CAAD13

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Saw the CAAD13 pop up on the UCI list of approved models (and the Cervelo that was there last week is now gone).

Has anyone heard anything about this new Cannondale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Nice to see both disc and rim versions. I can only assume that a refresh of the Supersix must be on the way as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Yeah the Evo isn't listed yet but CAAD and SuperSix updates usually arrive together and the next Evo is heavily rumored to be launched just before the Tour, perhaps raced here and there by EF before that... The CAAD12 was seen before it was official too on lower level team Cylance in US crits, maybe we will see the Aevolo guys on them?

I'm not sure what to expect for the rim brake models, maybe just some fine-tuning of tube shapes to save a few watts of aero drag, maybe try to save a few grams... I have seen a few complaints about the CAAD12 in smaller sizes where the horizontal top-tube is too horizontal resulting in too long seat tubes for given saddle heights, but we'll see. The current rim-brake Evo already fixed all my personal little nitpicking from the first Evo so I'm curious to see what's coming.

I think the disc models wont be an after-thought this time around and see a more dramatic update compared to the rim brake models, they probably focused on the disc versions more than rim versions now in fact. Speed-Release thru-axles are a given, hoping the disc framesets get lighter, the Evo will surely get an internal wedge seatpost clamp like all the latest carbon Cannondale frames...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I'm not sure what to expect for the rim brake models, maybe just some fine-tuning of tube shapes to save a few watts of aero drag, maybe try to save a few grams... I have seen a few complaints about the CAAD12 in smaller sizes where the horizontal top-tube is too horizontal resulting in too long seat tubes for given saddle heights, but we'll see.

This was a huge complaint about the initial MY2016 release. So much that for MY2017 they improved standover clearance on the 44-52cm frames by sloping the TT.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

I was considering buying a CAAD12 disc, but I didn't want quick release axles in the rear and they only are selling the 105 version this year. I love the CAAD, but I didn't want to fuss with changing end caps on my rear wheel's hub. But it's the most economical bike and I love the cranks/spiders. Hopefully they have an Ultegra/di2 version!

The only problem is that I hear about the next bike getting released, so I keep putting off my next bike purchase because they may be exactly what I want!

dcorn

by dcorn

What are they going to upgrade this time? Straighter tubes than before? Thru axle rim brake??

NordicSal

by NordicSal

This is the news I have been waiting for. A thru-axled disc CAAD12 and I am sold. I think I will postpone my bike purchase then.

When do you guys expect release, around summer?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dcorn wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 pm
Thru axle rim brake??
I know this is a joke, but bm0p700f has in the past expressed a desire for this. I laugh every time.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
dcorn wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 pm
Thru axle rim brake??
I know this is a joke, but bm0p700f has in the past expressed a desire for this. I laugh every time.
sorry for being ignorant. But isn't through axle rim brake the best of both worlds? Stiffness + not the weight of disc?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No. In the absence of disc brakes, a standard quick release skewer is best. Why?
- It is light.
- It is quick (hence the name), a simple flip of the lever and the wheel drops out.
- It does not have to resist the assymetric forces of disc braking and the inherent “twisting” of the fork due to all the braking being concentrated on one side of the axle, thus does not need to be as stiff as a thru axle does. The thru axle needs to help resist that twist if the fork legs haven’t been beefed up enough to compensate for those additional forces bestowed upon the system by discs.
- It works
- It works well
- you won’t lose a grand tour due to your highly paid mechanic fussing about with getting your wheel back in quickly enough.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Plus it presents weird backwards or forwards compatibility issues. Ain’t no one got time to flesh out 130mm TA hub options or 135mm hubs without disc rotor mounts. Sure they already exist in some niche capacity, but it’s a complete dead-end technology-wise. And why? The bracing angles aren’t needed. It’s pointless added complexity.

silvalis

by silvalis

Will the 13 be painted on upside down?
Chasse patate

jlok

by jlok

I hope Cannondale could bring back the old days of CAAD stiffness. The characters were lost maybe since SS Evo touting comfort but not stiffness. I'm not sure what differentiat Cannondale from the competitions.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

jlok wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm
I hope Cannondale could bring back the old days of CAAD stiffness. The characters were lost maybe since SS Evo touting comfort but not stiffness. I'm not sure what differentiat Cannondale from the competitions.
That is crazy. The CAAD12 is already ridiculously stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

jlok wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm
Granted, I only test ride a 2017 SuperSix HiMod (the team version with Ultegra and lesser kit), but I wasn’t overly impressed with the bottom bracket stiffness. I thought the CAAD12 was stiffer, even not as stiff but not that far from the Allez Sprint.