chrhag

Have the 9200 with shimano power meter. Going to change before this season, and standing between the new 4iiii or p2m with Rotor Aldhu cranks.
A little weight penatly with p2m, but then again a known consistent PM.

Any suggestions or thougts?

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Either is a decent choice - no accuracy issues with 4iiii/Stages for 9200 so you're basically fine to go with anything that's not Shimano's own PM.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

chrhag wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 am
Have the 9200 with shimano power meter. Going to change before this season, and standing between the new 4iiii or p2m with Rotor Aldhu cranks.
A little weight penatly with p2m, but then again a known consistent PM.

Any suggestions or thougts?
Have a 4iiii on my gravel bike and like it. No issues. Waiting for the new 4iiii to come back in stock to throw on another set of cranks. The Apple Find My is a nice addition.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

pk0r wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:43 pm
Yes, they are interchangeable. I already swapped levers between my DA and Ultegra 12speed bikes without issues.
Mate thanks. I just received the DA titanium clamps. Do you recall if you used the silver (Ultegra) or black (Dura-Ace) hollow bolt? (The main hex 5 one.)

I've got R8170 levers. Swapped the clamps over and used the black DA hollow bolts. They were a bit harder to push through the shifter body than the original silver Ultegra ones. I can spin them and tighten them no problem, just that there's a bit of resistance noticeable.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 pm
I just received the DA titanium clamps. Do you recall if you used the silver (Ultegra) or black (Dura-Ace) hollow bolt? (The main hex 5 one.)

I've got R8170 levers. Swapped the clamps over and used the black DA hollow bolts. They were a bit harder to push through the shifter body than the original silver Ultegra ones. I can spin them and tighten them no problem, just that there's a bit of resistance noticeable.
I'm not who you quoted but I've messed around with DA clamp bands to get them to work for various Shimano shifters using Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, and Risk Titanium parts.

Basically as the parts get lighter the fixing bolt (attached to the clamp band) and receptacle part (attached through the shifter) both get shorter. What you likely experienced is that the shorter DA fixing bolt is harder to poke through the shifter body due to being shorter.

I have yet to run into a situation where having longer parts than required cause issues other than higher weight.

From what I've seen there are more weight savings to be had in the receptacle part attached through the shifter.

With Di2 rim ST-R9250 I decided to use the Dura-Ace fixing bolt for more length and the Risk receptacle part and washer.

With Di2 hydro ST-R8170 I decided to use the Dura-Ace fixing bolt for more length and the Risk receptacle part and washer.

With one of these shifter sets it was basically impossible to use only the Risk parts where for the other it was harder than desired but worked but I went with something that worked with no issues to reduce risk. However, I can't recall which one had more issues. So keep in mind that the various Di2, mechanical, hydro, and rim shifters likely have slightly different minimum bolt length requirements to get acceptable thread engagement.

As far as I can tell the Shimano titanium clamp bands are the same between all their Dura-Ace shifters. I've checked ST-R9100, ST-R9170, and ST-R9250 so far. Shimano has tons of different SKUs with different bolts for the different shifter sets though.

Photos I captured:
St-R9250 and Risk.PNG
ST-R9170 and Risk.PNG
Copied from a previous post of mine:
The stock shifter clamp assemblies for Ultegra are 34.30g (19.52g for two steel bands, 6.66g for two bolts, 2*0.99g for washers, 2*3.07g for nuts)
Dura-Ace shifter clamp assemblies are 21.77g (10.09g for two ti bands, 3.90g for two bolts, 2*0.95g for washers, 2*2.94g for nuts)
My modified Dura-Ace shifter clamp assemblies are 16.99g (10.09g for two Dura-Ace Ti bands and 6.90g for two aftermarket Ti bolts, washers, and nuts)

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

@OtterSpace or @K4m1k4z3

Other than weight, do the clamps have similar properties? Stiffness/shape (other than the obvious difference in cutout). I read that some dura ace clamps were chamfered but perhaps only the older ones.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

ItalianEngineering wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:00 pm
@OtterSpace or @K4m1k4z3

Other than weight, do the clamps have similar properties? Stiffness/shape (other than the obvious difference in cutout). I read that some dura ace clamps were chamfered but perhaps only the older ones.
They are Ti instead of steel but otherwise look fairly similar. I highly doubt there are any major stiffness differences and while installed I am confident no one could tell the difference from use alone.

