Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

Koev wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:57 am
Maybe a weird idea, but between the brake pads is a component that spreads them/pushes and holds them back. is it working properly? no dirt etc?
It's certainly something I can check. When I look at it in the stand the spacing looks adequate and perfectly even from one side of the disc to the other.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheMadWeasel

by TheMadWeasel

Hello fellow Orbea Orca OMX fans

I am currently in need of replacing my old, aging and unfortunately broken Trek 5500 USPS edition 2003, fitted with Campagnolo Record groupset.
Long story short: the BB shell is broken and completely worn out.

You'll probably see me coming with my question: I am interested in the Orbea Orca OMX, but I actually want to have it fitted with Campagnolo Chorus or Record 12 speed disc. Not because I dislike or dispise Shimano, nor SRAM, it's just that I am so accustomed to Campagnolo (especially the thumb shifters) that I don't want anything else. I tried Shimano Ultegra R8000, but it just wasn't for me tbh.

The question: According to Tarkus in this thread, Orbea has confirmed him that Campa 12 speed mechanical should work but that the EPS versions of Record en Super Record (way above my budget anyway) wouldn't work.
However, when I contacted Orbea myself, they said that 12 Speed campa will NOT work, only the EPS versions of Record and Super Record?!

In addition, when I asked a LBS who is an Orbea dealer, he told me he thinks it might work, while another local LBS Orbea dealer told me it will not work!

So... Can anybody confirm for good that you can build up an Orbea Orca OMX with Campagnolo 12 speed mechanical (either Chorus or Record).
Thank you so much!

barbaar

by barbaar

barbaar wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am
In the meantime, I got confirmation from both Orbea and my LBS (Who also checked at Orbea) that the 2021 Orca OMX is Campy SR Disc EPS compatible.

If only I could make up my mind about going aero (non-Orbea), and if not what color combo Orca OMX I want ;)
Have Fun! I decided not to go for an Orbea after all..
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

superyeho

by superyeho

I see two different models of the OMR in the orbea page , M20 and M20 Team , is the frame (and fork) the same? and the only difference in price has to do with components? If you compare them , it shows as if the fork is not the same...
thanks

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Why wouldn't 12s mechanical Work? On Orbeas homepage you can find some very fine info in their White papers.
The OMX frame Works with mechanical Shimano do there must be room for 4 cables/hoses through the stem and headset
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

TedTan

by TedTan

Hi,I’m thinking to get myself a Orca Omx.
I’m very confusing between 47 and 49cm frame size.
My height is 168cm and inseam 75cm.
Appreciate if any member here can advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhr89

by nhr89

Koev wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:57 am
Maybe a weird idea, but between the brake pads is a component that spreads them/pushes and holds them back. is it working properly? no dirt etc?
Chavis0304 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:26 pm
It's certainly something I can check. When I look at it in the stand the spacing looks adequate and perfectly even from one side of the disc to the other.
Well... are your wheels the Vision SC40 carbon? If yes, the problem almost certainly is with the seat of the disc on the hub. Unfurtunately I suffer from a way worst problem then yours. Unfurtunately the hub centerlock part of that wheels is different then the most part of the brands. Almost all have a small smooth before the dentend part and then smooth again almost like same size, and the Vison ones do not, the inside smooth part is wayyyyyyy bigger and my idea is that tends to make the rotor out of line compared to the calipers and maybe when warm to create some imbalance I don't know.

I already tried with a Novatec hub and a Dtswiss hub and that does not happen. Orbea even sent me a pair of new Vision SC because the problem would be within the pair I got 1st, but even if in the 2nd it got better, the problem I have still persists.

My problem happens after some harder breaking when leaving the pressure of the brakes, the rotor starts to make a irritating noise that does not happen when braking and that does not happen with any of the other 2 branded wheels. And It does not happen alone with the Orbea Orca OMX, I asked a friend to test the wheel on A Specialized Venge Pro 2019 and the problem on his bike persisted. I even got a video of him testing the front wheel.

I will post the video if I can.

I'm still trying to work around the problem, with some 0.2mm shims... but still testing. Alreayd on 3shims on the inside to see if the problem solve itself.

And I'm too a 90kg dude.

