Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gary71

by Gary71

riochang wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 am
Bought a set too, weight with dt Swiss rim tape is 1100g.
A quick ride around the block just now and they are noticeably easier to accelerate compare to my old wheels roval CLX50. Stiffness is very good too, at least I didn't hear any disc rub while standing.
They look great. What discs are they and did you have to realign your disc brakes going from your CLX's to the Extralites?
i.e can you interchange them without any disc brake rub?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I know they are not "aero"... but any stuck these in a wind tunnel yet ? I'd love to lose ~300g but if they are as aero as box section, I'll pass
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

riochang

by riochang

Gary71 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:33 pm
riochang wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 am
Bought a set too, weight with dt Swiss rim tape is 1100g.
A quick ride around the block just now and they are noticeably easier to accelerate compare to my old wheels roval CLX50. Stiffness is very good too, at least I didn't hear any disc rub while standing.
They look great. What discs are they and did you have to realign your disc brakes going from your CLX's to the Extralites?
i.e can you interchange them without any disc brake rub?
These are Carbon-Ti X-rotors in 160mm. I did have to realign my brake calipers going from CLX (centerlock) to Extralite (6-bolts)

riochang

by riochang

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm
I know they are not "aero"... but any stuck these in a wind tunnel yet ? I'd love to lose ~300g but if they are as aero as box section, I'll pass
I dont have a wind tunnel, but I do have direct comparison with my previous roval CLX 50. These extralite wheels are noticeably less susceptable to crosswind. On flat course, I can't really tell if I am losing speed compared to CLX50, since a slight change in my upper body position affects my speed much greater than the difference between these wheels, thus I'd say the aero difference is likely quite small, maybe in the matter of single digit watts.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

riochang wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:09 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm
I dont have a wind tunnel, but I do have direct comparison with my previous roval CLX 50. These extralite wheels are noticeably less susceptable to crosswind. On flat course, I can't really tell if I am losing speed compared to CLX50, since a slight change in my upper body position affects my speed much greater than the difference between these wheels, thus I'd say the aero difference is likely quite small, maybe in the matter of single digit watts.
yes 38 vs 50 and in my opinion CLX50 catch crosswind fairly easy..( I have those too) so what you say makes sense to me :thumbup:

refthimos

by refthimos

Got mine yesterday (thank you Starbike.com), and they came in at 1065g.

Shimano/SRAM freehub. No tape, valves, or anything else. Just the wheels.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Ok.... so 6 months on all good EXCEPT the spokes. So far two broken spokes and some very odd looking discolouration of the spokes around the bends means i have little confidence in the spokes. Going to get them relaced with some CX spokes.

Other than that.... all good

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mashiehood wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am
Ok.... so 6 months on all good EXCEPT the spokes. So far two broken spokes and some very odd looking discolouration of the spokes around the bends means i have little confidence in the spokes. Going to get them relaced with some CX spokes.

Other than that.... all good
pretty much echos you tuber "rides of Japan"...

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Can anybody with some kilometers and experience on the Cyberdiscs 38C comment on the lateral stiffness?

Since the wheelset is being built with only 24 / 24 spokes front and rear... do you feel any compromises in stiffness, especially when hitting bends at higher speeds?
Does it inspire confidence or does it get somehow wobbly?
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

DropBar
in the industry

by DropBar

opps sorry wrong post
Last edited by DropBar on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polynesian

by polynesian

I'm interested in the cyberdisc 38c wheelset from extralite, I've asked for a price but they haven't come back yet- can anyone confirm what ballpark they come in at? (Obviously dependent on options specified). Thanks

tonchy

by tonchy

Cca 2,1k€ (standard bearings).

takashi24

by takashi24

Hi,

I interested purchase this rim. I watched youtuber Ride of Japan which he said the wheel gave him most problems and read all the comment available here.

It's going to be my primary all-day wheelset. I would like to know what know more any problem owner in here facing and what are the extra miles take to make sure these Extralite wheel works same as the first receive them? Any long term review?

FYI, the road in my cycling route are not butter smooth and some times caught off guard hitting potholes. Should I be worry if using it?

Look forward more feedback about Xtralite Cyber disc 38C owner. Thanks in advance :wink:

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My friend has been riding his for right at a year and aside from the lackluster build quality, they've been problem free.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

tonytourist wrote:My friend has been riding his for right at a year and aside from the lackluster build quality, they've been problem free.
There is another thread on these in the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com