Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomee

by tomee

takashi24 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm
Hi,

I interested purchase this rim. I watched youtuber Ride of Japan which he said the wheel gave him most problems and read all the comment available here.

It's going to be my primary all-day wheelset. I would like to know what know more any problem owner in here facing and what are the extra miles take to make sure these Extralite wheel works same as the first receive them? Any long term review?

FYI, the road in my cycling route are not butter smooth and some times caught off guard hitting potholes. Should I be worry if using it?

Look forward more feedback about Xtralite Cyber disc 38C owner. Thanks in advance :wink:
for an everyday, you'd think to avoid. i mean the pawls are held in place by a rubber O ring

takashi24

by takashi24

tomee wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 am

for an everyday, you'd think to avoid. i mean the pawls are held in place by a rubber O ring
Is this mean all wheel build using Extralite SPD2 hub I should avoid?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

hmmm had them for nearly 12 months and use them all year round, the hubs spin as amooth as the day i bought them...
There is an interesting video on youtube from DarkInstall about servicing Extralite Hubs....
Also I have Extralite hubs across my wheel range fromCX, Mtb to Road, on my MTB they have been on since 2012 and performed without issues. Infact serviced just once....

CryptoQue

by CryptoQue

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 am
It was great being large in the school yard but since then it's been downhill all the way (literally). Really nice wheels, (no bead hooks) but I'm afraid I am just too big. Sometimes it would be nice to be the size of a jockey.
I'm 194lbs 88kgs, I'm thinking of buying these just b/c of the price. I can relate to you saying being the size of a jockey but to me cycling doesn't reflect average male body size/proportions. Sure there are large powerful sprinters but they are few & far between with lithe builds & climbers of smaller stature winning the day.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'm a wheelbuilder. The AX series of rims are great for road use. The wider "CC" series (~25mm bed) are actually good for gravel rather than MTB.

The key to these wheels is indeed the spokes. Depending on the source, I have seen these rims built into wheelsets spoked with
Sapim CX-Ray, Sapim CX-Super, Pillar Megalite, or even Pillar XLite.
Using the lightest of these, the "Ultra" series of shallow rims (~195g) can therefore be built as low as 750g. for a stock wheelset.

So consider whether your hubs take J-bends or straight pulls. Straight works better for both road & gravel.
The CX-Ray spoke has a more than adequate weight vs. stiffness, given its weight and accordant tensile strength.
Where you can go wrong is to use a superlight J-bend spoke.

The Extralite Cyber series hubs themselves are awesome. Note that there is a central core on the front hub, and the flanges can rotate independently
to compensate for the build quality. But again, the performance of these wheels with superlight rims is feel-able mostly on account of the spokes.
The heavier the rider, the heavier the spokes.
Others may take issue, i.e. saying that spoke number is the key, but spoke properties are where it's at. That's my firm opinion.

George46GR

by George46GR

Dear @UpFromOne, would you suggest the Extralite Cyberdisc 38C wheelset (1070 gr) for a 86 kg (relatively strong) rider? Or they are very delicate ? I want them for every day use (road use only, not gravel) with a lot of climbing and decents. Our roads here in my areas are not the best in the world....

Alternatively, I am thinking of the Extralite CyberFront and Read SPD 2 hubs (the same used with the Cyberdisks 38C), with the Parcours Grimpeur 40 mm rims. The Grimpeur rims come at 405 gr each, so a wheelst with them, the extralite hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes is expected to reach 1270 gr.

Thank you very much in advance, George.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

George46GR wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 pm
Dear @UpFromOne, would you suggest the Extralite Cyberdisc 38C wheelset (1070 gr) for a 86 kg (relatively strong) rider? Or they are very delicate ? I want them for every day use (road use only, not gravel) with a lot of climbing and decents. Our roads here in my areas are not the best in the world....

Alternatively, I am thinking of the Extralite CyberFront and Rear SPD 2 hubs (the same used with the Cyberdisks 38C), with the Parcours Grimpeur 40 mm rims. The Grimpeur rims come at 405 gr each, so a wheelst with them, the extralite hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes is expected to reach 1270 gr.

Thank you very much in advance, George.
Yes, at 86kg, you aren't going to fare well with an 800g wheelset.
With the 40mm rims you mention, I'd suggest Sapim CX-Sprint aero spokes, the step up in weight from Rays:
https://www.sapim.be/spokes/aero/cx-sprint

That'd be pushing 1300g, but just look at the heavy-but-aero wheels the pros are on these days. Some are like 1800g for a deep rim set.
Most riders are going for aero over weight, and a few grams at that point won't matter, these aren't climbing-specific wheels you're talking.

