*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

There was some guy here on WW who recently posted trading in his SL8 for the Otro Vam II and felt it was more aero, faster. I know, I know, its a sample size of one. My main bike right now is a 2019 Cervelo R5 disk which comes in around 7-kg with pedals, bottle cages, and compuer mount for size 51. I expect my new Ostro to be around the same weight and significantly more aero.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

pmprego

by pmprego

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:21 pm
There was some guy here on WW who recently posted trading in his SL8 for the Otro Vam II and felt it was more aero, faster. I know, I know, its a sample size of one. My main bike right now is a 2019 Cervelo R5 disk which comes in around 7-kg with pedals, bottle cages, and compuer mount for size 51. I expect my new Ostro to be around the same weight and significantly more aero.
The only part that you or anybody would feel disappointed is the bolded part

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

Wouldn't trust a single thing from somebody who says they can "feel" a difference in speed between those bikes.
Last edited by toxin on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yeah, feel is hardly reliable to determine speed.

I swear I "feel" fastest on Cannondale SystemSix. It has very stiff direct ride and it catch crosswind too. Making me feel like the deep tube is really doing something (such as catch the wind and sail through it). It is indeed fast on flat smooth road.

However, my another bike: Cannondale Supersix, feel slow all the time. But the data which include Strava segment PR show that it is actually faster than SystemSix on "less than ideal" chip seal road and still have similar speed on perfect road condition. The bike is flexier, smoother and more stable. It make everything feel slower.

So... that sound like SL8 ride smoother than Ostro?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

When we experience what we believe, we create or own reality/ truth. Some are fed ideals making those the truth (media) and some are blinded by their own urge.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CR987

by CR987

Freewheeling down a straight hill at 70km/h next to my friend and his bike consistently pulls away from mine. Both in the drops, similar size, weight and build. Both have 50mm wheels with DT swiss 240 hubs. He rides a Colnago C64 and I am on a Cervelo S5. He has a totally non aero bike with round bars and I have one of the most aero bikes.
It doesn't bother me, I'm just posting for those who believe an aero bike will make a massive difference.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ oh that would bother me to no end.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

toxin

by toxin

body shape skill issue

Lina

by Lina

CR987 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:42 pm
Freewheeling down a straight hill at 70km/h next to my friend and his bike consistently pulls away from mine. Both in the drops, similar size, weight and build. Both have 50mm wheels with DT swiss 240 hubs. He rides a Colnago C64 and I am on a Cervelo S5. He has a totally non aero bike with round bars and I have one of the most aero bikes.
It doesn't bother me, I'm just posting for those who believe an aero bike will make a massive difference.
I don't think anyone here is claiming that frame aero is the only thing that matters.

Kevin7767

by Kevin7767

CR987 wrote:
I'd bet he is either actually heavier than you or is getting in a slightly more aero position.

Alex222

by Alex222

Same helmet and clothing?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Why this guessing on causes? Just swap bikes if you are both similar size, and do the same rolldown - see what happens.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
Why this guessing on causes? Just swap bikes if you are both similar size, and do the same rolldown - see what happens.
bingo...

like stated I'd be looking for an answer. Mainly because I am rarely out glided down a hill unless the person weighs significantly more then me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

refthimos

by refthimos

CR987 wrote:
I have the exact opposite experience on my S5 with Enve 6.7s, compared to all different kinds of bike on fast LA group rides. Simply illustrates that there are a whole host of other factors at play beyond the frame. With that, it's highly unlikely it's the S5 frameset that is slowing you down.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
The two bikes would need to be set up exactly the same though (stack, reach, bar width) and even then, you would need to test same rider on the two bikes, because using two different riders introduces way too many additional variables.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast