The ideal bar tape (which, when and why)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

one60

by one60

there are a few ways to achieve that look....once you've cut the bar to size, unwrap the last turn or so of bar tape and apply the electrical or self-fusing tape to the underside of the tape (sticky side down). Once its in place, rewrap the bar tape and secure it by folding over the electrical tape onto the bar tape.

artiebulger

by artiebulger

Burgh "X Stealth" is my personal favourite. Tacky feel, lays well, and looks incredibly cool.
S-Works Tarmac SL7 - SRAM RED (2021)
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert (2021)
Pinarello Dogma F - DADi2 12 Speed (2023)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ymerej

by Ymerej

Supacaz works well for me in black.

kroem

by kroem

artiebulger wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:14 am
Burgh "X Stealth" is my personal favourite. Tacky feel, lays well, and looks incredibly cool.
Those looks really nice!
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

ODC

by ODC

In the past I was happy with Specialized Roubaix handlebar tape. Then since last year using the supacaz super sticky kush and never want something else anymore.
I have hearth that specialized is going to stop with producing handlebar tapes and it would take over supacaz. Don't if those rumors are truth.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I've had good luck with Zipp Service Course CX tape. Tried Lizard Skins and it was horrible, kept sliding, had to rewrap the bars twice, maybe I just had a bad set? Have Supacaz on the new bike, like it so far.

London9921

by London9921

ODC wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 pm
In the past I was happy with Specialized Roubaix handlebar tape. Then since last year using the supacaz super sticky kush and never want something else anymore.
I have hearth that specialized is going to stop with producing handlebar tapes and it would take over supacaz. Don't if those rumors are truth.
Specialized founder Mike Sinyard's son founded Supacaz (using his dads trade contacts for sure). That's why you'll find Supacaz on all WT Specialized sponsored bikes for instance. Their logo was even on Bora Hansgrohes Specialized bidons. Sinyard Sr has done all he can to promote his sons business.

I've also used the S-wrap Roubaix tape and it's been incredibly good. Can't find it anywhere.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

I love the ENVE bartape, have it on all bikes.
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I love the Lifeline (Wiggle) Professional Bar Tape, (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/l ... d-bar-tape)

Cheap, Light (approx. 32g wrapped on my Aero bars), feels great dry or wet, doesn't seem to wear at all, have it on all my bikes, have tried pretty much every other brand out there and always come back to this.

voicycle

by voicycle

stevec1975 wrote:I love the Lifeline (Wiggle) Professional Bar Tape, (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/l ... d-bar-tape)

Cheap, Light (approx. 32g wrapped on my Aero bars), feels great dry or wet, doesn't seem to wear at all, have it on all my bikes, have tried pretty much every other brand out there and always come back to this.
Pretty sure I have that (or possibly the same thing branded as Vel, the Sigma Sports house brand) on my city lockup bike. Bought it on price alone and I was really pleasantly surprised. Definitely outperforms its price point, and it’s really not even much of a step down from the supacaz stuff I’m using on all my ‘good’ bikes. Perhaps slightly less shock absorbing but otherwise just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X5SAE

by X5SAE

I love my Silca Nastro Cuscino 2.5 mm tape. Very grippy and brilliant vibration damping.

I have the 3.75 mm on my gravel bike, but that's a pain to get into the bar ends and to put the plugs IMHO.
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Looking for a firmer bar tape.

Currently running some Cinelli cork tape, which is way too soft for my liking. Feels vague and too squishy when sprinting.

Is there something thinner and firmer out there?

C36

by C36

Velox cork type are way firmer, too much for me but that may be perfect for you!

Flasher

by Flasher

stevec1975 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:25 am
I love the Lifeline (Wiggle) Professional Bar Tape, (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/l ... d-bar-tape)

Bought this after the recommendation, just lovely stuff and so cheap, now on 3 bikes :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:41 pm
Looking for a firmer bar tape.

Currently running some Cinelli cork tape, which is way too soft for my liking. Feels vague and too squishy when sprinting.

Is there something thinner and firmer out there?
Acros silicone bar tape is excellent.