George46GR

by George46GR

[/quote]
With the 40mm rims you mention, I'd suggest Sapim CX-Sprint aero spokes, the step up in weight from Rays:

That'd be pushing 1300g, but just look at the heavy-but-aero wheels the pros are on these days. Some are like 1800g for a deep rim set.
Most riders are going for aero over weight, and a few grams at that point won't matter, these aren't climbing-specific wheels you're talking.
[/quote]

As far as I know, the Extralite Cyberdisk 38C wheelset is 1070 gr, not 800 gr.

a) What is your opinion about the Extrlite hubs: Can they manage my weight? With the right combination of spokes and rims of course....

Myself and a friend of mine have the same frame, same size. His wheelset is about 1250 gr while mine is 1580. gr When we exchanged our bikes (we sit at the same height), I immidiately (from the very first pedal stroke) realized that his bike/wheels spin faster and easier than mine.

I don't care that much about aero, as I care more about weight due to the fact that I love climbing as fast as possible, rather than sprinting on the flat. That's why I am looking for a lighter wheelset than mine (I now own a DT Swiss ERC 1400 disk brake wheelset).

Thus, I am looking for the lightest carbon disk brake wheelset possible (around 30 mm deep or bit more), that will offer acceptable reliability at the same time. I think that the extralite cyberrear and cyberfront SPD2 hubs are a good starting point, and I'm looking for the spokes and rims now.....

alanyu

by alanyu

George46GR wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:49 pm

[/quote]

As far as I know, the Extralite Cyberdisk 38C wheelset is 1070 gr, not 800 gr.

a) What is your opinion about the Extrlite hubs: Can they manage my weight? With the right combination of spokes and rims of course....

Myself and a friend of mine have the same frame, same size. His wheelset is about 1250 gr while mine is 1580. gr When we exchanged our bikes (we sit at the same height), I immidiately (from the very first pedal stroke) realized that his bike/wheels spin faster and easier than mine.

I don't care that much about aero, as I care more about weight due to the fact that I love climbing as fast as possible, rather than sprinting on the flat. That's why I am looking for a lighter wheelset than mine (I now own a DT Swiss ERC 1400 disk brake wheelset).

Thus, I am looking for the lightest carbon disk brake wheelset possible (around 30 mm deep or bit more), that will offer acceptable reliability at the same time. I think that the extralite cyberrear and cyberfront SPD2 hubs are a good starting point, and I'm looking for the spokes and rims now.....
[/quote]

Why not DT180s? They're ~66g heavier but more reliable on your weight. Note that 66g is on the hubs. The weight on rims and tires is what really makes you feel faster.

George46GR

by George46GR

Why not DT180s? They're ~66g heavier but more reliable on your weight. Note that 66g is on the hubs. The weight on rims and tires is what really makes you feel faster.

Cause my experience with DT Swiss hubs is not the best.... (due to my DT Swiss ERC 1400 Spline wheelset). I would like to try something else.

Could someone suggest/advise me on a (24-hole) pair of rims for disk brake wheels ? My weight is 86 kg. I would like them as light as possible, being also safe in descents.
I prefer clinchers (or tubuless ready) as I intend to use them as my everyday wheels, whereas tubulars are not prohibited.

hannawald

by hannawald

Not many options. Carbon Ti hubs, CX Rays and probably Light Bicycle 46mm rims, it will be universal wheelset in 13xx g territory. If you need lower weight, look for MCFK 35mm rims. If you don't need tubeless, Schmolke makes light 45mm rims (below 400g)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'd agree with that, George.
You can build a set under 1kg with 38-40mm clinchers, but it's the price of sourcing the separate components that would eat up any advantage over a pre-built wheelset.

George46GR

by George46GR

My goal is to built a reliable and safe wheelset at around 1100 to 1200 grams (30 up to 40 mm deep), pre-built OR custom. Both solutions are acceptable. The question is: Can the pre-built Extralite Cyberdisks 38C (1070 gr, 2100 euros) handle my 85 kg weight ? I have already e-mailed them, but they did not provide a clear answer....

jktan78

by jktan78

George46GR wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:51 pm
My goal is to built a reliable and safe wheelset at around 1100 to 1200 grams (30 up to 40 mm deep), pre-built OR custom. Both solutions are acceptable. The question is: Can the pre-built Extralite Cyberdisks 38C (1070 gr, 2100 euros) handle my 85 kg weight ? I have already e-mailed them, but they did not provide a clear answer....
Im ard 85kg. Been using the Extralite 38c Disc wheel for the past 3 mths (approx 2000km) on my F12 with no issue yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quentin68850

by Quentin68850

Do you have any opinion about the new spd-3 extralite hubs?
I'm going to make a 25mm front 30mm rear disc wheel with carbon spokes.

The pair will be 865g

The assembly is done by FicWheels which is the SoarRocs brand.
He recently got a Facebook page and he's really professional.

a pair for mountain pass races mounted chrono use on 2000 km annual.
They will equip the Cannondal systemsix.