I'll take a look at the chamfering when I get home from work. I also have some Campag V4 super record shifters and can take some photos for comparison.

The only major reason to swap is to save weight. Comparing current gen Ultegra to Dura-Ace hydro around 1/3rd of the weight savings in Dura-Ace are from the band clamps and bolts. I personally couldn't justify Dura-Ace shifters at their current cost but I could justify the $/g of the clamp assemblies.

edit: some photos and info

Band clamps from Dura-Ace ST-R9250 are titanium have secondary operations performed on the top and bottom inner lip that ends at the rear of the clamp. No polarity marking but text orientation to which face is inner is the same as campag.
d.png
Band clamps from Ultegra ST-R8170 are steel don't have any secondary machining and are likely stamped. No polarity marking but text orientation to which face is inner is the same as campag.
u1.jpg
Band clamps from Super Record EPS V4 rim have a fairly flat inner lip on the faces that go into the shafter but the outer face flairs away and is likely stamped to move these lips outwards. The Campagnolo band clamp is steel, the part attached to the clamp band is steel, and the part attached from to the shifter end is Titanium. The band height is the same as Shimano so Campagnolo might be able to use the Dura-Ace titanium band clamp as well if you can figure out the correct bolts or reuse the Campag ones. I would check but the bolt is so hard to get to from the shifter side so I'd rather not bother.

Unlike Shimano Campagnolo has polarity marked on the band clamps. Like Shimano the Campagnolo band clamp is the same for both sides.
c.png
edit 2: Red22 band clamps are also steel but are not as tall so cannot be swapped for Shimano style. No idea for newer SRAM stuff.

RobinDuraAce

by RobinDuraAce

Hi
Has somebody tried the forbidden combinations of the Dura Ace Chainrings for 12 speed.
I want to keep the 36 chainring for training but add the 54 or even the 56 chainring instead of the 52. Think 56/40 will work perfectly, because the difference is also 16 tooth's. But I am unsure, how it works with the 36.
All the chainrings are the normal chainrings from Shimano.
Best regards
Any experiences of this?

hogehoge

by hogehoge

RobinDuraAce wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 pm
Hi
Has somebody tried the forbidden combinations of the Dura Ace Chainrings for 12 speed.
I want to keep the 36 chainring for training but add the 54 or even the 56 chainring instead of the 52. Think 56/40 will work perfectly, because the difference is also 16 tooth's. But I am unsure, how it works with the 36.
All the chainrings are the normal chainrings from Shimano.
Best regards
Any experiences of this?
The shifting will probably be worse in both of these combinations as the shift ramp/guides on the outer chainring are too short for the smaller chainring. Also I don't think there is a 56T Dura Ace outer chainring normally avaliable for 9200.

RobinDuraAce

by RobinDuraAce

Okay, thought the same but I want to give it a try. The FD shifts soo good, think it can maybe handle a not official set up.
Yeah, normally you can just buy 54 and nothing more , but there are bigger chainrings for the pros. For flat racing it is perfect in my opinion. You don't need every time the highest gear but the chainline is more straight and on little downhill sections you can push a lot.
Attachments
SHIMANO DURA ACE KETTENBLATT FC-R9200  CR-R9200 54  56  58 ZÄHNE B- – Used Bikes Oliver Blas GmbH.jpeg.png

satanas

by satanas

FWIW, TA in France make rings up to 60T for DA 12.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

What is this part? I think it came out of the front derailleur box, but maybe rear derailleur.
20240328_202435.jpg