The ideal bar tape (which, when and why)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

chops wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:40 pm
What width do you use?
19mm, it was the widest I could find at the time. If there are any wider ones they will be lighter due to less overlap.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Image[/url][/img]

Burgh tape is my current fav. Soft, feels really nice to the touch and comes in some great designs.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zero7

by Zero7

What electrical tape do you guys find works best to finish off. One that doesn't leave residue

Zero7

by Zero7

Duplicate

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Zero7 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:08 am
What electrical tape do you guys find works best to finish off. One that doesn't leave residue
Myself, I use Nitto tape but then cover it with a wrap or two of silicone repair tape.... not really needed but just me.
BB

Coffee & carbon

C36

by C36

Zero7 wrote:What electrical tape do you guys find works best to finish off. One that doesn't leave residue
I gave up on electrical tape and went to silicon self fusing tape. Either black or transparent depending of the bar tape color I use. It as no glue at all, then do no leave any residue and if properly applied, it can’t become lose.

Now, for tape I either used 3m scotch super 88 (0.22mm, thicker than the classic super 33) with above 100degC rating. I also used Tesa tesaflex 4163, thinner (0.13mm) but easier to find.
Overall if you don’t stretch it too much, the tape last way longer.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

The trouble with electrical tape, and I say this as an electrician. Is that the quality of the tape has gradually got worse over the last 10 years or so. There's a big difference between good and bad tape. And it's effected by temperature.

C36

by C36

TurboTommy wrote:The trouble with electrical tape, and I say this as an electrician. Is that the quality of the tape has gradually got worse over the last 10 years or so. There's a big difference between good and bad tape. And it's effected by temperature.
Curious then what do you still recommend?

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

C36 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am
TurboTommy wrote:The trouble with electrical tape, and I say this as an electrician. Is that the quality of the tape has gradually got worse over the last 10 years or so. There's a big difference between good and bad tape. And it's effected by temperature.
Curious then what do you still recommend?

Out of the tapes that are available today I'd prob go for 3M tape. I think they have a range of two or 3 tapes which vary in thinkness and pliability etc. What I'm looking for is a tape that has some elasticity to it and isn't too tacky. If you buy a cheaper generic tape you often find they're overly effected by changing temperature and maybe they don't have any give in them. And sometimes the self adhesive nature of them makes them work more like a sellotape than an electricians tape. I think a sign of a good tape is when it's doesn't leave a tacky mark after you remove it.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Is there way to avoid this sliding happening or due to present-day poor quality of electrical tape? Only slighty tightened Nitto tape.

jlok

by jlok

Ditch the electrician tape and use instant glue to fix the tape instead?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Fabric knurl is perfectly decent, light enough, and not expensive. I do recall the bar tape on my TCR advanced pro being very nice, too. Supacaz is bling and feels good but is heavy and expensive.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Went back to plain old Deda Elementi "Logo" tape after messing around a bit with other stuff (Fizik, Lizardskins, etc.). It's cheap, light, easy to wrap, grips well in dry or wet conditions, and is durable and easy to clean.

ArtV

by ArtV

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:57 pm
Went back to plain old Deda Elementi "Logo" tape after messing around a bit with other stuff (Fizik, Lizardskins, etc.). It's cheap, light, easy to wrap, grips well in dry or wet conditions, and is durable and easy to clean.
I did the same.

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

Fabric Knurl is my favourite

Has anyone worked out how to do the finish taping shown by a few mechs, it looks very narrow like 4-5mm and appears to wrap around the edge of the bar tape and underneath. Must be secured with glue:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-II9klx6k ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6ZZzoFihJ ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGV4_ukFB0P ... _copy_link

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com