Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

nhr89 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 am
News from the wheels problem.

As I though the problem is indeed the space between the ratchet part of the hub where the centerlock rotor goes in and the rest of the hub.

The shims I bought solved the issue. 3shims of 0.2mm on the front hub was needed to stop the noise after braking. Before I could easly put the front wheel screaming, now I can't, but was able to put the rear wheel doing the same noise after a long hard descent with a lot of switchbacks.

Now on the rear hub there are 2shims too, so hopefully.... will never ear that screaming noise ever again.

Basically? Vision has a terrible design for the rotor centerlock bed as I though, at least for the Service Course models

My noise is identical to yours!! Do you have part numbers for the shims?

nhr89

by nhr89

look at ebay.co.uk for: "Centerlock disc brakes shim spacer 5pc. bag"

They came from Czech Republic, have a thigh fit and worked great for me. Till now, no issues.

But you have the problem too after braking or when braking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Or, if you're in the US, November sells them https://novemberbicycles.com/collection ... -pack-of-4

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

nhr89 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 pm
look at ebay.co.uk for: "Centerlock disc brakes shim spacer 5pc. bag"

They came from Czech Republic, have a thigh fit and worked great for me. Till now, no issues.

But you have the problem too after braking or when braking?
Only after braking

Calbs

by Calbs

I also have the "after braking" howling on my OMX with Vision DB, but on the front only.

Will try the spacer fix.

Also have some play in the rear hub, but that's another issue...

nhr89

by nhr89

I knew I couldn't be the only one.

The weird part is the number of bikes sold with that wheels, and couldn't find anything about the issue on the internet.

Calbs

by Calbs

Yea, tried realigning caliper, cleaning pads and rotors, credit card spacers - bike shop had a go too.

At the moment, it's not too bad, but used one of those "slip over" spacer gauges to get it fully centred. Squeezing brakes with the loose caliper was hopeless. Embarrassing on a group ride after a steep braking sections with the front brake howling as we accelerate out of a corner...

Koev

by Koev

Anyone tried to mount an Vision Metron 5D ACR on the Orca OMX or OMR2021?
Can you confirm that the integrated cabling route through the headset will fit?
Attachments
vision metron 5d acr schematic.JPG
vision metron 5d acr photo.JPG
Dutch

Orbea Orca OMX 2020
Startersbike: Cube Attain 2017 (mounted@ Tacx Neo2)

nhr89

by nhr89

Koev wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am
It may work, but you have to probably make some changes.

In the Orca OMX cable routing, the cables come from the sides of the steer tube and not the front of the steer tube as in the Vision system.

Maybe changing the spacers all together and the stem/handlebar that difference won't make a problem, however, you have a piece that is under the spacers that make the cables go to the side... unless you modify that piece or find a similar piece or someone make you one(3d printing), don't think you will be lucky. Or maybe... you don't need that piece at all with that one piece? Don't know

Koev

by Koev

nhr89 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm
Koev wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am
It may work, but you have to probably make some changes.

In the Orca OMX cable routing, the cables come from the sides of the steer tube and not the front of the steer tube as in the Vision system.

Maybe changing the spacers all together and the stem/handlebar that difference won't make a problem, however, you have a piece that is under the spacers that make the cables go to the side... unless you modify that piece or find a similar piece or someone make you one(3d printing), don't think you will be lucky. Or maybe... you don't need that piece at all with that one piece? Don't know
Thank you, you are right, I did some research and found this picture in the bluepaper on the orbea website. Not sure if i could just drill some holes, ill think about a solution, thanks anyway.
Attachments
orca omx cable route headset.JPG
Dutch

Orbea Orca OMX 2020
Startersbike: Cube Attain 2017 (mounted@ Tacx Neo2)

Calbs

by Calbs

I've now fitted two 0.2mm shims to the front hub, and it's improved the noise. I can still hear a bit of rub after very hard braking, but no howling. The rotor is not perfectly true, so I'll see to that and hopefully that gets rid of any residual noise.

However, I noticed a small paint blemish near where the seatpost is inserted into the frame. I'm pretty sure it had got bigger, so took out the seatpost, and pressed from the inside out and could make the mark open up a tiny bit. Bike was delivered in September, and seatpost binder torqued to the 8Nm, so really surprised. Will see what the bike shop has to say once our mini-lockdown here in Perth is over. I've attached a pic, and also one of the entire bike just because.
OMX2_LI.jpg
BAAW.jpg

nhr89

by nhr89

Calbs wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 am
I've now fitted two 0.2mm shims to the front hub, and it's improved the noise. I can still hear a bit of rub after very hard braking, but no howling. The rotor is not perfectly true, so I'll see to that and hopefully that gets rid of any residual noise.

However, I noticed a small paint blemish near where the seatpost is inserted into the frame. I'm pretty sure it had got bigger, so took out the seatpost, and pressed from the inside out and could make the mark open up a tiny bit. Bike was delivered in September, and seatpost binder torqued to the 8Nm, so really surprised. Will see what the bike shop has to say once our mini-lockdown here in Perth is over. I've attached a pic, and also one of the entire bike just because.

OMX2_LI.jpg

BAAW.jpg
The rub in disc brakes will always be there, the screaming part is the part that should never be there xD. I needed 3 in the front brake to stop the howling completely.

The rotor with the shims attached, goes easily in place when trying to allign the brake caliper?

About the crack... well... if you push from the inside and it opens up... isn't only cosmetic for sure. Talk to the shop because it will probably means new frame.

Calbs

by Calbs

Yes - went in easily, then I adjusted out residual rub by centering the caliper with one of those "slide over" double-side feeler gauges. Worked first time.

If it's cracked (as I suspect it is), it means a new frame. However, there's an eight month backlog of orders for OMX's at the moment (wouldn't want an off-the-rack livery).

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Anyone ordered a custom bike lately? wondering how long it takes to get one?

PinaRene

by PinaRene

In my case ( Dutch dealer ) it would take something between 6 or 8 months. That's for a custom colour - and for a loose frameset. Custom colour complete bike wasn't availlable anymore in 2021. Informed about that in Dec 2020.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com