Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Koev

by Koev

@Barbaar, I'd vote to get an OMX, got 1200km on it and I love riding it. Both on flats and climbing.

Only point is the axle and dropout, with the special thread (Mavic double lead-in 1.0). Any of you OMX owners know if changing the RD mount (this has the thread if I'm not mistaken) to another thread is possible? I've got an issue mounting the bike on my Tacx Neo and changing to "normal" axle and thread could be a solution.
Dutch

Orbea Orca OMX 2020
Startersbike: Cube Attain 2017 (mounted@ Tacx Neo2)

Konsi

by Konsi

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 am

I undercut these weights (remember mine includes pedals, the relatively mid weight Assioma single) by the wheels; by a lighter drive train, SRAM mechanical hydraulic disc with Easton EC90 47 \ 32 cranks; and by a haero 156g featherlight but stiff bar. On the negative side weight wise I am still using tubes, that plus size 32 tires (even though mine are shockingly light) probably add grams to the stock size 25 tubeless builds.
What chainrings are those :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cjm

by cjm

The new Orca OMR looks interesting, only just spotted it.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Been an Orbea customer and fan for many years. Despite what they told me at the end of last year, they have eliminated rim brake frames. Oh well. Their loss. When my current OMR goes titsup It's going to be Basso Diamante time.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

check6

by check6

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 am
Been an Orbea customer and fan for many years. Despite what they told me at the end of last year, they have eliminated rim brake frames. Oh well. Their loss. When my current OMR goes titsup It's going to be Basso Diamante time.

The way things are going gotta wonder if the Diamanté will even be offered in rim by then :noidea: :noidea:

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

Hey there, I've taken ownership of my new orbea orca m20iteam ultegra di2 a couple months ago. I really want to get the weight down on this bike. I was shocked to see what it weighed when I got it. With pedals, size 57, the bike weighed 18.5lbs. Or 8.39kg. Now part of this is my fault. I opted for the aluminum powerbox crankset upgrade. I did not realize this crankset weighs almost 1000 grams. So I'm working on that now as I've just ordered a new crankset, quarq dfour, durace rings, and sram red arms. According to my calculations, the new crankset should come in around 650 grams and save me 350grams, albeit, not cheap.
The other upgrade I really want to do is go to an aero bar, but not at the expense of more weight. I'm looking at the fsa Metron 5d acr. Typically I don't think this would be any weight savings, but I'm thinking it may if I can ditch the stock stem. My only concern would be how the cable routing would work with the stock headset.
I'm set up tubeless, but on the stock fusion 5 all season tires(blah). So im planning to do some research and get some lighter tlr tires if possible. Thinking I can save 100 grams here possibly.
Next place I think I'll go to shave some weight will be switching from an ultegra cassette to a duraace.

Any other suggestions for some easy weight savings??

mrlobber

by mrlobber

This one? https://www.orbea.com/lv-en/bicycles/ro ... ca-m20iltd
Or this? https://www.orbea.com/lv-en/bicycles/ro ... a-m20iteam

The stock stem is super heavy. Not sure if Acros integrated routing headset is the same as FSA's ACR system... if it is, the Metron 5D, albeit on the heavy side, would still save you some grams, I reckon. Or change the Orbea bar to something like Haero R145SL, definitely 50+ grams saved.

Your wheels are in the 1800g range as well, well built LightBicycle or Farsports 40mm will save you up to 500g, and be infinitely more aero as well :D

Not sure if DA cassette is worth it, plus you're risking for it to break, get SRAM Red cassette instead.

Seatpost is traditional 27.2, lots of options, I personally would go Ritchey Superlogic route or full bonanza with Darimo.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

Sorry, it is the m20iltd

Alfus

by Alfus

Chavis0304 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Next place I think I'll go to shave some weight will be switching from an ultegra cassette to a duraace.

This is not a good idea...

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

Alfus wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:04 pm
Chavis0304 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:21 pm

This is not a good idea...
Ok. I'll check out some other options

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Chavis0304 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm
Sorry, it is the m20iltd
Damn, I have an M20iLTD on order as well, that weight doesn't look any good :shock:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

Going to try here rather then start a new thread. On my 2020 orca m20iltd-d I get some brake disc rub on one side when standing. When I throw the bike to one side it's a pretty good rub. So I'm trying to figure this out. It's not a warped or bent rotor. I'm thinking maybe flex in the thru axle? The caliper looks dead center but maybe I can manually adjust it to the direction it would need to go so that it wouldn't rub? Looking for some ideas. I'm wondering if there is a stronger axle option out there. To be fair, I'm 90kg and I get front brake rub when standing climbing on my mtb, and cx bike as well. Is this something I just have to deal with?

corky

by corky

Could be wheel flex......ie. hub,spoke,rim combo......can you try another wheel or borrow one?

Koev

by Koev

Maybe a weird idea, but between the brake pads is a component that spreads them/pushes and holds them back. is it working properly? no dirt etc?
Dutch

Orbea Orca OMX 2020
Startersbike: Cube Attain 2017 (mounted@ Tacx Neo2)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

corky wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 am
Could be wheel flex......ie. hub,spoke,rim combo......can you try another wheel or borrow one?
I've discussed this with a couple long time cyclists and mechanics last night. I thought about wheel flex and spoke tension. But being the disc is attached to the hub, I don't think spoke tension and wheel flex from spoke tension would really play a role here. Which led us to the hub and thru axle, and of course fork flex. I'm going to pull the wheel when I get home today and make sure everything with the hub is tight.