Please don't tell me that it can be the caliper, because I bought the bike with Sram Force AXS, sold it because couldn't deal with the same noise but 2x worst, and then gone to duraace and my friend is ultegra... so can't be a problem with brake or caliper... basically... this never seen by me or by anyone I talk to... mechanics or dealers already costed me money... as if the bike wasn't enough :(

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Just sounds like comtinated pad/rotor to me...
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

nhr89

by nhr89

timmerrr wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 pm
Just sounds like comtinated pad/rotor to me...
Cannot be...I said that is not when I'm braking, but after it.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

there was a review on a bicycle by one of the regular outfits that had to modify the metrons for disc fitment - can't seem to find it though- not sure if same problem...

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

the video does not show much, sounds like the rotor was not properly bedded in

nhr89

by nhr89

rotor is properly bedded in. As I told before, the brake/rotor/wheel noise AFTER AFTER AFTER AFTER BRAKING only occurs on the Vision SC 40 Front Wheel, DOES NOT HAPPEN on the Dtswiss wheel or the Novatec Wheel with te SAME ROTOR AND CALIPERS

Maybe the rear wheel happens too, but not so present, normally the front one is a lot noisier. the 1st pair I got, Icould hear the problem on the rear wheel too, but the 2nd pair, if it happens, is like minimum presence.
rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm
there was a review on a bicycle by one of the regular outfits that had to modify the metrons for disc fitment - can't seem to find it though- not sure if same problem...
I don't know what kind of "modify" you're talking about, but would be interesting for me if you could find it eheheheh.

For now I've bought some 0.2mm shims(this stuff is crazy expensive for what it is... but I guess they are hard to make), and are using 3 of them on the front Centerlock bed before I put on the disc, because I think that the problem happens because the bed makes the rotor go to the wrong position, because it is so out of center, no matter what method I use to center the calipers to the rotor, would it be lock the brakes when torquing the bolts of the caliper, or use a spacer on both sides of the rotor, it always get the inner brake pad to rub on the rotor, not a little bit, but like continuous rub. The only way I get, is to hardly force the caliper to the outside to get it a little bit of space between the rotor and the caliper. And even so, the space isn't the same as the outside brake pad and rotor. Now with the 3shims when I try to center the caliper to the rotor, I only get a little point of rubbing on the rotor, and it happens on a little point that the rotor bent a bit, will try to remove that bent, but for now I'm testing as it is, to see if the noise appears.
For now... yesterday I rode the descent(with the 3shims) I would normally make the front wheel cringe as hell, and all I got was the normal rotor rub on the caliper 3-5seconds after stop braking, and not that irritating noise

Basically.... this has been annoying as hell.... I almost want to obligate Orbea to make a deal with me, to change the Vision wheels for the DTSwiss or Mavic.

And I can't believe that as they tell me... I'm the only one with the problem. Unless that the problem is the complete interface, wheel plus fork plus brakes... but then again... IT would happen with the other wheels no?

There are bigger and heavier guys then me... and all OMX bikes are coming with the vision wheels...

damond

by damond

I had a similar problem on my MTB and it turned out to be the rotor bolts were not properly tightned. The hub was not centerlock as your so might not be the same issue. Did you try to change to a different rotor to check if it was a problem with the rotor and not with the wheel?

nhr89

by nhr89

damond wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm
I had a similar problem on my MTB and it turned out to be the rotor bolts were not properly tightned. The hub was not centerlock as your so might not be the same issue. Did you try to change to a different rotor to check if it was a problem with the rotor and not with the wheel?
Had full Sram Force AXS before changing to Shimano, so with Sram Rotors... and the noise was there, that at the time made me change to Shimano, because I had seen online issues of noise with Sram brakes(but only when braking), and though that the problem was with the groupset and sold it and bought mechanical Shimano Dura Ace(I love the mind free of the cables xD), now I know it wasn't... money "wasted".

Oh... and on the SRAM the sound was 3times worst... because the noise was like if someone was screaming for help... couldn't deal with it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nhr89

by nhr89

News from the wheels problem.

As I though the problem is indeed the space between the ratchet part of the hub where the centerlock rotor goes in and the rest of the hub.

The shims I bought solved the issue. 3shims of 0.2mm on the front hub was needed to stop the noise after braking. Before I could easly put the front wheel screaming, now I can't, but was able to put the rear wheel doing the same noise after a long hard descent with a lot of switchbacks.

Now on the rear hub there are 2shims too, so hopefully.... will never ear that screaming noise ever again.

Basically? Vision has a terrible design for the rotor centerlock bed as I though, at least for the Service Course models